Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:41
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2009

I've just tried to import a .ppt file into DVX standard. It only seems to have imported about half the words which show up in the total in Powerpoint under "properties". I've previously imported loads of files from the same client with no problem.

A quick visual check of the document shows there are words in what appear to be standard text fields which have not imported.

Any suggestions as to why this should be and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Embedded objects? Apr 21, 2009

Hi,

If the client has formatted the PPT document with embedded elements (from Word, Excel or elsewhere), as far as I know these are not imported.

You can either export them to a separate Word/Excel file (probably by copy/paste) or do these texts manually after you have finished the DVX part of the job.

These embedded objects could also make it interesting to count the words/characters. A few years ago I had a PPT file with similar problems on just about eve
... See more
Hi,

If the client has formatted the PPT document with embedded elements (from Word, Excel or elsewhere), as far as I know these are not imported.

You can either export them to a separate Word/Excel file (probably by copy/paste) or do these texts manually after you have finished the DVX part of the job.

These embedded objects could also make it interesting to count the words/characters. A few years ago I had a PPT file with similar problems on just about every page, and I found that each embedded screen object was only a small part of some much larger document. The word/character count with DVX only counted a small part of the job, but the count with PractiCount was several times too high, because it counted all of the hidden text, and there was an awful lot of it. I ended up declaring both figures to the agency and estimating the actual text volume that I had translated, which was somewhere between the two.
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
might be a ppt 2007 vs 2003 issue Apr 21, 2009

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think this is an embedded object issue though.

Mrs Eutychus has just opened the ppt using Office 2007 and finds the same wordcount as the client (which is already a big step forward as on further investigation my ppt (Office 2003) was not finding about one quarter of them). A first glance in the resulting imported project suggests it has got at least some of the previously missing text although the word count is still quite some way different - perh
... See more
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think this is an embedded object issue though.

Mrs Eutychus has just opened the ppt using Office 2007 and finds the same wordcount as the client (which is already a big step forward as on further investigation my ppt (Office 2003) was not finding about one quarter of them). A first glance in the resulting imported project suggests it has got at least some of the previously missing text although the word count is still quite some way different - perhaps due to how the two programs count figures.
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yup, 2007 vs 2003 Apr 22, 2009

Importing and exporting on a computer which has powerpoint 2007 installed seems to have done the trick: although there is still a big discrepancy in the wordcount all the words seem to be there.

Exporting directly to 2003 ppt left swathes of the original French text in the presentation!

So are there any workarounds if one does not have the 2007 version of powerpoint installed?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not all of a .ppt imports into DVX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »