Thread poster: Elizabeth Ask
Elizabeth Ask
Elizabeth Ask  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:46
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 27, 2008

Does anyone out there know where I can download Déjà Vu Editor (called "lite" by the project manager who told me an assignment could only be done using Déjà Vu)?
I can find some info on the Editor version at their website (www.atril.com), but I can't find how/where to download it. I understand it is a free version for freelancers, and the agency/client who has the full Déjá Vu program can create projects
... See more
Does anyone out there know where I can download Déjà Vu Editor (called "lite" by the project manager who told me an assignment could only be done using Déjà Vu)?
I can find some info on the Editor version at their website (www.atril.com), but I can't find how/where to download it. I understand it is a free version for freelancers, and the agency/client who has the full Déjá Vu program can create projects that I can work on.

Thanks for any suggestions! Also, comments from other freelancers with experience from work in this "lite" version will be appreciated.

Elizabeth
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:46
German to English
+ ...
DVX versions Nov 28, 2008

The download file on the Atril site is for all versions; the license code determines the functionality (Editor, Standard, Pro, Workgroup). Without a license code you'll have Workgroup. However, within a day or two of downloading the file, you can get an evaluation code to use all the features of the Pro version for a month. When the demo license expires, the functionality reverts to that of the editor.

Elizabeth Ask
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Déjà Vu "lite" is standard ... Dec 5, 2008

Kevin, thanks for the info! I've been so busy that I only got to downloading the program, but still haven't installed (I need a nice and quiet time for that. I expect to need it in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I will have time to brush up on how it works before that. A belated thanks again!

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Kevin probably meant to say... Dec 5, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Without a license code you'll have

Just Editor

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:46
German to English
+ ...
Oops! Dec 5, 2008

Yes... I have Workgroup on the brain lately, trying to get documentation for various undocumented features. That's exactly what I meant to say.

Elisabeth - take a look on Atril's site too in the documentation section. There are a few small documents there intended for editing tasks.

Elizabeth Ask
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, so Editor is the basic (free) version ... Dec 5, 2008

... and that's what I'll have without a licence. Thanks, Wolfgang and Kevin!

I think Editor is all I need, but nowhere on their site does it say "Download Editor here" - I need some pedagogy, haha. No well-kept secrets in the download area, thank you .

I love the pedagogy of letting me know about the documents on editing that are worth checking. Thank you, Kevin, that probably saved me a couple of hours ri
... See more
... and that's what I'll have without a licence. Thanks, Wolfgang and Kevin!

I think Editor is all I need, but nowhere on their site does it say "Download Editor here" - I need some pedagogy, haha. No well-kept secrets in the download area, thank you .

I love the pedagogy of letting me know about the documents on editing that are worth checking. Thank you, Kevin, that probably saved me a couple of hours right there!
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Editor is very limited though Dec 6, 2008

AFAIK, even spellchecking is impossible. The only advantage is that you can view and insert the lexicon entries.
Maybe your client should consider sending you the work in so-called External View files. These are normal Word files that can be processed normally in Word or even with another CAT tool of your choice. Workgroup also has the option to export a project in a Trados-compatible presegmented format, so you would not have to change your normal routine (I see in your profile that you u
... See more
AFAIK, even spellchecking is impossible. The only advantage is that you can view and insert the lexicon entries.
Maybe your client should consider sending you the work in so-called External View files. These are normal Word files that can be processed normally in Word or even with another CAT tool of your choice. Workgroup also has the option to export a project in a Trados-compatible presegmented format, so you would not have to change your normal routine (I see in your profile that you use SDL Trados).
Collapse

Elizabeth Ask
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
External View files sound good Dec 6, 2008

In fact, I asked for something I could work on in Trados/Workbench, but she said it wasn't an option this time ... perhaps the end customer has a lot of terminology that would be accessible to me in DV (the lexicon entries you mentioned). Anyhow, in a couple of weeks I will go on to instal the "lite" version, and get to know it. That means you may hear from me again ... Have a nice weekend!

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Your client is probably not very experienced in using DVX Dec 6, 2008

... because preparing a project for you to process in the Editor version takes just as much time as preparing an External view file, and this would give both sides exactly what they want.
Maybe your client only owns the Professional version, which does not allow full External View exports, but in that case, you would not be able to open his projects in Editor, either.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The "only" advantage? Dec 6, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
The only advantage is that you can view and insert the lexicon entries.
Maybe your client should consider sending you the work in so-called External View files.

Hmm, what about alphabetical sorting, filter on source string and/or target string, view dozens of files in a unified view, or individually, providing someone creates a project for you, create, view and sort a lexicon of project terms, propagate a translation to the current file or all files, check numbers, copy source to target in any number of rows, view all empty rows, view all locked rows, view all duplicate rows, view all propagated rows, etc.

All these feature are available in the "Editor".

Not bad for a free tool!

Elizabeth Ask
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Dec 6, 2008

That's an advantage for both DV users and Trados users, then. Next time this agency gets back I will find out more. The agency is big, so there must be some other reason, as well ... Maybe it's just the project leader who is not so experienced yet. BTW, I suppose Trados projects can also be prepared for DV users? (that might belong in a different thread)

Wolfgang Jörissen
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
David is right Dec 6, 2008

David Turner wrote:
Hmm, what about alphabetical sorting, filter on source string and/or target string, view dozens of files in a unified view, or individually, providing someone creates a project for you, create, view and sort a lexicon of project terms, propagate a translation to the current file or all files, check numbers, copy source to target in any number of rows, view all empty rows, view all locked rows, view all duplicate rows, view all propagated rows, etc.

You are perfectly right, I forgot about those. Sometimes you get so used to the good things that you do not even care remembering that they are actually there

Elisabeth Ask wrote:
BTW, I suppose Trados projects can also be prepared for DV users? (that might belong in a different thread)

That's right. Daily routine for many of us.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX Editor vs SDLX Lite... Dec 6, 2008

David Turner wrote:

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
The only advantage is that you can view and insert the lexicon entries.
Maybe your client should consider sending you the work in so-called External View files.

All these feature are available in the "Editor".

Not bad for a free tool!

David, you're perfectly right but I'm missing the TM and the termbases (e.g, you can't check multiple matches, scan for concordance etc).
Probably it's the reason why Wolfgang suggested the External view approach, isn't it?

For the Editor, I would imagine rather a tool like the Idiom Workbench 7.x i.e. a full DVX except the project creation.
The same approach was selected for SDLX Lite, i.e. an editor able to open only the files created in SDLX Elite (yes, I know, the SDLX Elite is not longer officially accessible 'cause SDL wants to push server sales but an upgrade from the provious versions is still possible).

IMHO DVX Editor is too crippled.
It could be a splendid marketing tool for Atril and it could boost the DVX Workgroup sales.

Atril misses the oportunity to enter in the market segment SDL leaves.
I.e. small/medium agencies working with translators who start to work with CATs.
It's still an interesting target.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-06 19:00 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A simple recipe for a Trados-DVX-Trados hamburger :) Dec 6, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Elisabeth Ask wrote:
BTW, I suppose Trados projects can also be prepared for DV users? (that might belong in a different thread)

That's right. Daily routine for many of us. [/quote]

If a project has more than one page, I switch immediately to DVX.

Recipe:

• Pretlanslate in Trados using the option "Segment unkown sentences"

• Import your DOC/RTF or TTX files in DVX.

• Translate and proofread.

• Export.

• Proofread the second time in Trados (in TT, you may use some QA plugins/verifiers features unavailable in DVX).

I fact, DVX is centered in the translator's work, Trados is "textcentric" and the translator seems only the pain in the arse in this text processing

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-06 12:59 GMT]

Elizabeth Ask
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tips on DV Dec 6, 2008

Thanks to David and Grzegorz, too, for all the insight in what DV can do, and how to implement my "project hamburger" the day I have both CAT's . I'm one of the many who just happened to start with Trados, but I intend to ease into more CATs/tools as time (and money) allow. Last month's investment was a paying membership here at ProZ, and I sure feel good about that! Take care, I really have to get burried in my forestry translatio... See more
Thanks to David and Grzegorz, too, for all the insight in what DV can do, and how to implement my "project hamburger" the day I have both CAT's . I'm one of the many who just happened to start with Trados, but I intend to ease into more CATs/tools as time (and money) allow. Last month's investment was a paying membership here at ProZ, and I sure feel good about that! Take care, I really have to get burried in my forestry translation project, without hamburgers. / LizCollapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info on downloading Déjà Vu "lite"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »