Thread poster: Shelley Upton
Shelley Upton
Shelley Upton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
Member (2018)
French to English
Oct 4, 2019

Please accept my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - if it has, I cannot find it.

I have just purchased Deja Vu X3.
I watched the beginners' video carefully, but I have no experience with the software.

I am part way through my first project (a Word document) and want to export my translation.
When I try, the process seems to start (and I said 'yes, add missing spaces at the end of segments', so it got that far) and then with the green bar gets
... See more
Please accept my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - if it has, I cannot find it.

I have just purchased Deja Vu X3.
I watched the beginners' video carefully, but I have no experience with the software.

I am part way through my first project (a Word document) and want to export my translation.
When I try, the process seems to start (and I said 'yes, add missing spaces at the end of segments', so it got that far) and then with the green bar gets three quarters of the way across I get the message "export progress: not responding" and then the dialogue box disappears. Nothing is exported.

All segments have content (I used machine translation)

I found a code error as per a posting elsewhere (I used Ctrl, Shift, F8) - the codes look like this: \{00108\}Un label prestigieux\{00109\}, and one had an extra curly bracket.

I tried exporting again, but the same error occurs on export.

I ran QA, as a result of which all the segments now appear in alphabetical order, which is another question - how on earth do I get them back into the correct order?

Does every segment have to be confirmed before I can export? That didn't seem to be the case in the video.
If so, is there a way to confirm all segments at once?

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer. I need to deliver this translation on Monday!

Thank you,
Shelley
Collapse

Shelley Upton
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update: problem partly solved... Oct 4, 2019

Hello again, the file has actually exported, so that's a relief, although it still showed an error message when exporting!

All that remains is the question of how to get the segments from alphabetical to original order.
Thank you,
Shelley

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:01
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try this Oct 4, 2019

Smu Upton wrote:

I ran QA, as a result of which all the segments now appear in alphabetical order, which is another question - how on earth do I get them back into the correct order?

This happened because you may accidently have clicked on the top rim of the source or target pane. Please repeat this action to reassemble the order of the segments.

Does every segment have to be confirmed before I can export? That didn't seem to be the case in the video.
If so, is there a way to confirm all segments at once?

Mark all target segments from the top to the bottom and then hit CTRL + Shift + T

And did you "repair" that one segment with the wrong code? Try to copy the source into the target box by F5, and try again.

Lingua DK
Lingua DK  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Dejavu X3 Oct 4, 2019

Codes are always {108} - only a number within the brackets - so you may have to take a closer look at the codes.

But I would contact Atril - they are always most helpful.

Shelley Upton
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Mathias! Oct 4, 2019

Thank you so much - the segments are now back in the right order!!

And yes, I did repair the code error - it's a puzzle. For the moment, I am very, very grateful that I can get on with my translation without panicking I'll never get it out of the CAT tool!!

Have a truly wonderful day!

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Smu Upton wrote:

This happened because you may accidently have clicked on the top rim of the source or target pane. Please repeat this action to reassemble the order of the segments.

Mark all target segments from the top to the bottom and then hit CTRL + Shift + T

And did you "repair" that one segment with the wrong code? Try to copy the source into the target box by F5, and try again.

Shelley Upton
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 4, 2019

That's useful to know.
This is how the codes appeared in DV when I imported the document. I've just imported it into Smartcat and there are no slashes in the code. Odd.
But I have a file I can work with - thank you again

Lingua DK wrote:

Codes are always {108} - only a number within the brackets - so you may have to take a closer look at the codes.

But I would contact Atril - they are always most helpful.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You are welcome, but ... Oct 4, 2019

... perhaps your code is not a normal code (as it normally appears in DV and in grey colour), but a regex (regular expression), and in black colour? Those are annoying and should be copied identically into the target, but they should not have any effect on exporting the file. In fact, regexes can be converted into "normal" DV codes (there is a tutorial about that on YouTube) for easier handling.

Shelley Upton
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
And thank you again! Oct 4, 2019

Oooh - I hadn't thought of that. Yes. they are black rather than grey. I shall search out the tutorial you mention.
Smartcat imported them without slashes and actually placed the right code with the right segment in the translation, which DV didn't do. If I'd changed them to normal DV codes it would probably not have been confused. A new CAT tool is such a learning curve! Added to this being an MTPE task, again a relatively new venture for me, it's all a bit confusing, but I'm sure it wil
... See more
Oooh - I hadn't thought of that. Yes. they are black rather than grey. I shall search out the tutorial you mention.
Smartcat imported them without slashes and actually placed the right code with the right segment in the translation, which DV didn't do. If I'd changed them to normal DV codes it would probably not have been confused. A new CAT tool is such a learning curve! Added to this being an MTPE task, again a relatively new venture for me, it's all a bit confusing, but I'm sure it will all become clearer soon and especially with help from colleagues like you!
Thanks again

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... perhaps your code is not a normal code (as it normally appears in DV and in grey colour), but a regex (regular expression), and in black colour? Those are annoying and should be copied identically into the target, but they should not have any effect on exporting the file. In fact, regexes can be converted into "normal" DV codes (there is a tutorial about that on YouTube) for easier handling.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why regexes at all in your job? Oct 5, 2019

Smu Upton wrote:

Smartcat imported them without slashes and actually placed the right code with the right segment in the translation, which DV didn't do.

I wonder why your job contains regexes at all. This seems to be often the case when the PM exports the contents from their CMS into tables in a Word file, without considering certain settings to avoid those codes. Perhaps you should (next time?) ask your PM to deliver a cleaner CMS export, but mostly they do not know how to deal with their systems the proper way. I hope, DV still is a better tool anyway for your files than Studio or memQ would be. By the way: What file format do / did you handle?

Shelley Upton
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unnecessary regex Oct 5, 2019

Hello again,
The document I was given was, indeed, a Word file. And I suspect you are right, the agency is charming, but not noticeably clueful!

Being so new to DV - I've literally only had it a week - I have a lot to learn. I've been using Smartcat for the past three years, which handles pretty much any file format, and, in this case, took care of the tags more sensibly, but its lack of a live preview irritates me and sometimes it can be quite slow. Also, I travel a lot, so w
... See more
Hello again,
The document I was given was, indeed, a Word file. And I suspect you are right, the agency is charming, but not noticeably clueful!

Being so new to DV - I've literally only had it a week - I have a lot to learn. I've been using Smartcat for the past three years, which handles pretty much any file format, and, in this case, took care of the tags more sensibly, but its lack of a live preview irritates me and sometimes it can be quite slow. Also, I travel a lot, so wanted a CAT tool I could use offline. I did a trial of Studio, but my head exploded!!

I've just been reading about using codezapper within DV, (procrastinate? moi?) so once this seemingly never-ending task is off my desk I shall see what difference that makes.

[/quote]

I wonder why your job contains regexes at all. This seems to be often the case when the PM exports the contents from their CMS into tables in a Word file, without considering certain settings to avoid those codes. Perhaps you should (next time?) ask your PM to deliver a cleaner CMS export, but mostly they do not know how to deal with their systems the proper way. I hope, DV still is a better tool anyway for your files than Studio or memQ would be. By the way: What file format do / did you handle? [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

export progress: not responding

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »