Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Terminology management May 31, 2009

MemoQ can export term base as MultiTerm XML. I have tested this feature with a simple termbase (terms and their translations only, no additional fields), and it works great. The only problem is that MQ term IDs start at 0 not at 1, so in MultiTerm the first term will have Entry Number: 1 but ID: 0.

However, MQ cannot import MultiTerm XML files.

Deja Vu can import MultiTerm 5.5 files. However, it cannot export directly to MultiTerm.
The solution is exporti
... See more
MemoQ can export term base as MultiTerm XML. I have tested this feature with a simple termbase (terms and their translations only, no additional fields), and it works great. The only problem is that MQ term IDs start at 0 not at 1, so in MultiTerm the first term will have Entry Number: 1 but ID: 0.

However, MQ cannot import MultiTerm XML files.

Deja Vu can import MultiTerm 5.5 files. However, it cannot export directly to MultiTerm.
The solution is exporting as an Excel file, and then using MultiTerm Convert.

In MemoQ term base, we can add images; no such feature in DVX.
However, we can add additional fields in DVX terminology databases (e.g. a field for sample sentences in addition to the context field, or a new field for writing detailed definitions).

Converting DVX terminology databases to MQ will result in loss of data. However, as we can add additional fields in DVX, MemoQ term bases can be imported to DVX without any loss of data (except for the images).

We can use SQL commands in DVX. Besides all DVX files (project, TM or TD) can be opened and edited with Access
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
DVX importing MultiTerm 5.5 May 31, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Deja Vu can import MultiTerm 5.5 files.

Theoretically. I've never got it to work right, however; it always hangs and fails to import the target language terms.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
French to Polish
+ ...
MultiTerm 5.5 in DVX... May 31, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Deja Vu can import MultiTerm 5.5 files.

Theoretically. I've never got it to work right, however; it always hangs and fails to import the target language terms.

DVX imports only simple termbases (i.e. only terms).
IMHO DVX hangs always when additional attributes are present in the MT5 file.
So why I prefer to use CSV (I use ApIC XBench as converter).

BTW, both CSV and MT5 export filters don't work by default in Trados for multilingual termbases, so I export 'em as Multiterm XML, then I use Across as converter
I hate to create custom filters in Multiterm.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Commenting David Turner... DVX pros #2... Sep 1, 2009

Slowly getting alive...

After a long hiatus, I'll try to comment some points but the comment order will be rather messy and arbitrary.
The numbering will reflect the original David's post.

David Turner wrote:

2. Lexicon/Lexicon builder. MemoQ doesn't have one, although you could assign an empty termbase in first position and use it as a project-specific glossary. In DVX, Lexicon terms are displayed in white in the AutoSearch box so it's easy to spot them as priority terms.[/quote]

Another Lexicon function in DVX is a pseudo machine translation data base.
Something like the Autosuggest feature in Trados 2009.
With Lexicon, you can generate and resolve a statistical map of your text(s), then use it for Autoassembly (just like a pseudo machine translation engine).
For relatively closed corpora, it's a killah.

At this stage, both programs offer the assembly functions who permit to compose target sentences using portions from MDBs/TDBs and emulate machine translation.
Nevertheless, MemoQ is unable to leverage automatically the internal repetitions at the subsegment level as DVX can do using Lexicon.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-01 19:18 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Commenting David Turner... DVX pros #6... Sep 1, 2009

David Turner wrote:

6. Multilingual/reversible TM's and termbases. You can do an English to French/German/Spanish/Italian job in the same project using just one TM and one termbase/lexicon for all languages. Never understood why agencies didn't go in more for this. [/quote]
Neither me.

MemoQ projects, TMs and termbases are bilingual and one direction only.

It's not exact.
The MQ termbases are bidirectional and multilingual although it's not very intuitive.

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX versus MemoQ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »