Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What the heck is\"blah,blah,blah...\"? Please help me to refresh my memory!!!
Thread poster: Chinoise
Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
妙! Jul 24, 2002

\"吧啦吧啦吧\":专为广大译友所开.价格嘛,全免!

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ҳ̸ Ba Lah Jul 25, 2002

In 闽南语, pronounciation of Ba Lah is: 番石榴, later, Taiwanese translated (in writing) as 芭乐. Also, there is another fruit they call: Len Buh (莲雾)

In idiom: Ba Lah, Len Buh

which means: 管它是 Ba Lah 还是 Len Buh, it\'s all the same.

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
串门子 Jul 25, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-07-22 02:32, BBW,linguist wrote:

Quote:
She said she bought a few tomatos at the store, saw two guys quarelling about something and took a bus home, blah, blah, blah.她说她今天在市场买了两斤西红柿,还看到两个人为一棵白菜在那儿砍价,回来的路上又修了自行车,这个那个的,说了半天。

Well you know, all these gossip.

The best occasion to apply The Art of Blah Blah Blah might be when 串门子

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
Bu Leng Jul 25, 2002

Quote:

Also, there is another fruit they call: Len Buh (莲雾)

在广州时,曾看到水果摊上卖很大的李子,名字叫“布[穴字头加个林字]”。不认识这个字,十分惭愧。问过朋友才知,这叫 “Bu Leng”。当时很纳闷,李子怎么叫“布楞[权且替代]”呢?后来到美国看到同样的李子,才恍然大悟。原来“不楞”== plum。顿时�... See more
Quote:

Also, there is another fruit they call: Len Buh (莲雾)

在广州时,曾看到水果摊上卖很大的李子,名字叫“布[穴字头加个林字]”。不认识这个字,十分惭愧。问过朋友才知,这叫 “Bu Leng”。当时很纳闷,李子怎么叫“布楞[权且替代]”呢?后来到美国看到同样的李子,才恍然大悟。原来“不楞”== plum。顿时又是一阵惭愧,做了这么多翻译,居然连这都猜不着。同时对广州人译音和造字的才能大为叹服。

Quote:

In idiom: Ba Lah, Len Buh

which means: 管它是 Ba Lah 还是 Len Buh, it\'s all the same.

这使我想起北方农村有句俗语:“一斗黑豆,黑豆一斗”。比喻人说话重三倒四,绕来绕去,了无新意。

Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
番石榴? Jul 26, 2002

Quote:
In 闽南语, pronounciation of Ba Lah is: 番石榴, later...

Is 闽南语 quite different from Putonghua? Are there many people in Taiwan speaking it?

Also, do you have any good Chinese websites to share with us? Please go to the other thread! XIEXIE!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-26 11:47 ]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
“不楞”== plum? Jul 26, 2002

Quote:
原来“不楞”== plum。顿时又是一阵惭愧,做了这么多翻译,居然连这都猜不着。同时对广州人译音和造字的才能大为叹服。

Interesting! Cantonese has enriched the Chinese vocabulary.In addition, please recommend some good Chinese websites in another thread to all of us. Xiexie!

P.S. 猕猴桃(kiwi)译成\"奇异果\"效果也颇好.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-26 11:49 ]

jerryk (X)
jerryk (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
blah, blah, blah can have a variety of meanings,all negative Jul 26, 2002

Basically, \"blah, blah, blah\" is the way we hear any kind of communication that we really don\'t want to listen to. It could be nonsense, boring and repetitive material, criticisms or comments that we find irritating or offensive, a subject that doesn\'t happen to interest us or even words in a language we don\'t understand. The point is, we substitute \"blah, blah, blah\" for what is said, because we don\'t like what we hear.

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Veuillez regarder (4) et (8)! Jul 26, 2002

Thanks for your input, Jerryk. But I still don\'t quite know how to put examples [4] and [8] in a negative way. Could you further elaborate upon its usage in these two cases?Xiexie!(This is sth. that cannot be found in the dictionary).

Additionally, if you happen to find any wonderful Chinese/English links which you think might be of help to us non-native English speakers, do remember to share them with us in the thread which I just posted. Merci!

[
... See more
Thanks for your input, Jerryk. But I still don\'t quite know how to put examples [4] and [8] in a negative way. Could you further elaborate upon its usage in these two cases?Xiexie!(This is sth. that cannot be found in the dictionary).

Additionally, if you happen to find any wonderful Chinese/English links which you think might be of help to us non-native English speakers, do remember to share them with us in the thread which I just posted. Merci!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-26 18:19 ]
Collapse

jerryk (X)
jerryk (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
examples (4) and (8); the exception proves the rule Jul 26, 2002

As you have noted, examples (4) and ( present \"blah, blah,blah\" in a somewhat positive light, the first in connection with the name of a cafe, the second as symbolic of good public speaking. Both uses are ironic, or humorously intended. Rather than have some strained or hackneyed name for the cafe, just call it the \"blah, blah, blah\" cafe -- substitute whatever you want for the name. Rather than harp on the beauties of good public speaking, s... See more
As you have noted, examples (4) and ( present \"blah, blah,blah\" in a somewhat positive light, the first in connection with the name of a cafe, the second as symbolic of good public speaking. Both uses are ironic, or humorously intended. Rather than have some strained or hackneyed name for the cafe, just call it the \"blah, blah, blah\" cafe -- substitute whatever you want for the name. Rather than harp on the beauties of good public speaking, summarize it as \"blah, blah, blah\", show you don\'t take it too seriously so as not to intimidate potential readers. In both cases, the intention is humorous, the humor coming from using the negative associations of the phrase \"blah, blah, blah\" in association with the enjoyment of a good cafe, or learning effective public speaking. The incongruity of the association is funny.Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
十分感谢! Jul 26, 2002

Your penetrating analysis has helped us end the topic on \"blah, blah, blah...\"with a forceful conclusion. As the old Chinese saying goes: \"听君一席话,胜读十年书\"(I profit more from one consultation with you than from ten years of reading.)自此,您在本论坛将贵为上宾! (Obviously, your excellent work has earned yourself a new \"project\" in our next thread! )

Respectfully,

BBW

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What the heck is\"blah,blah,blah...\"? Please help me to refresh my memory!!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »