GG

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:13
German to English
+ ...
What I would like to see... Dec 1, 2008

... is a special sale on upgrades from Pro to Workgroup. God knows there are enough of us out there who could benefit from making that transition. I recently did for one of my four licenses, and it has been a considerable boost to our productivity.

Atril, are you listening?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DVX level upgrade policy... Dec 1, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

ecial sale on upgrades from Pro to Workgroup. God knows there are enough of us out there who could benefit from making that transition. I recently did for one of my four licenses, and it has been a considerable boost to our productivity.

Atril, are you listening? [/quote]

Yep, seconded.
The DVX level upgrade price policy is somehow absurd.

Six months ago I bought a new DVX Workgroup licence with a 20% discount 'cause the difference between a new DVX Wkgp licence and a Pro-Wrgp switch (with no discount at all) was simply ridiculous (kinda 20-25%).

Potentially, me and my wife, we have 3 Pro licences to upgrade.
The decision is hard 'cause the DVX roadmap is unknown.
E.g. there are some serious rumours a new DV version is expected in a close future, so I'm rather reluctant to pay the upgrade twice.

Cheers
GG

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
I don't think you need to worry Dec 1, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
E.g. there are some serious rumours a new DV version is expected in a close future, so I'm rather reluctant to pay the upgrade twice.

I doubt you would. Atril's policies in this regard are about the best I've ever encountered. (This isn't a comparison with other CAT tool vendors except SDL/Trados but rather a general comment on software upgrades in general from Adobe, Abbyy and dozens of other companies I deal with.)

I expect that if the new upgrade to DVX comes out in the next few months (I think it was due about now if I remember the rumors) I won't pay at least for the license I just upgraded to Workgroup. As for the others, well... they were bought in 2000 as DV3 licenses, and when DVX appeared I got free upgrades, and I haven't paid for any of the improvements since. I actually hope I get charged this time, because Atril has given me an incredible amount of value and only charged me when I did something stupid like destroyed a dongle in a vacuum cleaner.

My only concern about the upgrade is how it will affect a DVX project management documentation project I'm working on. I'm not on the beta list and really don't have time to play there, so I hope that the interface won't change significantly, or I'll be re-doing a lot of screen shots on short notice.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advantages of a predictable pricing... Dec 1, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I doubt you would. Atril's policies in this regard are about the best I've ever encountered. (This isn't a comparison with other CAT tool vendors except SDL/Trados but rather a general comment on software upgrades in general from Adobe, Abbyy and dozens of other companies I deal with.)

Yes, I know.
The only problem is the upgrade price/planning policy is not clear/public.
E.g. I don't know I'll fall in the grace period or no.
Potentially, it makes a diffrerence of some hundreds of euro for every licence.
It's a lot of money for a freelancer.
But if I have an upgrade assurance, my decision will be very rapid
DVX Workgroup is worth this money.

BTW.
My arguments don't affect the current sales and a new licence purchase.
Even if Atril charges for the upgrade (in this context, I sincerily doubt it), the total price will be comparable to a new licence price (a 20-25% difference, I suppose).
It makes sense.
Normally, the DV upgrade cycle is 4-5 years long.
The DVX cost of ownership is simply ridiculous compared to Trados (normally, approx. 20-25% every year).
So... no comments...

I expect that if the new upgrade to DVX comes out in the next few months (I think it was due about now if I remember the rumors) I won't pay at least for the license I just upgraded to Workgroup. As for the others, well... they were bought in 2000 as DV3 licenses, and when DVX appeared I got free upgrades, and I haven't paid for any of the improvements since.

The same, I bought my first DV licence in 2002 (DV3 upgraded for free to DVX).
Gnerally, it's great.
The only problem it's difficult to prepare a budget.

E.g. 3-4 ago an IT company I worked for selected Trados because of a clear upgrade policy.
They knew they'll pay more but they know the approximative annual price.
It's a very corporate

Of course, there were other factors (mainly the integration with visual localization tools like Passolo, Catalyst, RC-Wintrans etc.).

I actually hope I get charged this time, because Atril has given me an incredible amount of value

Seconded.
The DVX ROI is incredible.

and only charged me when I did something stupid like destroyed a dongle in a vacuum cleaner.

LOL

My only concern about the upgrade is how it will affect a DVX project management documentation project I'm working on. I'm not on the beta list

Neither me.

and really don't have time to play there, so I hope that the interface won't change significantly, or I'll be re-doing a lot of screen shots on short notice.

I see.
I worked as technical writer and the screenshots were always the biggest pain in the arse.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-01 10:04 GMT]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Advantages of a family business Dec 1, 2008

Atril is in fact quite flexible when it comes to upgrades. Kevin, in fact I was charged for DVX, because I bought DV3 (or DV2 it actually was) too early, but when asked, they offered me the Workgroup version at the update price for later buyers.

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Typical Atril Dec 1, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
... they offered me the Workgroup version at the update price for later buyers.

So in other words, the DV2/3 -> DVX upgrade cost you nothing more than a free upgrade to Pro plus a subsequent upgrade to Workgroup. Yes, that is flexible thinking and good marketing. In many respects, those people amaze me. I'm seeing some of the same flexibility and creativity from the up-and-coming competition from Hungary, but I'll always have a special fondness for Atril and its people for all the help they have given me over the years. Many people have their stories of 3 a.m. rescues by Emilio, and the others still exceed any typical standards of support in the industry.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Rescued by Emilio Dec 1, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Many people have their stories of 3 a.m. rescues by Emilio

7 a.m. on a Sunday morning in my case

Andrea Kowalenko
Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Upgrade from Pro to Workgroup Dec 1, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

... is a special sale on upgrades from Pro to Workgroup. God knows there are enough of us out there who could benefit from making that transition. I recently did for one of my four licenses, and it has been a considerable boost to our productivity.

I would be interested in that one, too ....

Kind regards,
Andrea

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
ALERT: 30% off on upgrades in March 2009!!! Mar 14, 2009

This is what we've been waiting for... too bad it wasn't offered when I upgraded one of my licenses to Workgroup a few months ago. I would have saved 410 euros. Fortunately I was planning another upgrade

Contact [email protected] for details according to the e-mail I got. Upgrades from Standard to Pro are listed at € 340 and Pro to Workgroup at € 950.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sales on DVX...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »