Improving my knowledge of DV3 (French users specially)
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Mar 4, 2009

Hi

I've been using Déjà Vu 3 for many, many years. I was quite slow for learning how to use it (although I must recognize thet it's not difficult, the problem is between the screen and the chair, as my IT assistant says). It took me so long that I didn't want to move to DV X when it was launched.

For years I have been exporting my documents without caring of quotation marks as « » nor non-breaking spaces (particularly before ":" and "?" and "!" and I used to fix th
... See more
Hi

I've been using Déjà Vu 3 for many, many years. I was quite slow for learning how to use it (although I must recognize thet it's not difficult, the problem is between the screen and the chair, as my IT assistant says). It took me so long that I didn't want to move to DV X when it was launched.

For years I have been exporting my documents without caring of quotation marks as « » nor non-breaking spaces (particularly before ":" and "?" and "!" and I used to fix that once I had exported the file in whatever format that was (MSWord, Excel, .ppt...) when checking grammar and spelling.

I have decided that my knowledge could expand a little now (or that I have exceeded an acceptable limit of ignorance) and would appreciate if you could guide me in order to use that options page that I have never used (sentence delimiters?).

Thank you very much

Claudia
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
These yahoo groups may help Mar 4, 2009

Hi Claudia,

I use DVX so I can't help you with DV3 but there are two yahoo groups which may help you.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-3/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-fr/

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:57
French to Polish
+ ...
Codes and global search'n'replace... Mar 4, 2009

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I don't use DV 3 for several years now, so I may be wrong somewhere.
But it applies to DVX.

PS.
DVX is really mature now, why do not upgrade?

For years I have been exporting my documents without caring of quotation marks as « » nor non-breaking spaces (particularly before ":" and "?" and "!" and I used to fix that once I had exported the file in whatever format that was (MSWord, Excel, .ppt...) when checking grammar and spelling.

You can use a global search and replace operation within DV3.
For both, you'll probably need the codes I enclose below (these chars can't be entered in a normal way).

Of course, you can use the global search and replace in the target files.
As you know, in Word, the nbsp is Ctrl+Shif+space, it works for the global S&R operations.
Excel and PPT don't support nbsp directly but the codes below work well.
Then you can start to check the grammar and the spelling and don't pay so much attention to the nbsp and marks

Codes
You can use Alt+255 on the numpad for nbsp.
I know it exist but I'm too lazy to use it in a systematic way and/or define a shortcut
The codes for the French quotation marks are respectively Alt+0171 and Alt+0187.

I have decided that my knowledge could expand a little now (or that I have exceeded an acceptable limit of ignorance) and would appreciate if you could guide me in order to use that options page that I have never used (sentence delimiters?).

No, it's not related to the sentence delimiters.
It's just a problem with the Windows keyboard definition.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-04 13:33 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
AutoHotkey... Mar 4, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Codes
You can use Alt+255 on the numpad for nbsp.
I know it exist but I'm too lazy to use it in a systematic way and/or define a shortcut
The codes for the French quotation marks are respectively Alt+0171 and Alt+0187.

[...]

It's just a problem with the Windows keyboard definition.
[/quote]
Of course, it's possible to assigne these codes to shortcuts using AutoHotkey.

Probably it's the best solution but the hotkeys should be programmed individually for every user depending of the Windows language, programs installed etc.

Is any AH guru here?

Cheers
GG

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Mar 5, 2009

Thanks for the advice, Selcuk. I used to be a member of those groups until I had to abandon yahoo groups for reasons too complicated to be said here.

GG (sounds easier than Grzegorz): Thanks!!! It worked, for the first time I could see that it was possible to have « » in DV. I think that there must be a way to configure it when translating into French in order to have them written automatically, that will be my next step for improving. If I don't go too quickly I'll be able to enj
... See more
Thanks for the advice, Selcuk. I used to be a member of those groups until I had to abandon yahoo groups for reasons too complicated to be said here.

GG (sounds easier than Grzegorz): Thanks!!! It worked, for the first time I could see that it was possible to have « » in DV. I think that there must be a way to configure it when translating into French in order to have them written automatically, that will be my next step for improving. If I don't go too quickly I'll be able to enjoy learning new possibilities of my old DV3 for years and won't have to upgrade

Thank you guys

Claudia
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Were/are you not automatically entitled to an upgrade? Mar 5, 2009

Maybe check with Atril. I recall something that all DV3 versions bought after a certain date (2002?) included the update automatically. I also kept using DV3 for some time after DVX was released, but I am now glad I made the switch. So much more to enjoy.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
AutoHotkey... Autotext... DVX... Mar 5, 2009

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

GG (sounds easier than Grzegorz): Thanks!!! It worked, for the first time I could see that it was possible to have « » in DV. I think that there must be a way to configure it when translating into French in order to have them written automatically, that will be my next step for improving. [/quote]
In few days, I'll try to post some basic AutoHotkey script(s) here.
I need a moment to dig in back...

Another possibility is to define a sequence for autotext.
E.g.
qn as French quotation + nbsp
nq as nbsp + French quotation
Then you type Ctrl+Shift+F3 and the two letters sequence qill be replaced (check the hotkey for DV3).

Autotext will not work with the "ïntuitive" source sequence "quotation + space" neither "space + quotation"

If I don't go too quickly I'll be able to enjoy learning new possibilities of my old DV3 for years and won't have to upgrade

In fact, the look and feel are basically the same.
Of course, you may spot guys who say DV3 is better but I think it was due mainly to the fact DVX had a bad start, i.e. the first builds (approx. 6 months) were... ehm... rather unstable...
I vaguely remember the AutoAssembly worked in a slightly dfferent way.
The only think I regret is the terminology watcher.
Generally, I can't imagine how could I switch back to DV3.

As I see you language pairs, I suppose the first advantage for you will be the MDB/TDB organization.
As they're multidirectional and multilingual now, no more conversions

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improving my knowledge of DV3 (French users specially)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »