Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Raise the flag I'd say Sep 2, 2011

Adsion Liu wrote:

Sherwin Zhou wrote:

kenny2006woo wrote:

前几天在建行兑了几百美元,给的汇率是6.3665。人民币升值速度太快了!

散了很多网,今天搜上来一条小虾米;一家公司说他们“For Chinese, .03cents/per word” ,问俺是不是接受。前面的“For Chinese”也不知道是理解成“对汉语的报价”还是“给中国人”的报价。人民币不断升值、国外客户的报价却和国内没有什么区别。我还看到一家公司的网站上明确写着“Chinese”只接受0.03 usd的报价。

[修改时间: 2011-09-02 11:36 GMT]

真的不能惯着这帮欺负国人劳力便宜的所谓“外国客户”。如果他们的“For Chinese, .03cents/per word” 后面再加个“Only”之类的话,都可以告他们歧视了!所以,希望各位同仁趁人民币升值之际把自己的翻译报价提上去,个人感觉提 2 分真的都不算多的。大家可以参考一下 ProZ 上的总体价格统计数字。

诚如楼上一同仁所言,通货膨胀哪儿都有,只是像中国那样的“跃进”步伐实属少有。物价在涨,译价不涨反跌的局面,实在是让人难以看得下去了!

[Editado a las 2011-09-02 13:08 GMT]

Obviously, there has to be a ton of effort from veterans such as yourself to raise the red flag in forums etc, on proz, in regards to the prices.

I find it baffling that people can't seem to see the link between 1. everyone raises their rates and 2. everyone eventually makes more. But I guess it's rude of me to just say "raise 'em", while knowing that some people in the field would be happy to settle for a 0.03 price, as long as they have work coming.

I myself have had encountered numerous health problems, not necessarily related to translation work, but definitely aggravated by the work. I've recently had a muscle spasm on my right shoulder which was apparently the direct result of moving the mouse too excessively (haha). Physiotherapy and acunpuncture sessions alone cost at least $50 per half hour. At a 0.03 rate, I might slave away at a $25 hour wage and would that make up for the pain and discomfort and price I have to pay? HECK no.

I would imagine that many translators charging this rate just because of a forum post here or there, but it truly is a shame that people are not seeing their skill's true worth, in the sense that they are not turning the tables around for their own benefit....

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
确实如此 Sep 2, 2011

Rita Pang wrote:

I would imagine that many translators charging this rate just because of a forum post here or there, but it truly is a shame that people are not seeing their skill's true worth, in the sense that they are not turning the tables around for their own benefit....

甚至还有人在论坛上主动标价 $0.01/word 以招揽客户。古训道:“天作孽,犹可违;自作孽,不可逭”。

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
低价就在那里,赶不跑、驱不走。 Sep 3, 2011

辛劳始终相伴, 曙光遥不可及,偶有流星划过,切莫当作救星。在这个随便找个工作都有数十万至百万潜力的社会,丛译友赶紧放下译笔回头是岸。珍惜生命,远离翻译。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 08:25
那你得以身作则 Sep 3, 2011

Donglai Lou wrote:

辛劳始终相伴, 曙光遥不可及,偶有流星划过,切莫当作救星。在这个随便找个工作都有数十万至百万潜力的社会,丛译友赶紧放下译笔回头是岸。珍惜生命,远离翻译。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 08:25
俄罗斯 Sep 3, 2011

Adsion Liu wrote:

“For Chinese, .03cents/per word” 这太不可思议了!!我只能说,我在网上投标的价格都比这个高得多得多,请得起爷就请,请不起爷,爷就做别的。正好准备改行呢!翻译是很累人很辛苦的活儿,如果没有同类人群的平均收入水平真的不太值,长期坐在电脑前瞅屏幕会产生好多健康问题.....

有个俄罗斯的翻译给译社报价,译社反馈说:

Your price is too high for someone living in Russia...

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
珍惜翻译,远离东来 Sep 3, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

那你得以身作则

素质不佳,相貌太差,经历肤浅,没人要啦。劝年轻观望者,速速另觅奚径,别来译狱,受尽折磨,难以超生。

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
我不想说 Sep 3, 2011

Adsion Liu wrote:

“For Chinese, .03cents/per word” 这太不可思议了!!我只能说,我在网上投标的价格都比这个高得多得多,请得起爷就请,请不起爷,爷就做别的。正好准备改行呢!翻译是很累人很辛苦的活儿,如果没有同类人群的平均收入水平真的不太值,长期坐在电脑前瞅屏幕会产生好多健康问题.....

Adsion 兄发飙了!呵~

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
。。。。 Sep 3, 2011

Donglai Lou wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

那你得以身作则

素质不佳,相貌太差,经历肤浅,没人要啦。劝年轻观望者,速速另觅奚径,别来译狱,受尽折磨,难以超生。

。。。。。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
For translators in Canada Sep 3, 2011

For your reference, this is an article published in the ATA Chronicle in October 2010. So, don’t be too pessimistic.

Translation in Canada
http://www.anglocom.com/documents/lectures/Translation_in_Canada.pdf
These demographic realities have made Canada a worldwide leader in translation. Although it has only 0.5% of the world population, it occupies fully 10% of the global translation market.

You can also look for job opportunities in the U.S. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Employment of interpreters and translators is projected to increase 22 percent over the 2008–18 decade, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. Higher demand for interpreters and translators results directly from the broadening of international ties and the large increases in the number of non-English speaking people in the United States".

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Work at a more leisurely pace Sep 3, 2011

Rita Pang wrote:

I myself have had encountered numerous health problems, not necessarily related to translation work, but definitely aggravated by the work. I've recently had a muscle spasm on my right shoulder which was apparently the direct result of moving the mouse too excessively (haha). Physiotherapy and acunpuncture sessions alone cost at least $50 per half hour.

I would suggest creating a better working environment for yourself. For example, you could hook up your computer to a high-def flat screen TV. Doing work from a couch ought to be a lot more comfortable than hunching over a desk for long periods of time.

It might slow you down a little bit, but it's definitely better than ruining your health.

I remember redred once mentioning in this forum firsthand knowledge of an editor dying in his prime due to being overworked. It's definitely not worth it.

~*~*~*~*~*

p.s. Tried to look for redred's original post that mentioned the death of that editor, but wasn't successful, although I did find one of traiston's old posts that told a similar tragic story ...

http://www.proz.com/post/1525504#1525504

过去的中文发言还是不容易查找。

[Edited at 2011-09-03 18:35 GMT]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Google Sep 3, 2011

我觉得ProZ的搜索功能不太好用。我还是喜欢在Google上搜:关键词 + proz + 发帖人的ID(如果记得)。

wherestip wrote:

过去的中文发言还是不容易查找。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Search Engines Sep 4, 2011

Zhoudan wrote:

我觉得ProZ的搜索功能不太好用。我还是喜欢在Google上搜:关键词 + proz + 发帖人的ID(如果记得)。

wherestip wrote:

过去的中文发言还是不容易查找。

Thanks, Zhoudan.

I did use Google, and did exactly what you've suggested. My problem was I couldn't recall any keywords or phrases that redred used in that particular posting of hers.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't search for any Chinese characters using the site's search utility. As for English word searches, I'm usually pretty successful with it.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
肩膀上的毛病也可能是颈椎引起的 Sep 4, 2011

我换了枕头,肩膀和手臂的疼痛就逐渐消失了。我原先一直以为是整天用鼠标的缘故。
Rita Pang wrote:

I myself have had encountered numerous health problems, not necessarily related to translation work, but definitely aggravated by the work. I've recently had a muscle spasm on my right shoulder which was apparently the direct result of moving the mouse too excessively (haha).

clairejie
clairejie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:25
French to Chinese
+ ...
碰到过类似情况 Sep 4, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

Adsion Liu wrote:

有个俄罗斯的翻译给译社报价,译社反馈说:

Your price is too high for someone living in Russia...

原先有个法国个人客户,合作了半年左右,一直还算愉快。
他跑到中国去几个星期后,给我写了封邮件要我降价,说是我的报价是国内翻译的三倍。
这“入乡随俗”还真是让人无语......
后来也就再没合作了。

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
你的客户还不错 Sep 4, 2011

Jie LIU wrote:

原先有个法国个人客户,合作了半年左右,一直还算愉快。
他跑到中国去几个星期后,给我写了封邮件要我降价,说是我的报价是国内翻译的三倍。
这“入乡随俗”还真是让人无语......
后来也就再没合作了。

至少还有与你合作的意愿。有些客户就会从此毫无音讯。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

直面人民币升值——你准备好了吗?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »