https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/122738-dejavu_workgroup_tell_me_more.html&phpv_redirected=1

DejaVu workgroup -- tell me more
Thread poster: RieM
RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:40
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

Hi

Since I saw this thread, I've been contemplating about buying DV Workgroup license:

http://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/121960-sales_on_dvx.html

I know I can link more than two memories and terminology databases, which is wonderful, but what else does it offer? What are your use cases? (I don't do outsourcing *yet* and
... See more
Hi

Since I saw this thread, I've been contemplating about buying DV Workgroup license:

http://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/121960-sales_on_dvx.html

I know I can link more than two memories and terminology databases, which is wonderful, but what else does it offer? What are your use cases? (I don't do outsourcing *yet* and so I don't create satellite projects. )

I'm in need to create a workflow and/or buy something off-the-shelf to streamline one of my localizaiton projects which consists of ~100 java properties files with the same name, and keeps growing in size and number per update. To best meet my needs, Catalyst or Wintrans might be a fit with their leverage function, but they are way too expensive and I don't see high ROI. With DV workgroup, I can take advantage of multiple databases, and I can use it for other projects, but does it offer more flexibility than Pro? Any hidden jewels? I would like to be fully convinced before I click "buy".

Any advice will be appreciated.

Than you!
Rie
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
Guaranteed Matches Dec 9, 2008

Hi Rie,

Don't forget the Guaranteed Matches feature and Export project (External view) to Trados RTF format.

Creating satellite projects enables you to send projects to external translators using free version of Deja Vu. And multiple translation and terminology memories feature is really a great one.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:40
German to English
+ ...
Various points about DV Workgroup Dec 10, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:
I'm in need to create a workflow and/or buy something off-the-shelf to streamline one of my localizaiton projects which consists of ~100 java properties files with the same name, and keeps growing in size and number per update. To best meet my needs, Catalyst or Wintrans might be a fit with their leverage function, but they are way too expensive and I don't see high ROI.

You might talk to Loek van Kooten about your localization workflow. I think he does a lot of that with his games translations.

Selcuk is right about the usefulness of that Trados RTF external view. Exporting content for partners/agencies using Trados works better that way than using the awful output from the Trados WB database export function. It also enables portions of a project to be translated conveniently by a Trados user, and numbers and dates will be included in segments.

I also like the fact that the table version of external views is not restricted in Workgroup. This not only facilitates cooperation with translators who don't use anything more than a text editor, but it's simply convenient. I often wanted to export sections containing untranslated, uncommented targets (for context for a question, for example), and the restriction in Professional was a real nuisance.

I'm told one can also access the API in the workgroup version. I haven't tried for lack of time, and also because all requests to Atril for API documentation have gone unanswered so far. If I ever get this sorted out, the first thing on my agenda is stop word list functionality for the Lexicon.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
French to Polish
+ ...
Personally... Dec 10, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Don't forget the Guaranteed Matches feature

Great if you iterate your projects.
I.e. the next versions are much easier to manage.
The same if your project crashes.
It's not very frequent but it may happen, mainly if the original text is changed by mistake (unfortunately, DVX doesn't protect the source text).

and Export project (External view) to Trados RTF format.

I rarely use it but it works.
Alhough if you switch Pro nd Workgroup dongles on the same machine, the Pro version may behave erratically on the External view feature (AFAIR DVX Pro crashes if the last format selected in Wrkgrp was RTF).

Creating satellite projects enables you to send projects to external translators using free version of Deja Vu.

As I said in the recent thread related to DVX editor, this versions terribly lacks of TM/termbases support compared with SDLX Elite.

And multiple translation and terminology memories feature is really a great one.

Seconded.
For me, it's probably the most important feature, ex aequo with th guaranteed matches.
E.g.. you can juggle with the priorities using the AutoAssembly feature.
In this case, you last TMs/termbases may contain a zillion of entries and can be used as a pseudo machine translation system based on the AA.
Damn effective, especially on "closed" corpora, alhough the pretlanslations on huge projects may slow down dramatically.
Or us can use the last termbase for concordance searches.
E.g. the Acquis Communautaire.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
French to Polish
+ ...
Java... Dec 10, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

I'm in need to create a workflow and/or buy something off-the-shelf to streamline one of my localizaiton projects which consists of ~100 java properties files with the same name, and keeps growing in size and number per update. To best meet my needs, Catalyst [/quote]
Forget Catalyst, the first suitable version starts approx. at 4500 bucks, AFAIR.
And If you deal with several output languages with different code pages, it's the pain in the ass, Catalyst uses the OS system font to display the translated GUI.
You change the language, you restart.
Not very serious.

or Wintrans might be a fit with their leverage function, but they are way too expensive and I don't see high ROI.

Passolo Professional + Java add-in should do the job but it's expensive too (approx. 2500 euro with the Trados/SDLX add-in).
I translated Java with Passolo 6 and it worked well, it seems the Java handling in the 2007 version is better but I have no access to the Java add-in in the current version.

With DV workgroup, I can take advantage of multiple databases, and I can use it for other projects, but does it offer more flexibility than Pro? Any hidden jewels? I would like to be fully convinced before I click "buy".

In your case, the guaranteed matches feature seems a must.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-10 11:31 GMT]

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:40
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 11, 2008

Thank you, GG, Kevin and Seluk,

I'm almost convinced... I only wish Atril does respect the today's Euro-USD exchange rate. No idea how the US$ price came up...

I've never paid attention to Guaranteed Match because, of course, that feature doesn't come with Pro. I'm definitely interested.

Access to the API is also wonderful, only if I have enough time. With this particular project I'm involved in, I would like to integrate the file path information, among o
... See more
Thank you, GG, Kevin and Seluk,

I'm almost convinced... I only wish Atril does respect the today's Euro-USD exchange rate. No idea how the US$ price came up...

I've never paid attention to Guaranteed Match because, of course, that feature doesn't come with Pro. I'm definitely interested.

Access to the API is also wonderful, only if I have enough time. With this particular project I'm involved in, I would like to integrate the file path information, among other things, into TM or term database for easy view/reference. The fact DV can grab this information during External View creation tells me that I can store it somewhere and link it, or it might be there already. Too bad Atril hasn't exposed the API doc to public yet, though.

Speaking of External Views, I cannot agree more with Kevin and I highly appreciate it if WG offers more options and not just "empty/non-empty/pending/comments". With empty target rows, yes, it is so cumbersome with Pro. It forced me to learn the SQL command to update comment fields of empty targets. But I don't like doing it all the time because it wipes out whatever fields have already.

I really like the freedom DV offers, (even unlocked source segments, but I agree with GG, maybe they should lock them by default) as well as SQL select and filter/sort features. Because of my language pair (ENG-JPN - Word order is so different) I seldom turn on Auto Assemble, but if I collect enough corpses I may.

So, so many possibilities, not enough time and money.. I'm going to write and email Santa first.

Kindest Regards,
Rie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DejaVu workgroup -- tell me more

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »