saving the file
Thread poster: Karletto
Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2009

I'm probably going to cry..
The manual and a video said I can just close the program after the work is done. I pressed close button on top right corner and it started to save (i pressume). Than I opened the file but the result is the file is still the original! 10000 words are GONE?!

Why do i see original file??

[Edited at 2009-10-19 21:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-19 21:43 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
No need to save Oct 19, 2009

DVX saves for you

You have to export the project in order to get the translated file(s).

File > Export > Project ...

---------------------------
From the Help File

Phase VI: Export

When you are done with translating and editing your files, you will want to export them into their original format. Déjà Vu X Standard offers you three different ways of doing that
... See more
DVX saves for you

You have to export the project in order to get the translated file(s).

File > Export > Project ...

---------------------------
From the Help File

Phase VI: Export

When you are done with translating and editing your files, you will want to export them into their original format. Déjà Vu X Standard offers you three different ways of doing that:

- You can export the complete project via the menu command Finished Translation,

- you can export single files or folders through a right-click command from within the File Navigator, or

- you can export single files or any subset of files from the Project Explorer.

For information on exporting with the Project Explorer, see To export files with the Project Explorer.

[Edited at 2009-10-19 21:57 GMT]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Your translation is saved as you work Oct 19, 2009

DVX doesn't change the original file. This is a good feature, it means that your original file will never be overwritten by any action of DVX. The way to create the new file containing the translation is, while inside DVX, export the translation as Selcuk has described.

Outside DVX, you can open the new, exported file and see your translation.

DVX doesn't save when you close the program, in fact it is saving constantly as you work. Every time you move down to a new segm
... See more
DVX doesn't change the original file. This is a good feature, it means that your original file will never be overwritten by any action of DVX. The way to create the new file containing the translation is, while inside DVX, export the translation as Selcuk has described.

Outside DVX, you can open the new, exported file and see your translation.

DVX doesn't save when you close the program, in fact it is saving constantly as you work. Every time you move down to a new segment, the segment you just finished translating is saved. This means that if something happens (the power goes out, the program crashes before you can exit), all the work you have done has already been saved and it is not lost.
Collapse

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Oct 19, 2009

"file > export > project" doesn't do anything. it says cannot export this project

[Edited at 2009-10-19 22:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-19 22:32 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Please provide detailed information Oct 19, 2009

Your Deja Vu version (Editor, Standard, Professional, or Workgroup)
Project Type (Full Project, Satellite, or Pack&Go)

And any additional details regarding your project flow please.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't worry, be happy Oct 19, 2009

As I mentioned above, DVX was saving while you worked. It does this automatically, whether you export or not.

Open DVX again and export. This will create the file containing the translation, and then you can go to that file and open it.

You can export as many times as you want. You can review the translation, and if you want to change something, go back into DVX and change it. The new version will be saved automatically when you leave the segment and move to another seg
... See more
As I mentioned above, DVX was saving while you worked. It does this automatically, whether you export or not.

Open DVX again and export. This will create the file containing the translation, and then you can go to that file and open it.

You can export as many times as you want. You can review the translation, and if you want to change something, go back into DVX and change it. The new version will be saved automatically when you leave the segment and move to another segment.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX saves... Oct 19, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

DVX saves for you

Sorry, I can't resist...

Jesus and Satan were having an ongoing argument about who was better on his computer. They had been going at it for days, and God was tired of hearing all of the bickering. Finally God said, "Cool it. I am going to set up a test that will run two hours and I will judge who does the better job".

So down Satan and Jesus sat at the keyboards and typed away. They moused. They did spreadsheets. They wrote reports. They sent faxes. They sent e-mail. They sent out e-mail with attachments. They downloaded. They did some genealogy reports. They made cards. They did every known job.

But ten minutes before their time was up, lightning suddenly flashed across the sky, thunder rolled, the rain poured and, of course, the electricity went off. Satan stared at his blank screen and screamed every curse word known in the underworld.

Jesus just sighed.

The electricity finally flickered back on, and each of them restarted his computer. Satan started searching frantically, screaming "It's gone! It's all gone! I lost everything when the power went out!"

Meanwhile, Jesus quietly started printing out all of his files from the past two hours. Satan observed this and became irate. "Wait! He cheated, how did he do it?"

God shrugged and said, "Jesus saves".

It's not so stupid as it seems to be
The DVX project is a transactional data base, i.e. every modification you do is saved automatically in the project.

But if you want to save your soul, you must start to export...

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wrong Codes? Oct 19, 2009

Karletto wrote:

"file > export > project" doesn't do anything. it says cannot export this project

What is the error message, "wrong codes"?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Check the codes... Oct 19, 2009

Karletto wrote:

First of all, check the DVX codes (Ctrl+Shift+F8).
If the codes are messed up, you can't export or the exported file will be unusable.

PS.
Read the messages displayed in the status bar in the bottom of the DVX window.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-10-19 22:23 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
evaluation version Oct 19, 2009

Hope you are not using a 30-day evaluation version. AFAIK you will not be able to export projects after the trial period expires.

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
deja vu x Oct 19, 2009

It's Dejvu X demo and it expires after 20.nov. It's .dvsat satillite project with a lot of sgm files. I recived it in rar format. Than i unrared it which automaticaly opened deja vu files. Than i started to proofread. When i finished i pressed close button on top right corner like it said in the manual. (no export, no nothing)

Now when i open .dvsat file it openes just original files. but where is proofread text??

If i open original file, file>export>project doesn't hel
... See more
It's Dejvu X demo and it expires after 20.nov. It's .dvsat satillite project with a lot of sgm files. I recived it in rar format. Than i unrared it which automaticaly opened deja vu files. Than i started to proofread. When i finished i pressed close button on top right corner like it said in the manual. (no export, no nothing)

Now when i open .dvsat file it openes just original files. but where is proofread text??

If i open original file, file>export>project doesn't help. It doesn't make anything, not even a sound. All codes are OK.
If i try to export in file navigator (right part of the window), it says "Cannot export from this type of project"

[Edited at 2009-10-19 23:05 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Forget about exporting the project Oct 19, 2009

You don't need to (and cannot) export files from this project. Only your client who has the Workgroup version can export the files.

Please open the file once more and check the translations. Any changes made should be in the file. You don't need to save or export this file. Just compress the file (with winzip or winrar) and send the file to your client.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Satellite project... Oct 19, 2009

Karletto wrote:

It's Dejvu X demo and it expires after 20.nov. It's .dvsat satillite project with a lot of sgm files.

Aaaargh... an important info...

Take a look on the right side of the DVX editor.
You see your modifications?

If i open original file, file>export>project doesn't help. It doesn't make anything, not even a sound. All codes are OK.
If i try to export in file navigator (right part of the window), it says "Cannot export from this type of project"

Yes, it's true, you can't export a satellite project.
Just send it back to the customer.
He'll be able to export it.
It's normal although it's not well documented in the DVX help.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-10-19 23:26 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Let me guess Oct 19, 2009

Karletto wrote:
It's .dvsat satillite project with a lot of sgm files.

There are 17 sgm files.

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmmm Oct 20, 2009

Here's what went wrong:
I recived mentioned file in rar format. First i should export (!) it on C disc and only than work on it.

Of course 10000 proofread words are GONE. Hope it helps to someone in the future.

Thanks for helping
Case Closed

[Edited at 2009-10-20 07:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-20 11:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

saving the file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »