Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

Using DVX in Vista, it appears to save projects to the Atril folder in Program Files, but they do not appear in Windows Explorer even with all the hidden folders options enabled. This is a pain. Has anyone else noticed this or found a workaround? Thanks!

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I decide where they go Sep 8, 2009

I wouldn't let project files get put anywhere in the program folder. I have Vista Home Premium, and it lets me define my own folder structure. I have not observed the behaviour you report.

I have my own working folders. I have a main folder called "Deja_Vu", and inside that folder I have sub-folders for MDBs, TDBs and various categories of client (agencies, lawyers, publishers etc.), and inside the sub-folder "Agencies", for example, I again have sub-folders for a couple of dozen ag
... See more
I wouldn't let project files get put anywhere in the program folder. I have Vista Home Premium, and it lets me define my own folder structure. I have not observed the behaviour you report.

I have my own working folders. I have a main folder called "Deja_Vu", and inside that folder I have sub-folders for MDBs, TDBs and various categories of client (agencies, lawyers, publishers etc.), and inside the sub-folder "Agencies", for example, I again have sub-folders for a couple of dozen agencies (past and present), and most of these sub-folders again include sub-folders to suit the way I organise my work.
In fact, my main folder "Deja_Vu" contains over 2000 sub-folders at various levels of the hierarchical tree structure - although that is the result of 10 years' work with DV on various computers.

On my current computer, the full path to my main Deja_Vu folder is:
C:/Users/(MyUserName)/Documents/Deja_Vu
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
System folders... Sep 8, 2009

Eutychus wrote:

Using DVX in Vista, it appears to save projects to the Atril folder in Program Files, but they do not appear in Windows Explorer even with all the hidden folders options enabled. This is a pain. Has anyone else noticed this or found a workaround?

Simply don't save any data in Vista system folders.
It's not a good idea.
See the C:\Users\All Users\Atril\Deja Vu X folder (allso known as C:\ProgramData\Atril\Deja Vu X (in Vista, you may have aliases).
It's better to use Total Commander or other honest file manager.
If really necessary, turn out the UAC (User Access Control) and use Explorer.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-08 13:56 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Data structure and location Sep 8, 2009

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

In fact, my main folder "Deja_Vu" contains over 2000 sub-folders at various levels of the hierarchical tree structure - although that is the result of 10 years' work with DV on various computers.

On my current computer, the full path to my main Deja_Vu folder is:
C:/Users/(MyUserName)/Documents/Deja_Vu [/quote]

I have a similar hierarchical tree structure but I store my data on the local network.
It's somehow slower but I can access my data from every machine I have.
BTW, the simultaneous access is possible, you can use 2 or more PC to work on the same project/file, of course, you must have 2 or more licenses.
An ideal solution for small teams.

If necessary, when I'm out, I copy the files on my notebook and I use substed drives.

Cheers
GG

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But this seems to be the default setting Sep 28, 2009

Sorry, I've been out of Vista for a few weeks and only just got back to looking at this. On my Vista machine, Déjà Vu appears to want to save files to a folder called "projects" within the Atril folder in Program Files, and this appears to be a default setting. In other words, the only way I can get it to save the files somewhere else is to determine that manually each time. Meanwhile, I cannot access the project files already in this folder (eg to move them) other than via DVX: they don't eve... See more
Sorry, I've been out of Vista for a few weeks and only just got back to looking at this. On my Vista machine, Déjà Vu appears to want to save files to a folder called "projects" within the Atril folder in Program Files, and this appears to be a default setting. In other words, the only way I can get it to save the files somewhere else is to determine that manually each time. Meanwhile, I cannot access the project files already in this folder (eg to move them) other than via DVX: they don't even turn up in searches. How can I get them out, and how, if at all, can I change the default filepath?Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What build? Sep 28, 2009

I have never seen this "project" folder or this behaviour. There is no "Project" folder in my Atril / DVX folder in Program Files. I have Vista Home Premium.

What build of DVX are you running? The latest public build is 303; some of the earlier builds may not be equipped to handle Vista properly. (Atril understandably did not adapt DVX to Vista before Vista was on the market).

Otherwise it could be something to do with your Vista settings (e.g. the way Vista handles fil
... See more
I have never seen this "project" folder or this behaviour. There is no "Project" folder in my Atril / DVX folder in Program Files. I have Vista Home Premium.

What build of DVX are you running? The latest public build is 303; some of the earlier builds may not be equipped to handle Vista properly. (Atril understandably did not adapt DVX to Vista before Vista was on the market).

Otherwise it could be something to do with your Vista settings (e.g. the way Vista handles files and folders).

If you need more help tracking the problem down, it is worth registering at http://forums.atril.com/ and posing your question there.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Comments... Sep 28, 2009

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

The same on Vista Ultimate.

I remember vaguely DVX proposes to create the first project in the program folder.
If I'm right, it seems a bug in the design.

Otherwise it could be something to do with your Vista settings (e.g. the way Vista handles files and folders).

Yes, Vista handles files in a slightly different way.
I.e. some DVX files are placed in the C:\Users\All users\ATRIL\Deja Vu X folder which is protected by the Vista User Account Control feature.
I.e. even if you are a computer admin, some files may be inaccessible in a "normal" way.
I think it's your case.

If you need more help tracking the problem down, it is worth registering at http://forums.atril.com/ and posing your question there.

A good idea

PS.
As I said, use a fair file manager like Total Comander or FAR.
These tools bypass the UAC.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-28 17:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX projects not accessible in Vista outside Déjà Vu

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »