DVX versus MemoQ
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Gábor Ugray
Gábor Ugray
Germany
Local time: 20:43
English
MemoQ - RTF and joining May 8, 2009

Loek - Let me respond to your concern about RTF import and joining segments in a document coming from Excel. Both seem to be quite unexpected problems - if you care to contact us we'll be happy to investigate both.

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Okay! May 8, 2009

You know that I'm from the enemy's camp right?

But I will send you the files in question so that you can have a look!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:43
German to English
+ ...
Partisans May 8, 2009

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Hey, when it comes to being a DVX partisan, I'm probably not far behind you. The debt I owe to Atril for what its products have done for me since I switched to translation is so high I don't think I can count it. When a customer of mine originally suggested I look at MemoQ over a year ago, I basically told him to take a long walk off a short pier and said the work would be done with DVX or nothing. I looked at the MemoQ and found some interesting stuff, but nothing to convince me.

Until recently that is. I'm discovering quirks, of course, but I'm not joking when I say the product lets me work more efficiently in most cases. Not all. My toolbox will probably continue to have both in it.

If I could make a wish it would be that Kilgray and Atril would cooperate to make their respective clients be able to work with each others' servers to a reasonable extent and that project packages for each be able to be processed by the other. I think this would have a synergistic effect and that both companies would gain more of the SDL market share than by going it alone. Probably ain't gonna happen, but who knows? Both are good companies with a track record of caring about their users and not spamming the Hell out of us with obnoxious FUD marketing tactics.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MemoQ evolution and licesing... synergy... FUD... May 9, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Until recently that is. I'm discovering quirks, of course, but I'm not joking when I say the product lets me work more efficiently in most cases. [/quote]
The MemoQ evolution is really rapid.
I follow it in a very irregular way.
My first contact with some 1.x version was really disappointing (when you compare sthng to DVX, it's not easy...), the 2.x versions were not convincing, the 3.x are really good.

Not all. My toolbox will probably continue to have both in it.

I'll purchase MemoQ these days.
At least for take a closer look.
I never have enough time and my demo version expire...

BTW.
The MemoQ licensing is possibly very annoying for mobile users.
Wtih the DVX dongles, you're completely free.
The standard MemoQ activation schema is simply unacceptable for me, normally, I switch 3-4 PCs during a day.
But for a "normal" user, it's OK.

If I could make a wish it would be that Kilgray and Atril would cooperate to make their respective clients be able to work with each others' servers to a reasonable extent and that project packages for each be able to be processed by the other.

Seconded.

I think this would have a synergistic effect and that both companies would gain more of the SDL market share than by going it alone.

Seconded.
E.g. the new Trados 2009 filters.
Why do it twice?

Probably ain't gonna happen, but who knows? Both are good companies with a track record of caring about their users and not spamming the Hell out of us with obnoxious FUD marketing tactics.

FUD is a double sided weapon.
E.g. when you analyze the Trados development, you can easily prove some products are not developped at all but SDL still charges for "upgrades".
E.g. I suppose MT Extract developper is dead many years ago and nobody is able to analyze his messy code... "Innovation delivered"
The day somebody starts to use their language against 'em...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-09 08:44 GMT]

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
The pace of development and licensing May 9, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
My first contact with some 1.x version was really disappointing (when you compare sthng to DVX, it's not easy...), the 2.x versions were not convincing, the 3.x are really good.

Exactly. Kilgray's development is racing at a pace I haven't seen in a long time. A year ago there was no way in Hell I could use the product and get to the finish line efficiently. Now I'm just looking for the engine to be fine-tuned for better fuel economy. I can already leave the competitors sucking fumes and dust.

I'll purchase MemoQ these days.
At least for take a closer look.
I never have enough time and my demo version expire...

Ask for an extension. I did that on several occasions, and Kilgray was very accommodating. I appreciate the fact that I was allowed to waste a lot of the company's time to be sure that the product was really what I needed before I spent what really isn't a very big amount of money. A 45 day trial sounds like a lot, but it isn't when it sometimes takes three days to finish a 5 minute conversation with someone in the same office because of constant interruptions.

The MemoQ licensing is possibly very annoying for mobile users.
Wtih the DVX dongles, you're completely free.

I tend to agree with you on the dongle issue. I know a lot of people find it annoying (I remember this from my days supporting archiving software too), but it does have advantages. Perhaps an option of a dongle would be a good idea?

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Two more problems May 9, 2009

Two more problems I found in MemoQ are:

1. You can't edit the source segments (this is especially a problem with OCR'd files, in which the source often contains errors).
2. Databases are not truly multi-lingual. If you translate from and to multiple languages, it seems you need a separate database for each combination.

But I really fell in love with that LSC feature. Wow. It works flawlessly, even if the source language is Japanese. That is quite an accomplishmen
... See more
Two more problems I found in MemoQ are:

1. You can't edit the source segments (this is especially a problem with OCR'd files, in which the source often contains errors).
2. Databases are not truly multi-lingual. If you translate from and to multiple languages, it seems you need a separate database for each combination.

But I really fell in love with that LSC feature. Wow. It works flawlessly, even if the source language is Japanese. That is quite an accomplishment.

[Edited at 2009-05-09 10:14 GMT]
Collapse

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
More tests May 9, 2009

I was interested enough to squeeze the thumbscrews a little. I'm still not entirely convinced though:

1. File names are not registered in translation databases. This makes it impossible to see from which file a certain match is from.
2. With larger databases, (1,5 GB in DVX), matches pop up a lot slower compared to DVX, even if sentences are very short. I tried to help MemoQ a little by setting the minimum match percentage in MemoQ to 60% while it was set to 30% in DVX, but e
... See more
I was interested enough to squeeze the thumbscrews a little. I'm still not entirely convinced though:

1. File names are not registered in translation databases. This makes it impossible to see from which file a certain match is from.
2. With larger databases, (1,5 GB in DVX), matches pop up a lot slower compared to DVX, even if sentences are very short. I tried to help MemoQ a little by setting the minimum match percentage in MemoQ to 60% while it was set to 30% in DVX, but even then DVX was faster. Actually the whole software seems to respond a lot slower once large databases are attached, to the point that it becomes really annoying.
3. Multiple source languages (American English + British English + Australian English) cannot be imported at once when importing TMX/CSV databases from other CAT tools.
4. No pending status of target pairs. This becomes a pain when you want to automatically skip target segments based on certain criteria.
5. After having translated 20 pairs or so with a very large database attached to the project, MemoQ crashed with a General Error.
6. Segments in the database are not automatically overwritten once you update their translation (for example because you have changed your mind), not even if you specifically tell the software to overwrite an entry. You have to manually delete the old version.
7. MemoQ started to miss 100% matches, while DVX had no problems showing them.
8. Matches with different numbers are not automatically propagated.

My biggest concern is... is MemoQ stable enough if you link really large databases and handle really large projects?

I'm definitely no expert on MemoQ, so if one of the above assumptions is wrong, please let me know.

[Edited at 2009-05-10 06:35 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TM databases May 10, 2009

Loek, your test is about three tims the size of mine: the general working database I migrated was just under 500 MB. With all index resources, etc. the folder for it is 0.99 GB in DVX. The folder for the same database in MemoQ is 550 MB.

I have experienced no stability problems using that MemoQ database, though I have noticed a long delay when I specify its use for a project. That is irritating, and I usually take it as an excuse to fetch a cup of tea. The only crash I have experien
... See more
Loek, your test is about three tims the size of mine: the general working database I migrated was just under 500 MB. With all index resources, etc. the folder for it is 0.99 GB in DVX. The folder for the same database in MemoQ is 550 MB.

I have experienced no stability problems using that MemoQ database, though I have noticed a long delay when I specify its use for a project. That is irritating, and I usually take it as an excuse to fetch a cup of tea. The only crash I have experienced in the current version was during a spelling check, and it wasn't repeatable. I won't get into the many issues I've had with spell checking in DVX. Lately I've been typing exceptionally well, with no errors at all in many files, and it drives me nuts when not even a dialog to tell me that all is OK is presented. The MemoQ spellchecker is slow (at least when using the MS Word option), but I feel better about it because I at least get some progress feedback.
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Agree on OCR files May 10, 2009

Loek van Kooten wrote:
You can't edit the source segments (this is especially a problem with OCR'd files, in which the source often contains errors).

But I really fell in love with that LSC feature. Wow. It works flawlessly, even if the source language is Japanese. That is quite an accomplishment.

I'm bad with acronyms. What's LSC?

I agree that it is very useful to edit the source segments. I do this not only with OCR files but sometimes also to produce corrected source files. (In DVX I copy the project, then do source to target for the whole document to produce a better version of the source.) The ability to toggle source protection would be useful. (In some formats messing with the source could be deadly, and I would like to see the option automatically turned off in those cases.)

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
LSC May 10, 2009

What's LSC?

Longest substring concordance (LSC): a productivity boost never seen before in any translation tool! This feature boosts productivity through automating concordance lookups and displaying longer or frequently appearing expressions as a translation result. If a translator tries to insert the expression, the concordance window will come up automatically.

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Ah.... subsegment concordancing & hotkey inserts May 10, 2009

Loek van Kooten wrote:
Longest substring concordance (LSC): a productivity boost never seen before in any translation tool!

Yes, seriously cool. It's new to me too, and up to now I've simply heard it referred to as subsegment concordancing or similar.

One other minor point of comparison where MemoQ scores a few points with me: the hot key inserts for term matches, etc. DVX has this as you probably know, but only for the keys 1-9, i.e. the first nine items in the list. MemoQ extends this to 20 I think using the zero and shift key. And as I mentioned above (I think), I prefer to insert my assembled bits via the hot key rather than have it dumped automatically in the cell for translation. That way I can avoid overtyping the obvious trash.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Inserting terms in DVX with shotcuts like Alt+99 :) May 10, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

One other minor point of comparison where MemoQ scores a few points with me: the hot key inserts for term matches, etc. DVX has this as you probably know, but only for the keys 1-9, i.e. the first nine items in the list.[/quote]
No
Just type faster.
You can even type Alt+99.
I didn't test it with Alt+100 or above

DVX waits a fraction of a second for the next stroke.
If you're enough rapid, you win

PS.
I use mainly the NumPad, so it's easier

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-10 11:44 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:43
English to Turkish
+ ...
Missing feature in DVX May 10, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

One other minor point of comparison where MemoQ scores a few points with me: the hot key inserts for term matches, etc. DVX has this as you probably know, but only for the keys 1-9, i.e. the first nine items in the list.

No
Just type faster.
I didn't test it with Alt+100 or above

If you're enough rapid, you win[/quote]

Yes, typing faster is the solution but what to do if there are more than 40 items in the list? When all the items are not displayed, you have to scroll down in the list using the mouse. AFAIK there is no shortcut for switching between the AutoSearch list and the main editing window.

What about MemoQ, can we switch between windows with a shortcut?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Large portion lists... shortcuts... May 10, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

One other minor point of comparison where MemoQ scores a few points with me: the hot key inserts for term matches, etc. DVX has this as you probably know, but only for the keys 1-9, i.e. the first nine items in the list.

No
Just type faster.

Yes, typing faster is the solution but what to do if there are more than 40 items in the list? [/quote]
It may be annoying, I agree.
But when I have extremely large sentences, I usually split 'em and/or I must to think more, so it's not a crucial problem for me.
And I work mainly with pretlansated sentences with the Assemble from portions option enabled, so I already have a majority of these hits in my edition area.

When all the items are not displayed, you have to scroll down in the list using the mouse. AFAIK there is no shortcut for switching between the AutoSearch list and the main editing window.

Ctrl+Shift+Up/DownArrow is a partial solution.
It works but it's too slow for large lists.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-10 12:42 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:43
English to Turkish
+ ...
Great, thanks May 10, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
When all the items are not displayed, you have to scroll down in the list using the mouse. AFAIK there is no shortcut for switching between the AutoSearch list and the main editing window.

Ctrl+Shift+Up/DownArrow is a partial solution.
It works but it's too slow for large lists.

I was searching for it for years. Thanks!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX versus MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »