Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:43
German to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2009

I use the DVX Lexicon quite a lot in a number of ways. When I have had occasion to share its content with customers for reasons of coordinating terminology or sharing a glossary, I have always used the Excel format from the Lexicon's export function.

I also use DVX external views (both the Trados RTF and RTF table views) for a number of purposes, most often to exchange comments or questions regarding files being translated. Somehow in the thousands of times I've used the export dial
... See more
I use the DVX Lexicon quite a lot in a number of ways. When I have had occasion to share its content with customers for reasons of coordinating terminology or sharing a glossary, I have always used the Excel format from the Lexicon's export function.

I also use DVX external views (both the Trados RTF and RTF table views) for a number of purposes, most often to exchange comments or questions regarding files being translated. Somehow in the thousands of times I've used the export dialog for external views, I've managed to overlook the fact that "Lexicon" was an export option there too.

This is really useful! It allows comments for individual Lexicon entries to be included in the export (not possible with the usual export function via Excel). A filtered export with commented terms only can be made. Web-ready terminology exports can be made if HTML is chosen as the external view format. Changes to the Lexicon can be tracked upon re-import and nonsense filtered out easily (IDs must be included in the exported table of course). And I'm sure there are other possibilities I've overlooked here.

I really wish I had noticed this years ago. It will be a useful enhancement of the communication with customers in many projects. But I do feel rather embarrassed at having overlooked this possibility for so many years. There are so many useful features in this product, but there is very little guidance that I have seen for more than the most basic user scenarios.
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good one, thank you! Jan 17, 2009

Being able to add comments to lexicon entries is useful indeed. But it did not cross my mind in my last team project, either. We kept exchanging terminology databases just to able to track who added what. I would have preferred using the lexicon, because in that case, all we would have needed were the satellites.

I will definitely keep that option in mind! Everyday a good deed... you have certainly done yours.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:43
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha! Another interesting use. Jan 17, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

But it did not cross my mind in my last team project, either. We kept exchanging terminology databases just to able to track who added what. I would have preferred using the lexicon, because in that case, all we would have needed were the satellites.

Being the lone wolf that I am, I didn't think about team projects, but you're absolutely right. This could be a useful application.

However, my tests show that you can't add to a lexicon using the RTF or HTML table external view. You can only modify an existing lexicon. Of course you can get around this in a sense by making a lexicon with all the words in the project, but that includes a lot of useless crap.

If you want to add individual entries to a lexicon in another project you'll have to use the Excel or tab-delimited text import. I think the procedure I described here (exchange of "external views") would only be practical in a group project scenario if you are working off the same list where all the ID numbers for the lexicon entries match.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
French to Polish
+ ...
Lexicon and pseudo machine translation... Jan 18, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

But it did not cross my mind in my last team project, either. We kept exchanging terminology databases just to able to track who added what. I would have preferred using the lexicon, because in that case, all we would have needed were the satellites.

In fact, it's the most logical solution if you want to pass a part of your project to a guy using DVX Editor...

Being the lone wolf that I am, I didn't think about team projects, but you're absolutely right. This could be a useful application.

The problem is the fuzzy matching doesn't work for lexicon.
If yours source language is heavily inflected, just like Polish, it's a pain in the arse, you must show some intelligence in order to make it work effectively.
Of course, you can send the glossary to a termbase but sometimes it's better to have a different (prioritary) lexicon.

However, my tests show that you can't add to a lexicon using the RTF or HTML table external view. You can only modify an existing lexicon. Of course you can get around this in a sense by making a lexicon with all the words in the project, but that includes a lot of useless crap.

You can reduce the Lexicon size i.e. strip the strings with more/less occurrencies/words than the level you find useful.
E.g., it makes no sense at all to use strings with only one occurence.

PS.
I almost always create the lexicon with all the words in the project and I start to work resolving them.
In this way, I get a pseudo-MT environment (with autoassembly).
For some closed and very predictible corpora, you may proceed up to 8000-10000 weighted words daily.
Of course, the third or fourth day, you're dead

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-01-18 09:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The DVX Lexicon: using external views

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »