*None* of a .ppt imports into DVX with Office 2007 installed (solved)
Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
May 30, 2009

This is the opposite problem to the most recent ppt issue I posted about.

I have an Office 2003 version ppt file in which all the text is in text fields within the slides.

This imports perfectly using Win XP, DVX Standard, Office 2003 but not at all using Vista, DVX Standard and Office 2007 (the file imports but is empty).

Can anyone explain why this is or tell me the solution (other than keeping a computer with the old configuration around indefinitely and
... See more

I have an Office 2003 version ppt file in which all the text is in text fields within the slides.

This imports perfectly using Win XP, DVX Standard, Office 2003 but not at all using Vista, DVX Standard and Office 2007 (the file imports but is empty).

Can anyone explain why this is or tell me the solution (other than keeping a computer with the old configuration around indefinitely and using Pack&Go, which is what I have just done...)

Thanks!

[Edited at 2009-05-30 18:23 GMT]
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:31
English to Japanese
+ ...
Have you tried... May 30, 2009

I know the pptx is compatible with DejaVu (latest version), though I haven't dealt with files in this format extensively.

Have you tried the following scenario?

1. Open the ppt file in PowerPoint and save it as pptx.
2. Import the pptx to DejaVu.

If succeeded, I do an additional text (pseudotrans - export - open with PowerPoint - save as ppt) to see if PowerPoint can maintain the integrity of the file.

Who's to blame - I don't know, pr
... See more
I know the pptx is compatible with DejaVu (latest version), though I haven't dealt with files in this format extensively.

Have you tried the following scenario?

1. Open the ppt file in PowerPoint and save it as pptx.
2. Import the pptx to DejaVu.

If succeeded, I do an additional text (pseudotrans - export - open with PowerPoint - save as ppt) to see if PowerPoint can maintain the integrity of the file.

Who's to blame - I don't know, probably M$?. And, I do have both XP and Vista, with different versions of Office, because of this and other reasons. Just in case the "save as" method above doesn't work...

Regards,
Rie
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MS Office... May 30, 2009

Eutychus wrote:

Can anyone explain why this is or tell me the solution (other than keeping a computer with the old configuration around indefinitely and using Pack&Go, which is what I have just done...)

The "keeping a computer with the old configuration" solution is decidely the good one
The DVX and Office 2007 combo may have serious problems with "legacy" Office files.

In fact. it's not a DVX problem stricto sensu 'cause DVX calls Office applications to perform some tasks and Office itself causes problems, e.g. you can see the same kind of issues in Trados.

Try to save your "legacy" Office documents as Office 2007 ones.
Normally, it works.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-30 13:31 GMT]

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved... May 30, 2009

Suddenly realised I had installed DVX on the computer running Vista and Office 2007 without installing the latest build... which seems to have fixed things.

I'll bear in mind the other solutions suggested above, though, too - thanks!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
The latest build... May 30, 2009

Eutychus wrote:

Suddenly realised I had installed DVX on the computer running Vista and Office 2007 without installing the latest build... which seems to have fixed things.

I use the latest build but sometimes Office 2007 still sucks.
E.g. you may experience problems when Trados templates are loaded automatically in Word 2007, especially if Word is already running (the poor SDL bastards are unable to handle properly two Word instances, the instance invoked in the background by DVX or other software can't access the templates locked by the first instance).
I don't even try to understand it, I simply switch to an old good machine with Office 2003.

I'll bear in mind the other solutions suggested above, though, too - thanks!

HTH

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-30 19:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

*None* of a .ppt imports into DVX with Office 2007 installed (solved)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »