Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
My DVX is getting buggy, could it be caused by the Microsoft auto updates?
Thread poster: Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Nov 4, 2009

I'm running DVX Professional build 7.5.303 on Windows Vista.

After using DVX for several years and loving its stability, suddenly I'm finding annoying glitches popping up -- often after a Microsoft update just installed. Nothing else has changed in my system that might cause the problems. Some examples:

1. Several months ago, it stopped exporting comments reliably. If I insert, say, 10 comments in a file, when I export it to Word only from 0 to 3 will actually show up i
... See more
I'm running DVX Professional build 7.5.303 on Windows Vista.

After using DVX for several years and loving its stability, suddenly I'm finding annoying glitches popping up -- often after a Microsoft update just installed. Nothing else has changed in my system that might cause the problems. Some examples:

1. Several months ago, it stopped exporting comments reliably. If I insert, say, 10 comments in a file, when I export it to Word only from 0 to 3 will actually show up in the Word file.

2. About a week ago, the autopropagate function started missing. I will have two strings that are identical in every way but it doesn't propagate when I hit alt-down. The match will show up in the autosearch window with no difference indicated and I can insert it from there, but that is extra work that I shouldn't have to be doing.

3. For a while I was also having unusual problems with the fonts I use (Vietnamese unicode) but that seems to have been resolved (knock on wood) after running repair on Deja Vu.

I'd love any and all advice on either how to fix specific problems 1. and 2. above, as well as general advice on why these sorts of issues might be popping up. Does anyone else have functions just suddenly stop working?
Collapse

Herbert Eppel
Herbert Eppel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
German to English
+ ...
DVX is rock solid Nov 4, 2009

Hi Rosemary
In my experience DVX is rock solid.
I suspect (but have no evidence) that your problems may be caused by the infamous Vista OS.
Regards

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
No problems here Nov 4, 2009

I am using DVX Workgroup Build 7.5.303 with Windows XP Pro (SP3).

I can not say anything regarding the comments problem, all comments are exported in my system.

As for the autopropagate problem...

All my project files, termbase and translation memories are in drive D, and I regularly use Disk Defragmanter program. I also recommend you to repair your project, it will help you to prevent the autopropagate problem.

Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree that Vista is awful Nov 4, 2009

...but I don't think it is the culprit here as I've been running DV on Vista for almost two years now and the problems just started a few months ago.

What OS do you run DV on? I am looking at other possible operating systems but from what I've read DV isn't recommended for non-PC platforms. I don't feel I can go back to XP, as much as I'd like to, because with the advent of Windows 7, XP will likely be phased out in the next year or so. That leaves me with either upgrading to Windo
... See more
...but I don't think it is the culprit here as I've been running DV on Vista for almost two years now and the problems just started a few months ago.

What OS do you run DV on? I am looking at other possible operating systems but from what I've read DV isn't recommended for non-PC platforms. I don't feel I can go back to XP, as much as I'd like to, because with the advent of Windows 7, XP will likely be phased out in the next year or so. That leaves me with either upgrading to Windows 7 or migrating to Linux or a Mac running Bootcamp or VMware. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Selcuk, thanks, I'll try those suggestions.
Collapse

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
OS and latest DVX Build Nov 4, 2009

Hi Rosemary

I have XP Pro SP3, and I'm quite happy with it (not in a desperate rush to try Windows 7).

I don't have personal experience with running DVX on non-Windows systems, but I know that various colleagues use it with Mac/VMWare Fusion/Parallels - you'll find plenty of info in the archive at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l

Linux is also
... See more
Hi Rosemary

I have XP Pro SP3, and I'm quite happy with it (not in a desperate rush to try Windows 7).

I don't have personal experience with running DVX on non-Windows systems, but I know that various colleagues use it with Mac/VMWare Fusion/Parallels - you'll find plenty of info in the archive at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l

Linux is also possible - see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/96428

As for your current problems with DVX, troubleshooting may be a little difficult without further specific details, but in any case, I can recommend upgrading to the unofficial latest Build 310 - see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/97002
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
English to Japanese
+ ...
No problem with Vista or XP Nov 4, 2009

My DVX (Workgroup and Professional, ver 7.5.303 on Vista and XP - I have several OS instances) is just a happy camper. I have Windows autoupdate feature turned on as well.

I second Seluk for repairing projects. I often change project/database settings and run into autopropagate/pretranslate problems myself, and usually repair/compact are the fixers.

Happy DVXing!

Rie

Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, repair and defrag did not solve the problem Nov 4, 2009

Since it seems I'm the only one having these problems, it has to be specific to my computer, which has admittedly been buggy since I bought it 2 years ago (the bugs just never affected DVX before). I guess I'm going to have to nuke it and reinstall everything *sigh*.

Herbert, thanks for that link, I'll try installing the new build. And since this installation of DV seems to be having problems, I'm thinking I should uninstall and reinstall from scratch. When I do that, do I have to
... See more
Since it seems I'm the only one having these problems, it has to be specific to my computer, which has admittedly been buggy since I bought it 2 years ago (the bugs just never affected DVX before). I guess I'm going to have to nuke it and reinstall everything *sigh*.

Herbert, thanks for that link, I'll try installing the new build. And since this installation of DV seems to be having problems, I'm thinking I should uninstall and reinstall from scratch. When I do that, do I have to do anything special to re-register my dongle?

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:21 GMT]
Collapse

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Run setupdrv.exe Nov 5, 2009

Rosemary Nguyen wrote:
When I do that, do I have to do anything special to re-register my dongle?

If DVX doesn't recognise the dongle, you can simply run C:\Program Files\ATRIL\Deja Vu X\Dongle\setupdrv.exe to re-register it.

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
ProZ does funny things to path names Nov 5, 2009

Herbert Eppel wrote:
simply run C:\Program Files\ATRIL\Deja Vu X\Dongle\setupdrv.exe to re-register it.

Mmmm, ProZ seems to do funny things to path names!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
French to Polish
+ ...
Paths on Proz Nov 5, 2009

Herbert Eppel wrote:

Herbert Eppel wrote:
simply run C:\Program Files\ATRIL\Deja Vu X\Dongle\setupdrv.exe to re-register it.

Mmmm, ProZ seems to do funny things to path names!

Put the backslash twice (easier) or use the "ampersand hash 92 semicolon" sequence, without spaces, of course (safer i.e. prevents stupid smileys).

Cheers
GG

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Trying again Nov 5, 2009

Thanks - let's see if this works:

If DVX doesn't recognise the dongle, you can simply run C:\\Program Files\\ATRIL\\Deja Vu X\\Dongle\\setupdrv.exe to re-register it.

Rosemary Nguyen
Rosemary Nguyen
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UPDATE Nov 11, 2009

Well per Herbert's suggestion, I upgraded DVX to the newest 310 version. I uninstalled DVX and installed 310 from scratch rather than updating. It recognized my dongle with no problem and appears to have solved the problem with exporting comments (at least in the one test file I exported, knock on wood!) but I am still having the problem with it not autopropagating exact matches. For example, I have two strings that say "Subject Diary" -- no codes, only two words, capitalization etc EXACTLY the ... See more
Well per Herbert's suggestion, I upgraded DVX to the newest 310 version. I uninstalled DVX and installed 310 from scratch rather than updating. It recognized my dongle with no problem and appears to have solved the problem with exporting comments (at least in the one test file I exported, knock on wood!) but I am still having the problem with it not autopropagating exact matches. For example, I have two strings that say "Subject Diary" -- no codes, only two words, capitalization etc EXACTLY the same -- yet it doesn't propagate when I hit alt + down. Other strings do propagate, it's this weird hit-and-miss thing.

Any suggestions at all? Is there some setting I am missing? Any font issue that could cause this?

In other news, I had a breakthrough with my computer so I'm not going to have to nuke it after all (yay!) But that also means that my computer probably isn't the problem here.

Oh, I just had a thought - my dongle got bent a few weeks ago (I bent it back) and the various problems I've been having started after that. Is there any chance it is related to an error in the dongle? Would it work well enough to enable me to use the program but mess up some of the program features?
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
shortcuts and settings Nov 11, 2009

Rosemary Nguyen wrote:

(...) but I am still having the problem with it not autopropagating exact matches. For example, I have two strings that say "Subject Diary" -- no codes, only two words, capitalization etc EXACTLY the same -- yet it doesn't propagate when I hit alt + down. Other strings do propagate, it's this weird hit-and-miss thing.

Any suggestions at all? Is there some setting I am missing?

The problem can be related to keyboard shortcuts

alt+down Go to Next Untranslated Row
ctrl+down Go to Next Row

As for the settings:

Options > Environment
On Ctrl+DownArrow
check AutoPropogate

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
getting buggy Nov 11, 2009

Hi all

I'm observing similar issues with MS Office and Trados

I'm quite convinced that the current and incessant flood of patches from dozens of softwares is the major contributor to these instabilities

In addition, many CATs use routines/DLLs (as Java, Net framework and so on) that are shared between many different softwares

For example, recently, I re-discovered what I said here on proz 1 year ago (Incompatibilità fra Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 e W
... See more
Hi all

I'm observing similar issues with MS Office and Trados

I'm quite convinced that the current and incessant flood of patches from dozens of softwares is the major contributor to these instabilities

In addition, many CATs use routines/DLLs (as Java, Net framework and so on) that are shared between many different softwares

For example, recently, I re-discovered what I said here on proz 1 year ago (Incompatibilità fra Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 e Word 2003)

It can be appear as an advantage, as programmers save programming efforts, but to me is a big disadvantage and I go on preferring softwares that use their own routines/DLLs; the best ones, to me, are softwares that don't need to be installed, unluckily they are very rare birds

last but not least, many people use softwares as Mechanic Register (I used it till few days ago and now I've uninstalled it for ever that not always know exactly what garbage in windows registry can be securely deleted

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-11-11 09:36 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2009-11-11 09:37 GMT]
Collapse

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Cleaning software Nov 11, 2009

Claudio Porcellana wrote:
last but not least, many people use softwares as Mechanic Register (I used it till few days ago and now I've uninstalled it for ever that not always know exactly what garbage in windows registry can be securely deleted

I'm not sure I can much further to the stability issue, but FWIW I use the free CCleaner software, and I'm quite happy with it - see http://www.ccleaner.com/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My DVX is getting buggy, could it be caused by the Microsoft auto updates?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »