Thread poster: Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:05
German to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2013

Hello, what are your experiences with using .sdlxliff files in Deja Vu?

Stephen Schwanbeck
Stephen Schwanbeck  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Could you be more specific? Sep 16, 2013

Hi Julia.

Your question is quite general. What exactly do you want to know? How to go about importing sdlxliff files in DVX? (BTW, what version are you using?) How to find them in a Trados package? Should you translate just the xliffs and not the actual source files? It'd be worthwhile (and time-saving) to know exactly what you want to find out.

Have you tried reading through postings about xliff files o
... See more
Hi Julia.

Your question is quite general. What exactly do you want to know? How to go about importing sdlxliff files in DVX? (BTW, what version are you using?) How to find them in a Trados package? Should you translate just the xliffs and not the actual source files? It'd be worthwhile (and time-saving) to know exactly what you want to find out.

Have you tried reading through postings about xliff files on the DVX discussion list? (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dejavu-l/info)

Best,

Stephen
DVX2 Professional
Collapse

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
background info of long-term Trados user Sep 16, 2013

Dear Stephen,

you are right, my question is quite general. Here, a little background information. I have been using Trados for seven years and wanted to, finally, upgrade to Studio 2011. Perhaps you are aware of the fact that Trados 2007 (note: we are talking about Trados 2007, not the Suite) will no longer be supported by the end of the year. While I was quite happy to work with Trados, I am starting to get rather upset about their marketing strategy and how long-term Trados users
... See more
Dear Stephen,

you are right, my question is quite general. Here, a little background information. I have been using Trados for seven years and wanted to, finally, upgrade to Studio 2011. Perhaps you are aware of the fact that Trados 2007 (note: we are talking about Trados 2007, not the Suite) will no longer be supported by the end of the year. While I was quite happy to work with Trados, I am starting to get rather upset about their marketing strategy and how long-term Trados users do not seem to be valued as existing customers. The story is a bit longer than that, but I'll leave it at that, for now.

Since I am now forced to buy a full version of Trados, I am looking at other options. Deja Vu was already on my short-list in 2007, so I would like to give it a go. The added bonus of free technical support and a slightly more attractive retail price doesn't make it easier to want to stay with Trados. Some of my customers use SDL Trados Studio 2011 which is why I was interested in finding out about Deja Vu users' experiences with this file format. I have now downloaded the test version Deja Vu X2 and need to find out how easy it is to work with .sdlxliff files.

Thanks for any input you may have.
Julia
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Stephen Sep 16, 2013

I'd like to follow up Julia's query, and more specifically ask you how exactly does one import an sdlxliff then export it after translation? I have DVX2 Workgroup version 8.0.630, which as far as I'm aware is the latest upgrade, and to which this sdlxliff feature was added, if the e-mail announcement was anything to go by. The problem is that it's not documented anywhere, or if it is, the information is very well hidden.

My assumption is that to import it you simply point to it in t
... See more
I'd like to follow up Julia's query, and more specifically ask you how exactly does one import an sdlxliff then export it after translation? I have DVX2 Workgroup version 8.0.630, which as far as I'm aware is the latest upgrade, and to which this sdlxliff feature was added, if the e-mail announcement was anything to go by. The problem is that it's not documented anywhere, or if it is, the information is very well hidden.

My assumption is that to import it you simply point to it in the Import menu (as you do with any other file type). But to export it things are far from obvious, because there's no sdlxliff option listed under Format in External Views (only xliff is listed).
Collapse

Stephen Schwanbeck
France
French to English
+ ...
I find xliff files easy to work with Sep 16, 2013

I have heard about the various developments regarding Trados and, like many fellow translators, I often get e-mails from SDL. However, I've never used Trados and am not very familiar with its workings, so I can't compare it with DVX. However, I can say (and this is completely objective) that complaints about DVX's technical support appear regularly on the DVX discussion list. Have you tried translating any xliff files yet?

Here's how I work with xliff files. First of all, you need t
... See more
I have heard about the various developments regarding Trados and, like many fellow translators, I often get e-mails from SDL. However, I've never used Trados and am not very familiar with its workings, so I can't compare it with DVX. However, I can say (and this is completely objective) that complaints about DVX's technical support appear regularly on the DVX discussion list. Have you tried translating any xliff files yet?

Here's how I work with xliff files. First of all, you need to know that you will want to work ONLY in the files in the TARGET LANGUAGE folder in the sdlppx file provided (you can't import the sdlppx into DVX). Once you copy them to your source folder, you add and import them like any other file. Before importing the files, you can check their properties (Filter: XLIFF - Segmentation: deselected - Encoding: Default). Generally, the correct boxes are selected/deselected and you simply select "import". When you do so, a window appears prompting you to select the target language (and variant). Again, you usually just have to click OK, and DVX imports the files. In my experience, and depending on the number of files, importing takes a matter of a few seconds. After you've finished translating the files, you simply export them, either individually via the Project Explorer, or in one go via the Advanced Project Explorer.

The major quibble I have with xliff files is the fact that you're not working in the actual source files. In my case, I have to send the translated xliff files to the PM, who sends back the translated source files so that I can check them, make the necessary changes, and send them back. It creates a few extra steps, but it's still manageable.

One caveat: I'm still using the previous build (8.0.620). I know that the most recent build contains a fix for an issue when exporting certain xliff files and features support for unsegemented xliff files. For various reasons, I haven't yet gotten around to downloading it.

I strongly recommend subscribing to the DVX discussion list on Yahoo. You'll find lots of discussions there about xliff files and Trados.

I hope I've answered your questions.
Collapse

Stephen Schwanbeck
France
French to English
+ ...
@wotswot Sep 16, 2013

wotswot wrote:

My assumption is that to import it you simply point to it in the Import menu (as you do with any other file type). But to export it things are far from obvious, because there's no sdlxliff option listed under Format in External Views (only xliff is listed).

Yes, lots of information about DVX is very well hidden. The user's manual is dry and discusses general situations. Most answers to specific (and unexpected) issues are found on the discussion list.

As I've already mentioned, I'm still using build 8.0.620 and I haven't yet had any issues importing or exporting xliff files (knock wood). I simply proceed as I've described without changing any of the preset options. I'm not sure what you mean by "Format in External Views". Are you talking about the Advanced Project Explorer?

I did receive the email announcing the new update. However, I was busy working on a big project at the time and I didn't want to risk encountering any problems that could have delayed delivery. Then I went on vacation and I've simply not gotten around to doing it since then. Also, a beta tester I know advised me to always wait a little while and to read about other users' experiences on the users' list before installing a recently released build. That said, you should always keep a copy of the previous build. That way, if the new build is too wonky, you can always go back to the familiar previous one.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Stephen Sep 16, 2013

To be complete, what I meant was:
File > Export > External View then the 'Format' heading, where sdlxliff isn't listed!!
I'm sure you're aware that sdlxliff is by no means compatible with xliff. SDL say it's standard xliff with some proprietary features added, which is why up to now no other CAT tools (as far as I'm aware) have been able to seamlessly import then export sdlxliff files without them subsequently causing problems when reimported into Studio.

Surely the DVX
... See more
File > Export > External View then the 'Format' heading, where sdlxliff isn't listed!!
I'm sure you're aware that sdlxliff is by no means compatible with xliff. SDL say it's standard xliff with some proprietary features added, which is why up to now no other CAT tools (as far as I'm aware) have been able to seamlessly import then export sdlxliff files without them subsequently causing problems when reimported into Studio.

Surely the DVX2 professional that you are can throw some light on this new feature?
Collapse

Stephen Schwanbeck
France
French to English
+ ...
External view Sep 16, 2013

wotswot wrote:

Surely the DVX2 professional that you are can throw some light on this new feature?

I'm a user of DVX2, not an Atril representative or a beta tester. I don't know all the ins and outs of DVX2 and I've never encountered this issue. My best advice would be to post your question on the DVX discussion list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/). It has nearly 2500 members. One of them may be able to help you.

Marius Reika
Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
English to Lithuanian
external view Sep 16, 2013

wotswot wrote:

If you want to export the file to its original format after translating, you DO NOT choose external view. You export through project explorer: go to View > Project explorer, right click the file and select > Export translated file.

External view is for editing, proofing, you can reimport the file back to deja vu afterwards with all the changes, but you MUST tick Include segment ID in Miscellaneous downstairs, otherwise good luck...

skaya
skaya  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
For those who still use Deja Vu X2 Apr 12, 2019

wotswot wrote:

I think people asking this question were/are doing the same mistake (including me).

You don't try to import the sdlxliff file into an existing Deja vu X2 project. Import options are limited.

Instead you need to choose the sdlxliff file as your source file while creating a project. After you're done translating, you can export it as sdlxliff too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu compatibility with .sdlxliff

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »