Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 01:10
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Oct 19, 2008

Hi
I want to change the word order in a sentences that has several embedded codes in Déjà Vu, as the word order in English is not always the same in another language without getting a message that the embedded codes are corrupted in this sentence:

For example:
Use Tool {1065}C{1066} in order to install part one {1067}6{1068} onto part two {1069}6{1070}.

In the translated sentence the embedded codes are arranged this way (here in English for demonstration
... See more
Hi
I want to change the word order in a sentences that has several embedded codes in Déjà Vu, as the word order in English is not always the same in another language without getting a message that the embedded codes are corrupted in this sentence:

For example:
Use Tool {1065}C{1066} in order to install part one {1067}6{1068} onto part two {1069}6{1070}.

In the translated sentence the embedded codes are arranged this way (here in English for demonstration purposes):
Install part one {1067}6{1068} onto part two {1069}6{1070} with tool {1065}C{1066}

How can I fix this?
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Some tactics... Oct 19, 2008

Tjasa Kuerpick wrote:

For example:

In the translated sentence the embedded codes are arranged this way (here in English for demonstration purposes):
Install part one {1067}6{1068} onto part two {1069}6{1070} with tool {1065}C{1066}

It's probably the most annoying thing in DVX when you translate from English to a Slavic language.

Take a look on the real formatting of the source document.
E.g., when C, 6, 6 are formatted as bold or italic, you can simply reproduce the original code order.
I.e.:
Install part one {1065}6{1066} onto part two {1067}6{1068} with tool {1069}C{1070}.
When the code function is diferent, sometimes you can change the codes order (it depends of the code function).
Just pretlanslate and check the codes (or pseudotranslate) and see if the document exports.

What type of document you translate?
I often suggest to prepare the document in Trados (TTX workflow), then you can modify the codes as you want despite of error messages.

Cheers
GG

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Comment function (in Word) Oct 20, 2008

Another strategy, if your document is a Word document, is to add comments (Control-M).
When you export the file, you must remember to click the box "Export target comments as Office comments".
The sentence is then highlighted (in yellow) in your exported Word file, and you can see your comment by hovering over (or clicking on) the comment number (as far as I remember, the comments are numbered DVX1, DVX2 etc.).
Make the changes you need, then delete the comment number, and the
... See more
Another strategy, if your document is a Word document, is to add comments (Control-M).
When you export the file, you must remember to click the box "Export target comments as Office comments".
The sentence is then highlighted (in yellow) in your exported Word file, and you can see your comment by hovering over (or clicking on) the comment number (as far as I remember, the comments are numbered DVX1, DVX2 etc.).
Make the changes you need, then delete the comment number, and the highlighting will disappear.

I find this function useful for formatting issues (like the one you describe), and also as a reminder for things that I want to inform the client about (e.g. errors in the source file).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word order and Embedded Codes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »