Ghost writing
Thread poster: Kay Denney
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:43
French to English
Mar 2, 2018

Not sure if I'm in the right section, or even if there is a right section for this?

Anyway, a very good client of mine asked me recently if I could proofread a book she's writing directly in English. Her English is very good so I agreed readily. Now it turns out that she's suffering from writer's block (it's her second book, so par for the course apparently). She said she is able to talk about the subject very well, it's just putting it in writing that doesn't work. So she's asked
... See more
Not sure if I'm in the right section, or even if there is a right section for this?

Anyway, a very good client of mine asked me recently if I could proofread a book she's writing directly in English. Her English is very good so I agreed readily. Now it turns out that she's suffering from writer's block (it's her second book, so par for the course apparently). She said she is able to talk about the subject very well, it's just putting it in writing that doesn't work. So she's asked me to ghost-write it for her. We would meet for a half-day where she would talk about a chapter, I would record her then sort the material out and write the chapter.

Of course I would have to bill for my time rather than per word, but does anybody have any idea how it works usually? Apparently publishers will sometimes pay upfront but a quick search on Internet doesn't give any clue as to rates...

TIA for your ideas!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ghost writing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »