David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2017

Hi

I have an existing project that crashes on opening.

When opened, the AutoSearch Portions window flickers and the project cannot be accessed. Other projects work fine.

Any suggestions, fixes welcome.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:02
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Repair the project Feb 15, 2017

Have you tried using the Repair tool?

I have a similar problem in DVX3—in my case, it has been happening with every single project I have created since I upgraded to Windows 10. The Repair tool always fixes the problem, not only with corrupt project databases but also with corrupt translation memories and term bases.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 08:42 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
Repair but... Feb 15, 2017

Hi Eutychus,

You should first backup your project file. Repair will most probably fix it but in case it fails, you will have another copy (not 'Repair'ed, in other words modified) that you can send to Atril support.

@Epameinondas
There should be a problem in your system. It could be a Windows problem or a corrupt DVX3 installation. Is autoupdate for DVX3 on? Please turn it off and try again. After all, Atril does not create nightly builds...
See more
Hi Eutychus,

You should first backup your project file. Repair will most probably fix it but in case it fails, you will have another copy (not 'Repair'ed, in other words modified) that you can send to Atril support.

@Epameinondas
There should be a problem in your system. It could be a Windows problem or a corrupt DVX3 installation. Is autoupdate for DVX3 on? Please turn it off and try again. After all, Atril does not create nightly builds

Selcuk

Ps. But a new build will be ready, really soon.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 09:19 GMT]
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sort of fixed Feb 15, 2017

I moved the project to another device and it opened with no problems (but naturally without the local translation memories attached).

Unfortunately it has been deleted from the device on which it crashed so I can't try the Repair solution, but that sounds like a good option for future reference.

Thanks both.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No fix for me Feb 15, 2017

I've discussed this with Atril and tried several suggestions, but the problem persists, as does a constant flickering when the AutoWrite box pops up and I keep typing.

The new build will not contain a fix for me, since they couldn't reproduce it, so I'll have to put up with it for the time being.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
background instances Feb 15, 2017

@Eutychus

Then the problem was another instance of the project open in the background. Next time, if it ever happens again, try killing background DVX instances (or restart Windows).

Selcuk

[Edited at 2017-02-15 09:27 GMT]

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nope, that didn't work Feb 15, 2017

None of that worked on the original device. It looks more like a problem linking to the TM to me.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Repair every single instance... Feb 15, 2017

I recall that when working with DVX2 and I made SQL changes to the translation memory, or after similar crashes on start, I have repaired *every single instance* that was involved in the project: you have to repair separately the project, the TM and the termbases. This has to be done in cases of power failure or anything that would end DVX2 abnormally.
But as Selcuk has suggested: make a backup in case it doesn't work so you can send it to the support.

Mike

[Edited at 2
... See more
I recall that when working with DVX2 and I made SQL changes to the translation memory, or after similar crashes on start, I have repaired *every single instance* that was involved in the project: you have to repair separately the project, the TM and the termbases. This has to be done in cases of power failure or anything that would end DVX2 abnormally.
But as Selcuk has suggested: make a backup in case it doesn't work so you can send it to the support.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-15 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
The problem is still there in build 744 May 27, 2017

The problem described in this thread is still present in DVX3 build 744. Every single database (project, translation memory, term base) appears corrupt when opening. The problem seems to happen only when trying to open it from the Jump List in Windows Task Bar or by double clicking in File Explorer. When using DVX3's File > Open, the databases open without a problem.

Note: Before reinstalling DVX3 I deleted every single item that had to do with Atril or DVX3: in Program Files, Progr
... See more
The problem described in this thread is still present in DVX3 build 744. Every single database (project, translation memory, term base) appears corrupt when opening. The problem seems to happen only when trying to open it from the Jump List in Windows Task Bar or by double clicking in File Explorer. When using DVX3's File > Open, the databases open without a problem.

Note: Before reinstalling DVX3 I deleted every single item that had to do with Atril or DVX3: in Program Files, Program Data, AppData (I think), and the Registry.

I hope this information saves another user some frustration. Let's all hope Atril stop refusing to acknowledge bugs and start listening to other people besides their dozen of long-time users who visit their user group and reject the idea of any change, improvement or new feature.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX2 project crashes on opening

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »