Is it posible to export an unclean Trados file after translating in DVX?
Thread poster: GabrielaRoman
GabrielaRoman
GabrielaRoman
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
English to Romanian
Mar 24, 2009

Hi,

I have a DejaVuX project and the client wants a Trados set of clean, unclean and TM files. I can export the TM with no problem but I'm having difficulties in recreating the Trados unclean file. Is it even possible or do I need to go through a manual process of opening the source document, segmenting it and translating it using the TM from DVX? I'd rather avoid that path as the segmentation is not always the same (unless i take care and define the same rules I guess).

... See more
Hi,

I have a DejaVuX project and the client wants a Trados set of clean, unclean and TM files. I can export the TM with no problem but I'm having difficulties in recreating the Trados unclean file. Is it even possible or do I need to go through a manual process of opening the source document, segmenting it and translating it using the TM from DVX? I'd rather avoid that path as the segmentation is not always the same (unless i take care and define the same rules I guess).

I tried to export to extrnal view and to use the "Trados RTF" format but -- even though I can open it in Trados TagEditor as Workbench RTF -- the file does not have any formatting information.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:23
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Yep. Mar 24, 2009

Kevin's article tells you everything you need to know: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1610/

GabrielaRoman
GabrielaRoman
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 24, 2009

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that ... unfortunately, I hadn't imported the source file in Trados first in order to obtain a ttx. The source file (an .rtf) was imported in DVX and the segmentation was done in DVX as well (i'm not even mentioning the amount of joined/split lines along the way).

Is there anything I can do to quickly get a clean and unclean pair of files from the above into Trados? Can the external view exported "Trados RTF" help me in an
... See more
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that ... unfortunately, I hadn't imported the source file in Trados first in order to obtain a ttx. The source file (an .rtf) was imported in DVX and the segmentation was done in DVX as well (i'm not even mentioning the amount of joined/split lines along the way).

Is there anything I can do to quickly get a clean and unclean pair of files from the above into Trados? Can the external view exported "Trados RTF" help me in any way?

I was thinking of using WinAlign on the source .rtf and the target .rtf (exported by DVX) and build the ttx in that manner. To me it sounds like less hassle than translating the source .rtf in Trados using the exported translation memory (since segmentation was done in DVX, a lot of lines were joined/split etc.).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it posible to export an unclean Trados file after translating in DVX?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »