Thread poster: Stefan Hummel
Stefan Hummel
Stefan Hummel  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 12:47
English to German
Aug 19, 2011

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to Déjà Vu but so far I have been really satisfied. There is only one problem I cannot seem to resolve by myself. That is why I would like to ask for your help.

When I translate an *.xls document and there are blank lines in a cell, Déjà Vu just ignores them, which means that the target text does not include a blank line where the source text does. Since it is really tedious to insert all those empty lines manually, I wanted to as
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to Déjà Vu but so far I have been really satisfied. There is only one problem I cannot seem to resolve by myself. That is why I would like to ask for your help.

When I translate an *.xls document and there are blank lines in a cell, Déjà Vu just ignores them, which means that the target text does not include a blank line where the source text does. Since it is really tedious to insert all those empty lines manually, I wanted to ask whether anyone knows what to do about this.
I would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:47
English to Turkish
+ ...
I cannot reproduce it Aug 19, 2011

Hi Stefan,

Just tested it with xls and xlsx files using both DVX and DVX2, blank lines were also exported.

Can you give more details please, which version of DVX you are using (DVX1 or DVX2), filter used to import xls file.

Stefan Hummel
Austria
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
More information Aug 19, 2011

Hello Selcuk Akyuz,

thank you for your quick response.

That seems really strange to me. I am using Déjà Vu X2 (Version 8.0.480) and I did not change any settings concerning filters.
In the "filter options" section, it just says "xls - Microsoft Excel". The third tab is empty for some reason. For instance, in another row it says "doc - Microsoft Word - Nicht übersetzbare Notizen: + # @ A" (meaning "untranslatable notes"...). Do you think anything is missing the
... See more
Hello Selcuk Akyuz,

thank you for your quick response.

That seems really strange to me. I am using Déjà Vu X2 (Version 8.0.480) and I did not change any settings concerning filters.
In the "filter options" section, it just says "xls - Microsoft Excel". The third tab is empty for some reason. For instance, in another row it says "doc - Microsoft Word - Nicht übersetzbare Notizen: + # @ A" (meaning "untranslatable notes"...). Do you think anything is missing there?

Many thanks again for your help,
Stefan
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Latest build Aug 19, 2011

Nothing wrong with your filter settings, but perhaps it is bug in build 480. FWIW, latest build is 486, please upgrade and test it again.

Stefan Hummel
Austria
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Aug 22, 2011

Hello Selcuk Akyuz,

Again, thank you for your help.
I have now downloaded and installed the very latest build and tried again. However, it is still not working. Déjà Vu keeps ignoring the blank lines.
Do you maybe have any more ideas what could be wrong?
Many thanks in advance.

Yours,
Stefan

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
you can send the files Aug 22, 2011

Stefan,

I will try to find out what is going wrong if you can send the excel file and your DVX project file.

Stefan Hummel
Austria
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately I can't Aug 22, 2011

Dear Selcuk Akyuz,

that's really kind. Thank you!
Unfortunately I signed a non-disclosure agreement and therefore there is no way I could send my files to you (or anyone else). But thank you again for the offer.
Please let me know if you have any more idead.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Atril Support Aug 22, 2011

Then please contact Atril Support if you believe it is a bug (though I couldn't reproduce it).

Selcuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blank lines in *.xls files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »