Netherlands
Local time: 19:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 9, 2009

G'day everyone

I posted a question about find/replace here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/152878-find_replace_across_multiple_files_multiple_directories.html
...on how to do find/replace of CRLF and LF (Dos and Unix line endings) and UTF8 byte order marks across multiple tex
... See more
G'day everyone

I posted a question about find/replace here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/152878-find_replace_across_multiple_files_multiple_directories.html
...on how to do find/replace of CRLF and LF (Dos and Unix line endings) and UTF8 byte order marks across multiple text files in multiple directories. Someone suggested that I simply load the files as a DVX project, do the find/replace, and then create the translated files as a result.

Well, I don't have DVX, so I'm asking here if this is truly possible. Can I load a bunch of text files (with any file extension) into DVX, and tell it to find "CRLF" (Dos line endings) and replace it with "LF" (Unix line endings)? And can I tell it to find EF BB BF (the UTF8 byte order mark) and remove it if it finds it? Oh, and can I be sure that DVX will open these text files as UTF8 even if they don't have a UTF8 byte order mark?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
DVX not appropriate for that Dec 9, 2009

First of all, DVX (as most CAT software) treats line breaks as segment breaks. They are therefore not even included in the segments, so how could you search for them and replace them?

Secondly, DVX doesn't display line breaks in segments, if for some reason they find their way into a segment, so you'd have to work blind.

Thirdly, I don't think you have any control over byte order marks in DVX. You can however specify the encoding you want to use regardless of the presen
... See more
First of all, DVX (as most CAT software) treats line breaks as segment breaks. They are therefore not even included in the segments, so how could you search for them and replace them?

Secondly, DVX doesn't display line breaks in segments, if for some reason they find their way into a segment, so you'd have to work blind.

Thirdly, I don't think you have any control over byte order marks in DVX. You can however specify the encoding you want to use regardless of the presence or absence of a BOM.

A great tool that comes to mind is Powergrep. It's not cheap, but you can get a trial version. You can do almost any search-and-replace actions across multiple files, and you have control over encodings (although not as easily as I would like). The only thing I'm not sure about is BOM control.

Endre

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-09 11:24 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-09 11:24 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 9, 2009

Endre Both wrote:
A great tool that comes to mind is Powergrep. It's not cheap, but you can get a trial version. You can do almost any search-and-replace actions across multiple files, and you have control over encodings (although not as easily as I would like). The only thing I'm not sure about is BOM control.

Thanks for the tip, but I have already tried Powergrep, and I was unsuccessful in using it. But someone else mentioned Okapi Rainbow, and I tried it, and it did what I wanted it to.

Thanks again.
Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find/replace CRLF, LF and EF BB BF in DVX

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »