Hungarian translation of the Quran - need help to create index of all terms
Thread poster: Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
Local time: 14:05
English to Hungarian
Apr 28, 2008

Dear forum members,

I am a Hungarian muslim, and I am the member of that group, who translate the meaning of the Holy Quran into Hungarian language. To improve our job, I need a list of all the phrases in the Arabic Quran text, which is contain more then one word, and which is occur more then one times in the text. I tried a lot of concordance, text analyzer, phrase counting software, but either can not handle Arabic text, or can not handle phrases just single words. Deja Vu X trans
... See more
Dear forum members,

I am a Hungarian muslim, and I am the member of that group, who translate the meaning of the Holy Quran into Hungarian language. To improve our job, I need a list of all the phrases in the Arabic Quran text, which is contain more then one word, and which is occur more then one times in the text. I tried a lot of concordance, text analyzer, phrase counting software, but either can not handle Arabic text, or can not handle phrases just single words. Deja Vu X translation program has the Lexicon feature, which can generate automatically index of all terms in the project, sorted by number of occurrences.
Could anyone help us to create with Deja Vu X Lexicon this list in sha Allah? (I can send the word file with the full Quran text). Or please help us to find the right software solution to do this task.

Thanks in advance

Zsombor (Ibrahim) Komaromi
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Creating a word + phrase list with DVX lexicon Apr 28, 2008

1. Open your project in DVX
2. Select Lexicon>Build lexicon (from the menu at the top of the screen)
3. Click "Limit maximum number of words" (so that there is a tick in the box in front of the line of text)
4. Define the maximum number of words in the small box on the right.
5. Click "Current file" or "All files" to suit your project.
6. OK

This will give you a list of all words and phrases which occur in the project.

7. Open the lexicon
... See more
3. Click "Limit maximum number of words" (so that there is a tick in the box in front of the line of text)
6. OK

7. Open the lexicon (by double clicking it in the file navigator).
8. Sort it as necessary (if you click on the name of your source language above the rows in the lexicon, this will give you a sort order box).

You will probably have too much material in the list, so you will have to edit the list somehow.
When I use the lexicon in this way in normal projects, I usually enter the target terms which I want to have in the lexicon and leave the rest empty, then select Lexicon>Remove entries and delete "All rows with empty targets".

For your purpose, it is probably better to use File>Export>Lexicon and then edit your list in another program (e.g. Excel, as a table in Word, or any other program you wish to use).
Collapse

Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Deja Vu X and Quran Apr 28, 2008

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

6. OK

7. Open the lexicon (by double clicking it in the file navigator).
8. Sort it as necessary (if you click on the name of your source language above the rows in the lexicon, this will give you a sort order box).

You will probably have too much material in the list, so you will have to edit the list somehow.
When I use the lexicon in this way in normal projects, I usually enter the target terms which I want to have in the lexicon and leave the rest empty, then select Lexicon>Remove entries and delete "All rows with empty targets".

For your purpose, it is probably better to use File>Export>Lexicon and then edit your list in another program (e.g. Excel, as a table in Word, or any other program you wish to use).

Dear Victor,

You misunderstand me: I need somebody to do this job, and not to say, how to do. The Deja Vu is quite expensive, and we will not use it for translation. And send 500 Euro just to create a list of expression is too high cost. So: would somebody - Deja Vu X user - do me a list of the expression from the Quran text? I don't know how big work is that, but naturally I can pay it if it is needed.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the trial version Apr 28, 2008

Ibrahim, why can you not do it yourselves? The trial version of DVX is fully functional.

Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Deja Vu X Apr 28, 2008

GoodWords wrote:

Ibrahim, why can you not do it yourselves? The trial version of DVX is fully functional.

Coz the Déjà vu X downloadable version is only an editor version. But it is possible, that I did something wrong. I went to the Atril’s Webpage (http://www.atril.com/), here I chose "Downloads”, and here Déjà Vu X full product / free evaluation. After that I had to fulfill a short form, and after that I could download a setup.zip file, which contains just an editor version. Moreover when is started this version, it came a Warning table with the next text: “Déjà vu X is currently running in demo mode. As a result, some features are not available and text retrieved from the databases will be distorted.” Do you think, this would be the suitable tool to my purposes?

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
DVX users, please? Apr 28, 2008

I still use DV3, in which the free trial used to offer all the functionality of the full program.

I invite DVX users to respond and inform us whether there is a way to use the trial to meet the needs of Ibrahim's group.

Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry! Apr 28, 2008

GoodWords wrote:

Meantime I requested and received an evaluation code from Atril. I start to create a Lexicon. Thank you

Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Lexicon doesnt work in demo mode Apr 29, 2008

Ibrahim_67 wrote:

GoodWords wrote:

Meantime I requested and received an evaluation code from Atril. I start to create a Lexicon. Thank you

I added the evaluation code, generated the lexicon, and I tried to export to excel worksheet. The result: all the arabic text distorted - every arabic letter converted to european one. I don't know, that is to punish the user of the demo version, or is a simple program error. So back to the original question: have anyone capacity to generate me an excel sheet with the more frequent phrases from the Quran? As I experienced, it takes one hours with deja vu.

Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
DV3 Apr 29, 2008

GoodWords wrote:

I still use DV3, in which the free trial used to offer all the functionality of the full program.

I invite DVX users to respond and inform us whether there is a way to use the trial to meet the needs of Ibrahim's group.

Dear GoodWords

I tried to use the DV3 demo too: there are no lexicon features, and strikly limitation in the functions.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
DV3 no option Apr 29, 2008

GoodWords wrote:

The demo version of DV3 once offered a great deal of features. In fact, it used to be a real freebee a couple of years ago, but these days are long gong since you cannot create projects anymore. The downloadable version at Atril is only for existing users. Licence codes for DV3 are not given anymore, so using DV3 seems out of the question here. But the DVX trial should meet the needs.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Problem solved in the meantime? May 5, 2008

I added the evaluation code, generated the lexicon, and I tried to export to excel worksheet. The result: all the arabic text distorted - every arabic letter converted to european one. I don't know, that is to punish the user of the demo version, or is a simple program error.

In case this problem persists: Have you tried sending the lexicon to translation memory and exporting it with the export options from there? Or have you tried exporting to text and importing that text file into Excel? Sorry, I have no experience with Arabic characters, but AFAIK, it should work. Maybe log into the support forum on the Atril site, they might be more competent.

Zsombor Komaromi
Zsombor Komaromi
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Final result May 5, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

I added the evaluation code, generated the lexicon, and I tried to export to excel worksheet. The result: all the arabic text distorted - every arabic letter converted to european one. I don't know, that is to punish the user of the demo version, or is a simple program error.

In case this problem persists: Have you tried sending the lexicon to translation memory and exporting it with the export options from there? Or have you tried exporting to text and importing that text file into Excel? Sorry, I have no experience with Arabic characters, but AFAIK, it should work. Maybe log into the support forum on the Atril site, they might be more competent.

Dear Wolfgang,

I wrote to Atril, and I received the next answer:

“It is a very serious bug in the Déjà Vu X export lexicon module. We will try to fix it as soon as possible.
Anyway, there is a workaround, but you will not get neither the frequencies nor the entry words:
1. Go to “Lexicon >> Send lexicon to Terminology Database” – it will send all the entries of the lexicon to the Terminology attached to the project so it is better that you create a new empty terminology and send the lexicon to it.
2. Open the terminology and export it as TXT file, with encoding “Unicode”.
3. Open Excel and open the file with this program (go to File >> Open >> Select “All files” in the file format)
4. You will get the terminology entries with its translations in Arabic.”

I tried to do this, but after the database export I received the next message:
“0 entries processed
0 entries added
0 entries updated"

I try to do more way (with different selections), but the result was always the same. So I did with another method:
I put a line with all the Arabic letters to the lexicon (ااابتثجحخدذرزسشصضطظعفقكلمنوهيىأإؤئةغ). On the beginning (at the end) of the line there are three aliph, that is, coz I can recognize, that during the export process change the direction of the writing or not.
After that I converted the lexicon to Excel sheet, and with the replace function I changed all the letters one by one. Finally I get the whole text in Arabic.
My only problem is only that, that in the result (which is contains 16000 line) there are lot of duplicate sentences. For example the “Bismi Allahi ar-rahmani ar-rahimi” can find as “Allahi ar-rahmani ar-rahimi”, “Bismi Allahi ar-rahmani”, “ar-rahmani ar-rahimi”, “Bismi Allahi”, etc. There are a sentence, which contains 24 words, and I can find in the excel sheet more then 20 times. But finally we can use it if Allah will that.

Thank you for your cooperation

Warm regards

Zsombor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hungarian translation of the Quran - need help to create index of all terms

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »