How to share Memory DB between Deja Vu and Trados?
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sep 10, 2003

Hello

We're two translators working on the same project with different tools. I have DV and he has Trados.
I tried to export my TDB and MDB and sent to him, in TXT format. It seems that it doesn't work.
Anyone can explain step by step what we should do, please? We'll also need that in the other direction.

Thanks!

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:30
French to German
+ ...
Claudia, Sep 10, 2003

Je crois qu'il faut que tu utilises le format *.TTX; je le fais à partir de SDLX avec des clients qui veulent Trados; marche parfaitement.

Geneviève

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Here is the solution Sep 11, 2003

Dear Claudia,

Here is the procedure you need to follow:

DV into Trados:

1 Open DV Database Maintenance

2 Open the TM you want to export

3 Select File - Export

4 Appy any filters if necessary (based on client ID or subject ID)

5 Select External Database System as "Trados WB Database"

6 Make sure the language codes (upper right corner) are EXACTLY the same as those of the destination Trados TM (
... See more
Dear Claudia,

Here is the procedure you need to follow:

DV into Trados:

1 Open DV Database Maintenance

2 Open the TM you want to export

3 Select File - Export

4 Appy any filters if necessary (based on client ID or subject ID)

5 Select External Database System as "Trados WB Database"

6 Make sure the language codes (upper right corner) are EXACTLY the same as those of the destination Trados TM (you can verify this by opening the Trados TM in Word or WordPad, the first few lines include the language codes)

7 Select destination folder (on your C drive) and file name. You can enter any filename here. When the destination path appears in the Destination field, make sure you add ".txt" at the end. Otherwise the export will not work.

8 Press Export

9 In the bottom of the window you will see the export process (the number of segments exported)

10 Now open Trados WB (or the fellow translator opens it)

11 Create an empty TM (with the correct language pairs) Make sure you enable "allow multiple translations". Or, you can open an existing TM.

12 Select File - Import

13 The settings should be: Existing translation units - Merge, New fields - Add to setup

14 Press OK

15 You will see the import progress at the bottom of the screen.

That's it.
I will describe the reverse progress in a separate posting.
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Trados into DV Sep 11, 2003

1 Open the TM in Workbench

2 Select File - Export

3 From the Field List, select the source and target language fields and press Add. No other fields should be selected.

4 Press OK

5 Enter the destination filename for the export, then press Save

6 You will see the export progress in the bottom of the window.

7 Open DV Database maintenance

8 Create and empty TM (follow the Wizard intructions) or open an exis
... See more
1 Open the TM in Workbench

2 Select File - Export

3 From the Field List, select the source and target language fields and press Add. No other fields should be selected.

4 Press OK

5 Enter the destination filename for the export, then press Save

6 You will see the export progress in the bottom of the window.

7 Open DV Database maintenance

8 Create and empty TM (follow the Wizard intructions) or open an existing one

9 Select File - Import

10 Set External DB system as "Trados WB database". Make sure the language codes are OK.

11 Select the Origin (the file exported from DV) then press Import

12 You will see the import progress in the bottom of the window.

13 There you are

If you experience that the number of pairs exported/imported is 0, the most probable mistake is the mismatch of the language codes. (EN-GB is not the same as EN-US, etc.)

kind regards from Budapest,
Csaba
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
one comment Sep 11, 2003

I forgot to add that the above procedures apply to DV3 and not DVX.
I also bought DVX but so far I have not had time to figure out the new design, so for the time being I stick to DV3.

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Sep 11, 2003

Csaba and Geneviève

I have DV3 and it took me several months to learn how to use it, so I'm far from switching.

I'm going to try...

[Edited at 2003-09-11 13:01]

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It really works and it's great Sep 13, 2003

Csaba, your explanations were very clear and many things have changed for me. Now I can work with people working with Trados, it's really a problem when you are asked to share memories and that you don't know how.
I bought DV after having read all the topics and threads about DV vs Trados, and after all I could wonder if I had been right because of the number of people who know Trados and those who don't know DV.

I'd like to suggest to you to write a "How to" for the "How to"
... See more
Csaba, your explanations were very clear and many things have changed for me. Now I can work with people working with Trados, it's really a problem when you are asked to share memories and that you don't know how.
I bought DV after having read all the topics and threads about DV vs Trados, and after all I could wonder if I had been right because of the number of people who know Trados and those who don't know DV.

I'd like to suggest to you to write a "How to" for the "How to" section of ProZ. It should be easy, you already did it.

Thanks again.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:30
Flemish to English
+ ...
Trados:not that userfriendly. Nov 5, 2003

It takes a while to learn Déjà Vu, but it is far more efficient and user friendly than Trados, because most functions are based upon the look and feel of MsWord.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to share Memory DB between Deja Vu and Trados?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »