David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

DVX user here.

I don't often use the "alignment workfile" feature because it's such a pain getting the alignment to work properly. If I do want to create a translation memory from existing external source and target files, I use a feature of a program called Logiterm which creates alignment files pretty much at a click of a button and allows you to export them in a TM format which can then be imported into a DVX translation memory.

I personally use other features of Lo
... See more
DVX user here.

I don't often use the "alignment workfile" feature because it's such a pain getting the alignment to work properly. If I do want to create a translation memory from existing external source and target files, I use a feature of a program called Logiterm which creates alignment files pretty much at a click of a button and allows you to export them in a TM format which can then be imported into a DVX translation memory.

I personally use other features of Logiterm, but for anyone not wishing to purchase it this seems like rather a lot of expense to go to simply to create alignment workfiles faster.

What are others' experience of alignment woes, workarounds or other relevant applications?
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:00
English to German
+ ...
External View Jul 2, 2009

Recently I used an External View table to align an English to Oromo translation. I was surprised how easy it was, because you can delete a cell in a Word table and let its successors shift up like in Excel; then some copy and paste work and it was done.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment workarounds

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »