Transcreation rates
Thread poster: Chuburna
Chuburna
Chuburna
Poland
Local time: 16:55
English to Polish
Apr 24, 2013

I was recently asked by a client of mine about the transcreation rates. I did few transcreations and editings for him but I did not have the established rates except for the hourly rate but I was always happy with what they proposed me for the particular job.
Now they want my rates for different kinds of jobs and I am not sure what rates should I propose (they are my only "transcreation client", so I can not really tell).

And my question for the colleagues who work in transcre
... See more
I was recently asked by a client of mine about the transcreation rates. I did few transcreations and editings for him but I did not have the established rates except for the hourly rate but I was always happy with what they proposed me for the particular job.
Now they want my rates for different kinds of jobs and I am not sure what rates should I propose (they are my only "transcreation client", so I can not really tell).

And my question for the colleagues who work in transcreation: Do you have established rates for transcreation of 20" or 60" videos? What is the normal speed? Or how can I tell the rate for the standard print ad if it can have different amount of words - or does "the standard print ad" mean a certain/approximate amount of words?

They actually proposed me the following:

60" TVC: 58 EUR
30" TVC: 30 EUR
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Please tell us about your situation Apr 24, 2013

It would be really helpful to know more about you, perhaps through your profile. The details that you're asked for there, such as country, language pair(s), experience... are all very relevant to giving advice on this type of question.

Oops: edited to correct the grammar!

[Edited at 2013-04-24 12:05 GMT]

Chuburna
Chuburna
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
The second part of my post Apr 24, 2013

This is the second part of the rates proposed:

20" TVC: 23 EUR
Standard print ad: 30 EUR
Headline: 15 EUR
Bodycopy: 15 EUR
Rates for editing usually 50% of transcreation rates.

Do you think is it ok or too low?

This is in the English-Polish pair and the client is an English agency.

Thanks for your input.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Specific rates for vaguely-defined services - beware! Apr 24, 2013

I'm afraid I'm in the dark here as I don't understand half the terms you use. Hopefully someone who does understand will post. But the video rates seem low - doesn't doing anything with video take quite a lot of time? How long would these jobs take you? That's the only way to decide whether the rate is a valid one.

As for the print rates, they're being very specific about what they pay - and very vague about the amount of work. Personally, that would make me very uneasy. I would at
... See more
I'm afraid I'm in the dark here as I don't understand half the terms you use. Hopefully someone who does understand will post. But the video rates seem low - doesn't doing anything with video take quite a lot of time? How long would these jobs take you? That's the only way to decide whether the rate is a valid one.

As for the print rates, they're being very specific about what they pay - and very vague about the amount of work. Personally, that would make me very uneasy. I would at least want a lot more information from them if I wasn't sure. I know you won't want to look like an ignorant beginner, but you don't want to get paid peanuts, either. In any case, it's your right to name your rate - you're the one selling the service. You can at the very least negotiate, rather than just accepting their rates.

Anyone out there with some specific knowledge???
Collapse

dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
:( Apr 24, 2013

Chuburna wrote:

This is the second part of the rates proposed:

20" TVC: 23 EUR
Standard print ad: 30 EUR
Headline: 15 EUR
Bodycopy: 15 EUR
Rates for editing usually 50% of transcreation rates.

Do you think is it ok or too low?

Hi Chuburna,

I believe the rates they proposed are low -- even more so considering you'll probably have to provide a couple of alternatives + backtranslation + comments & rationale, which takes time indeed (not to mention creativity!).

Claudia

Chuburna
Chuburna
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 24, 2013

very specific about what they pay - and very vague about the amount of work

Yes, that is what I was afraid too. I would love to be paid per hour but in my experience agencies don't like that. It's very vague for them and they are not able to check it, that I was told from another client when trying to negotiate the rate for editing not very well translated text.

How do you charge for these kinds of work then? By piece of work? or by the time?

[Edited at 2013-04-24 19:56 GMT]

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:55
English to Russian
+ ...
way too low Apr 24, 2013

The rates for TVCs are laughable. They must have forgotten you will need to watch a video over and over again to spot subtle changes in tone, attitude etc. Plus, as Claudia said, you will have to provide a back-translation, rationale etc. Reading and understanding a creative brief is also a part of the game.

The most important thing is that you rate should reflect the value a customer will get from you service. If they want to skyrocket their sales, why the transcreation should be c
... See more
The rates for TVCs are laughable. They must have forgotten you will need to watch a video over and over again to spot subtle changes in tone, attitude etc. Plus, as Claudia said, you will have to provide a back-translation, rationale etc. Reading and understanding a creative brief is also a part of the game.

The most important thing is that you rate should reflect the value a customer will get from you service. If they want to skyrocket their sales, why the transcreation should be cheap? No pain, no gain.

To give you an idea: transcreating a 500 worder (+ back-translation; no headlines) - not a TVC by the way - may cost up to EUR 120.

HTH

[Edited at 2013-04-24 21:00 GMT]
Collapse

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:55
English to Russian
+ ...
flat fee Apr 25, 2013

Chuburna wrote:

very specific about what they pay - and very vague about the amount of work

Yes, that is what I was afraid too. I would love to be paid per hour but in my experience agencies don't like that. It's very vague for them and they are not able to check it, that I was told from another client when trying to negotiate the rate for editing not very well translated text.

How do you charge for these kinds of work then? By piece of work? or by the time?

[Edited at 2013-04-24 19:56 GMT]

Calculating a flat fee would be an ideal way forward, IMO.

MARKETA N
MARKETA N
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Transcreation rates in the UK May 22, 2013

Hi all
Thank you for comments about the business of transcreation, I am now quoting for TVC ''30 and I am still not sure what would be the fair price?

Is TVC 30'' for GBP 300 about right? It seems a lot, but that's what comes out of my research. Thank you for your help, x.

As for the decline of interpreting profession here in the UK, I refuse to work for peanuts.

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Things to consider May 22, 2013

MARKETA N wrote:

Hi all
Thank you for comments about the business of transcreation, I am now quoting for TVC ''30 and I am still not sure what would be the fair price?

Is TVC 30'' for GBP 300 about right? It seems a lot, but that's what comes out of my research. Thank you for your help, x.

As for the decline of interpreting profession here in the UK, I refuse to work for peanuts.

Without seeing the actual script, it's impossibile for me to say if GBP 300 is fair or not.

I can only ask some questions that I believe play a role when it comes to fees:
- is your client a direct client, an advertising agency or a translation agency?
- how many rounds of revision are expected?
- how long/difficult is the script?
- does the script only contain voiceover lines (= the commercial has been shot and you can watch it) OR voiceover lines + narrative (= the commercial hasn't been shot yet and you have to imagine it)?
- how important is the brand and this particular campaign?
- does the client expect you to provide at least two versions for each line + backtranslation + comments and rationale? Or just one version?

It may sound confusing... but these are the questions you should ask yourself/your client before quoting, in my opinion.

Claudia

John Moorosi

MARKETA N
MARKETA N
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
details for transcreation quotes May 28, 2013

Hi Claudia,
Thank you for your reply.
Here are some more details to help estimate the cost
- is your client a direct client, an advertising agency or a translation agency? TRANSCREATION AGENCY
- how many rounds of revision are expected? NOT SURE, SEVERAL TO GET IT PERFECT
- how long/difficult is the script? NOT IDFFICULT
- does the script only contain voiceover lines (= the commercial has been shot and you can watch it) OR voiceover lines + narrative (= the
... See more
Hi Claudia,
Thank you for your reply.
Here are some more details to help estimate the cost
- is your client a direct client, an advertising agency or a translation agency? TRANSCREATION AGENCY
- how many rounds of revision are expected? NOT SURE, SEVERAL TO GET IT PERFECT
- how long/difficult is the script? NOT IDFFICULT
- does the script only contain voiceover lines (= the commercial has been shot and you can watch it) OR voiceover lines + narrative (= the commercial hasn't been shot yet and you have to imagine it) ? IT IS A FINISHED VO
- how important is the brand and this particular campaign? A WELL KNOWN BRAND
- does the client expect you to provide at least two versions for each line + backtranslation + comments and rationale? Or just one version? TWO VERSIONS AND THE BACKTRANSLATION USUALLY

ALSO, WOULD YOU SAY CHARGING A HALF OF TRANSCREATION RATE FOR PROOFREADING IS ABOUT RIGHT? Many thanks for your advice.
Collapse

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Some ideas May 29, 2013

Hi Marketa,

For transcreation, I'd suggest 1/3 of your proposed fee.
For proofreading, I see it's quite common to charge 1/4 of the transcreation rate, although in some cases -- when you basically have to put a patch on bad work, which takes time indeed -- such rate is on the low side (but of course you never know until you actually receive the adaptation to be proofread ).

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcreation rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »