Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2009

Hello again, DVX, windows XP/vista, etc etc.

The problem is an html document which, when imported, has a code either missing or incomplete. Multiple attempts to import the project give the following results:

either: the code fails to show up at all (as can be seen from the code numbering sequence which passes from n to n+2). Attempting to export leads to the "bad codes in this cell" message but copying all the visible codes across does not solve the issue or enable the
... See more
Hello again, DVX, windows XP/vista, etc etc.

The problem is an html document which, when imported, has a code either missing or incomplete. Multiple attempts to import the project give the following results:

either: the code fails to show up at all (as can be seen from the code numbering sequence which passes from n to n+2). Attempting to export leads to the "bad codes in this cell" message but copying all the visible codes across does not solve the issue or enable the export.

or: the code comes up missing one of its brackets. In this case the file is exported up to that point, crashing DVX in the process.

Has anyone encountered this and/or found a workaround? Thanks!
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Have you tried adding the missing bracket? Sep 14, 2009

If you can manage to get the file imported again with that bracket missing, how about adding the missing bracket and exporting again?

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brackets and a workaround Sep 14, 2009

Hi Yolanda

The thing is, adding the missing bracket actually makes the problem worse, because a whole code is still missing in this case, as a result of which the project refuses to export. Without that bracket at least one can get everything out up to that point.

In the mean time I have come across an obvious workaround which is simply to ask DVX not to send that cell - especially as there is no visible impact on the html file! I just hope this doesn't happen too ofte
... See more
Hi Yolanda

The thing is, adding the missing bracket actually makes the problem worse, because a whole code is still missing in this case, as a result of which the project refuses to export. Without that bracket at least one can get everything out up to that point.

In the mean time I have come across an obvious workaround which is simply to ask DVX not to send that cell - especially as there is no visible impact on the html file! I just hope this doesn't happen too often in what could turn out to be a 70,000 word project...

[Edited at 2009-09-14 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Export problem solved but Sep 14, 2009

I have checked the file, and by chance solved the problem but couldn't find the reason.

I have copied all source segments to the target, but in one of them there was a wrong code problem.

Source Segment:
{90}A2{91}Retour{92}

The next code, in the following segment was {94}, so I have manually typed code {93} to the target segment (only to the target segment, not to the source segment)

So the target segment became

{90}
... See more
I have checked the file, and by chance solved the problem but couldn't find the reason.

I have copied all source segments to the target, but in one of them there was a wrong code problem.

Source Segment:
{90}A2{91}Retour{92}

The next code, in the following segment was {94}, so I have manually typed code {93} to the target segment (only to the target segment, not to the source segment)

So the target segment became

{90}A2{91}Retour{92}{93}

This solved the export problem, but I couldn't find the reason. Any ideas?
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 14, 2009

Thanks Selcuk!

I'll report back if any further explanations are forthcoming.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
I wonder what 93 pulls in.. Sep 14, 2009

Hi Seluk,

I'm glad the problem is solved, but I'm plain curious. Could you highlight the 93 and hit Shift+F6 (display code)?

Rie

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
code 93 Sep 14, 2009

[Edited at 2009-09-15 10:01 GMT]

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workaround is still hit and miss Sep 15, 2009

After some corrections to my translation, I just tried exporting the document again today using Selcuk's method of manually typing in the missing code... and, where this procedure succeeded yesterday, got the "there's something wrong with your codes" box. Marking the cell "do not send" did not initially help either. Eventually deleting the added code and keeping the "do not send" option worked.

What makes this really weird is that the same result is not returned each time.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Do not send command Sep 15, 2009

This command is not related to exporting documents. When a segment is marked with "Do not send", it is not sent to the Translation Memory.

From the Help File:

To prevent a row from being sent to the translation memory

1 If you would like to single out certain rows (for instance, rows that contain code information) that you do not want to be sent to your... See more
This command is not related to exporting documents. When a segment is marked with "Do not send", it is not sent to the Translation Memory.

From the Help File:

To prevent a row from being sent to the translation memory

1 If you would like to single out certain rows (for instance, rows that contain code information) that you do not want to be sent to your translation memory, you can right-click the sentence or the selection of sentences you do not want in the translation memory and click Do Not Send.

–Or–

Press Ctrl+Shift+D.

As regards the export problem, can you send me the project file, I will check the codes again.

[Edited at 2009-09-15 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
Could it be.. Sep 15, 2009

Hi Seluk,

Thank you for posting up the code - the 93 code (valid html comment) seems harmless, and I'm suspicious with three larger than operators three lines below. Though they are permitted, some browsers/parsers cannot handle operators within the comment very well. This may be the case with DejaVu. Hope this may shed a light on solving this mystery.

Rie

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem has disappeared (for now) Sep 16, 2009

After a day away from my keyboard I've tried to repeat this phenomenon and failed. Atril's solution was to create a new project and reimport, which I did, and everything works. I also tried exporting from the original project, and that works too. However, the same code '93' fails to appear in the project either way.

I was not the creator of the original DVX project, which I received as a Pack 'n Go, and I don't think I'm in a position to freely pass the project around.

... See more
After a day away from my keyboard I've tried to repeat this phenomenon and failed. Atril's solution was to create a new project and reimport, which I did, and everything works. I also tried exporting from the original project, and that works too. However, the same code '93' fails to appear in the project either way.

I was not the creator of the original DVX project, which I received as a Pack 'n Go, and I don't think I'm in a position to freely pass the project around.

However, what I can do is suggest anyone who wishes to experiment with this type of problem saves the html from the following publicly available page and imports it into a project. I think you'll see the same code issue appear.

http://www.insa-strasbourg.fr/fr/programmes-des-etudes/A2/A2-proj42ipa24100000003.html
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

code issue with html import

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »