https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/7339-%22protein_girl_%22_translation_of_rhyming_conversation.html&phpv_redirected=1

\"Protein Girl\": Translation of rhyming conversation...
Thread poster: liberation
liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Dec 29, 2002

Just for fun. Take a look at my latest translation of an excerpt from a popular contemporary Chinese novel. This one is from the best-seller (in China, at least) by 王文华:《蛋白质女孩》:

http://www.cn-trans.com/cm-154.htm

I don\'t claim this is great literature (or a great translation!), but hopefully it will amuse...
[addsig]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well done! Dec 30, 2002

I\'ve read your translation. Well done! Thank you for sharing!

Zhou Dan

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
.... Dec 30, 2002

言之有理,颇有同感。

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 10:30, Zhoudan wrote:

I\'ve read your translation. Well done! Thank you for sharing!

Zhou Dan

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good job, Bruce! Jan 2, 2003

I finally got time and read it through. The writing style is amusing and reminds me RAP Music. Bruce, you did a very good job to reflect the author\'s style! I can imagine the challenge that you had in conveying such a style.

Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Local time: 03:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
不错!我也来搀和搀和。 Jan 12, 2003

\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"我不需要镇定剂,我需要爱情。过去 30 多年我活得像木乃伊,早上睁开眼就开始盘算如何逃避。安娜苏让我觉得爱情不在遥不可及,爱可以像自来水,打开龙头就源源不绝。\"

\"You\'ve stepped into a mid-life crisis too early, you need some pills for your tranquility\"

\"I don\'t need tranquility, I need love and inti
... See more
\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"我不需要镇定剂,我需要爱情。过去 30 多年我活得像木乃伊,早上睁开眼就开始盘算如何逃避。安娜苏让我觉得爱情不在遥不可及,爱可以像自来水,打开龙头就源源不绝。\"

\"You\'ve stepped into a mid-life crisis too early, you need some pills for your tranquility\"

\"I don\'t need tranquility, I need love and intimacy. The last 30 years I\'ve been living like a mummy, the first thing in the morning is figure out how to get away. Anna Sue makes me feel love is not so far and dreamy: love can be like tap water which, once streams, never ceases.\"

Have fun, guys.
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just a suggestion. Jan 12, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-12 16:22, Y_Bill wrote:

\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"You\'ve stepped into a mid-life ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-12 16:22, Y_Bill wrote:

\"你提前进入中年危机,你需要吃镇定剂。\"

\"I don\'t need tranquility, I need love and intimacy. The last 30 years I\'ve been living like a mummy, the first thing in the morning is figure out how to get away. Anna Sue makes me feel love is not so far and dreamy: love can be like tap water which, once streams, never ceases.\"

Have fun, guys.

Bill,

Nice job. Here come my suggestions:

1. ...早上睁开眼就开始盘算如何逃避=after I wake up in the morning the first thing in mind is to figure out how to flee from the reality.

2.爱可以像自来水,打开龙头就源源不绝=love can be like tap water, once the faucet is turned on, it runs like a non-stop stream.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-12 23:33] ▲ Collapse

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
自来水? Jan 13, 2003

爱如果象自来水,那可真叫方便。要来就来,要停就停。这种“自来水主义”,比起几十年前的“杯水主义”进化多了。可是,恐怕“包二奶”也没有这么方便,只有去“找小姐”了。

Bruce 的翻译挺好,只是没有领会“自来水”的真意。以本人之浅见,“自来水”的妙处不在于“源源不断”。因为真正源源不断的是长江黄河。“我在江之头,君在江之尾”、“所�
... See more
爱如果象自来水,那可真叫方便。要来就来,要停就停。这种“自来水主义”,比起几十年前的“杯水主义”进化多了。可是,恐怕“包二奶”也没有这么方便,只有去“找小姐”了。

Bruce 的翻译挺好,只是没有领会“自来水”的真意。以本人之浅见,“自来水”的妙处不在于“源源不断”。因为真正源源不断的是长江黄河。“我在江之头,君在江之尾”、“所为伊人,在水一方”,是以水之源源不绝,比喻爱之久远深长。但“溯洄从之,道阻且长”,实在不太方便。而“自来水”的好处在于“随时要,随时有”,而且“立时可止”。这层意思藏在字缝里,实在不好翻译出来。不知各位仁兄有何高见?

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-13 00:10]

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-13 00:19]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-13 00:22]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Protein Girl\": Translation of rhyming conversation...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »