\"Protein Girl\": Translation of rhyming conversation...
Thread poster: liberation
liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Dec 29, 2002

Just for fun. Take a look at my latest translation of an excerpt from a popular contemporary Chinese novel. This one is from the best-seller (in China, at least) by 王文华:《蛋白质女孩》:

http://www.cn-trans.com/cm-154.htm

I don\'t claim this is great literature (or a great translation!), but hopefully it will amuse...
[addsig]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well done! Dec 30, 2002

I\'ve read your translation. Well done! Thank you for sharing!

Zhou Dan

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
.... Dec 30, 2002

言之有理,颇有同感。

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 10:30, Zhoudan wrote:

I\'ve read your translation. Well done! Thank you for sharing!

Zhou Dan

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:57
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good job, Bruce! Jan 2, 2003

I finally got time and read it through. The writing style is amusing and reminds me RAP Music. Bruce, you did a very good job to reflect the author\'s style! I can imagine the challenge that you had in conveying such a style.

Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Local time: 06:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
不错!我也来搀和搀和。 Jan 12, 2003

\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"我不需要镇定剂,我需要爱情。过去 30 多年我活得像木乃伊,早上睁开眼就开始盘算如何逃避。安娜苏让我觉得爱情不在遥不可及,爱可以像自来水,打开龙头就源源不绝。\"

\"You\'ve stepped into a mid-life crisis too early, you need some pills for your tranquility\"

\"I don\'t need tranquility, I need love and inti
... See more
\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"我不需要镇定剂,我需要爱情。过去 30 多年我活得像木乃伊,早上睁开眼就开始盘算如何逃避。安娜苏让我觉得爱情不在遥不可及,爱可以像自来水,打开龙头就源源不绝。\"

\"You\'ve stepped into a mid-life crisis too early, you need some pills for your tranquility\"

\"I don\'t need tranquility, I need love and intimacy. The last 30 years I\'ve been living like a mummy, the first thing in the morning is figure out how to get away. Anna Sue makes me feel love is not so far and dreamy: love can be like tap water which, once streams, never ceases.\"

Have fun, guys.
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just a suggestion. Jan 12, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-12 16:22, Y_Bill wrote:

\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"You\'ve stepped into a mid-life ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-12 16:22, Y_Bill wrote:

\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"I don\'t need tranquility, I need love and intimacy. The last 30 years I\'ve been living like a mummy, the first thing in the morning is figure out how to get away. Anna Sue makes me feel love is not so far and dreamy: love can be like tap water which, once streams, never ceases.\"

Have fun, guys.

Bill,

Nice job. Here come my suggestions:

1. ...早上睁开眼就开始盘算如何逃避=after I wake up in the morning the first thing in mind is to figure out how to flee from the reality.

2.爱可以像自来水,打开龙头就源源不绝=love can be like tap water, once the faucet is turned on, it runs like a non-stop stream.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-12 23:33] ▲ Collapse

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
自来水? Jan 13, 2003

爱如果象自来水,那可真叫方便。要来就来,要停就停。这种“自来水主义”,比起几十年前的“杯水主义”进化多了。可是,恐怕“包二奶”也没有这么方便,只有去“找小姐”了。

Bruce 的翻译挺好,只是没有领会“自来水”的真意。以本人之浅见,“自来水”的妙处不在于“源源不断”。因为真正源源不断的是长江黄河。“我在江之头,君在江之尾”、“所�
... See more
爱如果象自来水,那可真叫方便。要来就来,要停就停。这种“自来水主义”,比起几十年前的“杯水主义”进化多了。可是,恐怕“包二奶”也没有这么方便,只有去“找小姐”了。

Bruce 的翻译挺好,只是没有领会“自来水”的真意。以本人之浅见,“自来水”的妙处不在于“源源不断”。因为真正源源不断的是长江黄河。“我在江之头,君在江之尾”、“所为伊人,在水一方”,是以水之源源不绝,比喻爱之久远深长。但“溯洄从之,道阻且长”,实在不太方便。而“自来水”的好处在于“随时要,随时有”,而且“立时可止”。这层意思藏在字缝里,实在不好翻译出来。不知各位仁兄有何高见?

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-13 00:10]

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-13 00:19]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-13 00:22]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Protein Girl\": Translation of rhyming conversation...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »