David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2008

DVX Standard user here.

Is there a way I can import MS Publisher files? A quick look at Wikipedia's page on CAT suggests no CAT software supports them! Ideas, hints, and workarounds welcome.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:54
English to Russian
Try saving the Publisher file as a MS Word/RTF file Oct 13, 2008

As far as I remember you can save a MS Publisher file (if you have the application on your computer) as a MS Word/RTF file which you can then import into DVX. You will probably lose most of the formatting on the way, but that's the only workaround I can think of. If you don't have the publisher, you may try downloading a trisl version from MS site. However, I am not sure they provide trial downloads.

[Edited at 2008-10-13 19:32]

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RTF works, but... Oct 13, 2008

Thanks for that hint. I do have Publisher (as part of Office 2003 suite on XP) and could save the text as an RTF document with no trouble. I had to reformat the RTF document to prevent a fatal error in DVX on import, though, which seemed to relate to an unrecognisable font (putting the whole document in a regular font seemed to do the trick).

However the end result is an unrecognisable mess. I don't think I really want this particular job anyway at this point, but other suggestions/
... See more
Thanks for that hint. I do have Publisher (as part of Office 2003 suite on XP) and could save the text as an RTF document with no trouble. I had to reformat the RTF document to prevent a fatal error in DVX on import, though, which seemed to relate to an unrecognisable font (putting the whole document in a regular font seemed to do the trick).

However the end result is an unrecognisable mess. I don't think I really want this particular job anyway at this point, but other suggestions/workarounds/experiences are still welcome!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
through html Oct 13, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108572-trados_tageditor_82:_ms_publisher_pub_files.html

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HTML is definitely better... Oct 14, 2008

Thanks for that tip. I saved the .pub document as a web page (.htm), imported and exported it to and from DVX and opened it with Publisher. As you say, it then needs saving as a .pub document to look right. The only enduring problem I have right now is that the bottom of the page stretches off almost to infinity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX and MS Publisher (or not)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »