Advanced Leveraging
Thread poster: Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
Local time: 22:21
Aug 6, 2009

I read a report that says that DV has Advanced Leveraging (sub-segment matching) capabilities.
Does anyone have information/instructions how this works with DV ?

thanks!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:21
French to Polish
+ ...
Training... Aug 6, 2009

Derrick Healy wrote:

I read a report that says that DV has Advanced Leveraging (sub-segment matching) capabilities.
Does anyone have information/instructions how this works with DV ?

Not exactly.
DVX has not AL capabilities out of the box but some internal algorithms can emulate it very closely.

1) you can leverage TM matches as portions, it works rather well.
Enable AutoAssembly an forgot

2) you can use a statistical project map (aka Lexicon) but you must resolve it yourself, it works as a charm if your source language is not heavily inflected.
After some projects it's a killah.
But you must think as a linguist

PS.
I use a rather low matching %, normally 45-60, it's very efficient but you must to "train" your terminology data bases.
I.e., when the DB suggestions are stupid, you should immediately enter new ones.
After some iterations it's a mortal weapon.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-08-06 22:15 GMT]

Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
TOPIC STARTER
Assemble Oct 2, 2009

I don't see any option for Auto Assembly (DV X Workgroup 7.5.303) - I do see the option to Assemble from portions under Pre-translate. Is this Auto Assembly ?

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where assembly is useful - What are the advantages of Assembly for the translator and for the client ?

Is there a risk that it will actually slow the translator down ?

Is there a risk of lesser quality?

How are assembled words priced - low fuzzy ?... See more
I don't see any option for Auto Assembly (DV X Workgroup 7.5.303) - I do see the option to Assemble from portions under Pre-translate. Is this Auto Assembly ?

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where assembly is useful - What are the advantages of Assembly for the translator and for the client ?

How are assembled words priced - low fuzzy ?

Sorry for all the questions - thanks!!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:21
French to Polish
+ ...
Options Oct 3, 2009

Derrick Healy wrote:

It's one of the aspects if AutoAssemble.
If you want to enable it in the interactive work, go to Tools > Options > Environment > and enable AutoAssemble on Ctrl + ArrowDown (I enable also AutoSend).
BTW.
I enable too all the AutoSearch options except Hide embedded codes and Hide column headers.

I dont think it has a direct impact for the client (if the translator is incompetent, the tool doesn't matter).
For the translator, it's a big speed up but you should feed the terminology databases as you translate.
It's crucial.
In order to add terms, use F11 and Shift+F11 shortcuts

I don't think so.
IMHO it's just the contrary.
You should use Ctr+Shift+B/N in order to move words (or selection) backward/forwards instead of rewrite 'em in the correct places.

If you don't pay attention, yes.
This feature is damn rapid, if you're in hurry, you can miss something.
E.g., in Trados, you're forced to type/insert words manually, in DVX it's automated and you may get too lazy...

How are assembled words priced - low fuzzy ?

The assembled words are priced as no match but in fact, it works as low fuzzy.
If you have good and large termbases, the quality may be similar to good fuzzy matches.

Cheers
GG

Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
TOPIC STARTER
Assemble Vs EBMT Oct 8, 2009

Thanks for the info..

What is the difference betwen Assemble and EBMT in DV X and how do you run EBMT ?

Also why do you enable Autosend and Autosearch ?

thanks again

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
EBMT = Assemble Oct 8, 2009

As far as I know and understand, EMBT is the technology DVX uses to assemble segments from portions, so there is no difference between them.

Autosend: In contrary to some other tools, in DVX you have the choice of whether or not to send the sentence to the translation memory.
Autosearch: Searches the segment as soon as you get to it and displays the portions in the appropriate window. You may deactivate this to speed up DVX on slower machines.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced Leveraging

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »