Please try this new, fast and more powerful search engine!
Thread poster: Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 1, 2002

Hello, Fellow Translators!

I found this new search engine by watching news from a Taiwan TV channel. This new search engine is http://www.openfind.com. I immidiatly tested it, and found it is faster, and more findings reported than Google. I also noticed that OpenFind is very friendly to Chinese characters (both GB code and Big5 code), there is simply no character corruption at all. Please bookmark it, t
... See more

I found this new search engine by watching news from a Taiwan TV channel. This new search engine is http://www.openfind.com. I immidiatly tested it, and found it is faster, and more findings reported than Google. I also noticed that OpenFind is very friendly to Chinese characters (both GB code and Big5 code), there is simply no character corruption at all. Please bookmark it, test it, and tell me what you think about it. Again, the URL is http://www.openfind.com

Have Fun in Surfing!

Kevin

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-01 14:44 ]
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's hot today, but... Jul 1, 2002

This site is cool! I will definitely make good use of it!

Happy Canada Day to you all!

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happy Holiday, eh? ;-) Jul 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-01 23:24, BBW,linguist wrote:

Happy Holiday, eh? Any fireworks? I got a big sack of them here, all \"Made in China\". Hav... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-01 23:24, BBW,linguist wrote:

Happy Holiday, eh? Any fireworks? I got a big sack of them here, all \"Made in China\". Have you ever thought about this interesting phenomenon? American-made tobacco products are making such a tough sells here in the United State, so the tobacco companies all went to China and turned it around into a profitable business in China. It certainly helped to cover the loss in all these nasty law suits. Whereas the fireworks are banned by the Chinese Government in most cities in China, but are exported to America and sold so well like hot dogs in America. Don’t you supposed to give the best to your friend? I guess that rule does not apply to the international trading business.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-02 17:15 ]Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hotter than ever! Jul 3, 2002

\"It has been unbearably hot in the past two days\". Agree, neutral,or disagree,folks?

The temperature reached 36C in northeast Ontario and Quebec yesterday, and I was marvelled at my survival! (Yes, according to the famous singer Celine Dion, \"I know that I\'m alive\").

Needless to say, I don\'t like the commonly adopted way of translation for Celine\'s name in mainland China, which is \"席琳.迪翁\"�
... See more
\"It has been unbearably hot in the past two days\". Agree, neutral,or disagree,folks?

The temperature reached 36C in northeast Ontario and Quebec yesterday, and I was marvelled at my survival! (Yes, according to the famous singer Celine Dion, \"I know that I\'m alive\").

Needless to say, I don\'t like the commonly adopted way of translation for Celine\'s name in mainland China, which is \"席琳.迪翁\"。看上去象是老翁的名字,有伤大雅. 各位有何高见?Agree, neutral, or disagree?

真倒霉,from yesterday on, whenever I posted a KudoZ answer (or added notes), the text was doomed to be displayed on my dear old screen twice or three times in succession! Don\'t feel sick with me, dear colleagues, it\'s purely a technical problem (caused by myself? I guess not.)天热,电脑又作怪, 真是火上加油!

Peer graders, come out to help, S.V.P.!

Your kind help deserves much more than KudoZ points!

恐怕已经37度了,上帝...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-04 03:14 ]

Additionally, is there a solution for us to answer questions in both simplified and traditional Chinese without changing the font, i.e. when reading the answers, the readers don\'t need to change the font from time to time ? Moreover, ideally, would there be a possible way for all the major languages to be displayed simultaneously on the screen so as to make the askers/pros input whatever they think is relevant to the original questions on the ProZ.com page when asking or answering questions? Maybe this idea is too fantastic, but why not give it a try? Any ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-04 14:22 ]
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
It is very nice. Jul 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-01 14:42, Tongli wrote:

I found this new search engine by watching news from a Taiwan TV channel. This new search engine is http://www.openfind.com. I immidiatly tested it, and found it is faster, and more findings reported than Google. I also noticed that OpenFind is very friendly to Chinese... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-01 14:42, Tongli wrote:

I found this new search engine by watching news from a Taiwan TV channel. This new search engine is http://www.openfind.com. I immidiatly tested it, and found it is faster, and more findings reported than Google. I also noticed that OpenFind is very friendly to Chinese characters (both GB code and Big5 code), there is simply no character corruption at all. Please bookmark it, test it, and tell me what you think about it. Again, the URL is http://www.openfind.com

Have Fun in Surfing!

Kevin

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-01 14:44 ]

I checked this site out. It works fine. I will use it, too.

Happy surfing. ▲ Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
It depends. Jul 5, 2002

Quote:

Additionally, is there a solution for us to answer questions in both simplified and traditional Chinese without changing the font, i.e. when reading the answers, the readers don\'t need to change the font from time to time ? Moreover, ideally, would there be a possible way for all the major languages to be displayed simultaneously on the screen so as to make the askers/pros input whatever they think is relevant to the original quest... See more
Quote:

Additionally, is there a solution for us to answer questions in both simplified and traditional Chinese without changing the font, i.e. when reading the answers, the readers don\'t need to change the font from time to time ? Moreover, ideally, would there be a possible way for all the major languages to be displayed simultaneously on the screen so as to make the askers/pros input whatever they think is relevant to the original questions on the ProZ.com page when asking or answering questions? Maybe this idea is too fantastic, but why not give it a try? Any ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-04 14:22 ]

For several languages to be displayed simultaneously on one page, you usually need to specify some HTML metatag at the beginning of the page. In my Chinese FAQ page, I specified the following:

META http-equiv=Content-Type content=\"text/html; charset=GB2312\">

META http-equiv=Content-Type content=\"text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\">

META http-equiv=Content-Type content=\"text/html; charset=Shift_JIS\">

META http-equiv=Content-Type content=\"text/html; charset=Big5\">

Therefore, if the viewer\'s browser is set to support these encoding, the text (简体和繁体以及拼音) can be displayed concurrently.

However, KudoZ is for every language and the materials are mostly derived from database files. They do not specify any particular language encoding in the page. Therefore, the display is completely determined by the setting of your browser, which is usually defaulted to a particular language encoding.

That is why you have to change the encoding to display things correctly.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-05 18:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-05 18:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-05 18:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-05 18:40 ]Collapse

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
Encode vs Decode Jul 6, 2002

Dear Mr. Bin Li,

I made several comments on your suggestion in KudoZ, also received your email. I respond it, but, not sure you receive my return mail or not.

What a wonderful world it would be, if we all can speak in the same tone, with same tongue.

I do believe, it is possible to auto change (auto-detect) fonts of GB & Big 5, since as long as the author won\'t mind to (subscribe) inbed 2 or more fonts in their HTML pages. In fact,
... See more
Dear Mr. Bin Li,

I made several comments on your suggestion in KudoZ, also received your email. I respond it, but, not sure you receive my return mail or not.

What a wonderful world it would be, if we all can speak in the same tone, with same tongue.

I do believe, it is possible to auto change (auto-detect) fonts of GB & Big 5, since as long as the author won\'t mind to (subscribe) inbed 2 or more fonts in their HTML pages. In fact, it\'s as simple as ABC or 123 (ie: most of HTML pages can tell what browser we are using, Netscape or IE and what version).

With regard to display multi-languages on the same page simultaneously, I personally would yield away from this idea since, my screen is not big enough to accomodate all languages (even major languages 5?) and I might feel it quite annoying.

I have expressed my admiration toward your enthusiasm in helping peers, wish I can be benefited from your wisdom from time to time.

Collapse

liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Chinese authorities interfering with this search engine too! Sep 12, 2002

I reported earlier that we here in China can no longer access www.google.com. I note this has now been reported in major western media like the New York Times (though we are also blocked from reading such specific news items too!).

When I clicked on www.openfind.com as suggested by Kevin, I automatically am transferred to a server here in
... See more
I reported earlier that we here in China can no longer access www.google.com. I note this has now been reported in major western media like the New York Times (though we are also blocked from reading such specific news items too!).

When I clicked on www.openfind.com as suggested by Kevin, I automatically am transferred to a server here in China (www.openfind.com.cn, I think), which automatically chooses searches in simplified Chinese, it shows simplified Chinese and searches only in pages done in simplified Chinese.

This is frustrating...and perhaps even a bit evil!
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can feel your pain. Sep 14, 2002

Bruce,

I certainly can feel your pain and frustration. I wonder if you can bypass it by going through a website registered in America, such as ProZ.com or my own website, where I can setup a hyperlink to Google. I think I might can out smart the restriction in the Chinese gateway.I am talking to a couple of my computer guys here about this idea.

Kevin

P.S.

I just add a hyperlink in my Kudos answer to the Kudos q
... See more
Bruce,

I certainly can feel your pain and frustration. I wonder if you can bypass it by going through a website registered in America, such as ProZ.com or my own website, where I can setup a hyperlink to Google. I think I might can out smart the restriction in the Chinese gateway.I am talking to a couple of my computer guys here about this idea.

Kevin

P.S.

I just add a hyperlink in my Kudos answer to the Kudos question \"棒棒冰\". Or just click it here: www.google.com. Does it work? I am curious to know. When you use http://www.openfind.com, did you select \"All websites\" first?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-14 02:11 ]
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Google works Sep 14, 2002

Kevin,

I tried Google this morning here in Zhejiang and it worked quite well. It was not so a few days ago. But today everything goes well here.

Zhou Dan

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Google works now Sep 14, 2002

Hi, Bruce,

I tried Google search this morning and it worked well.

I think you can try it now. If there is no problem with me here in Zhejiang, there should not be any in Shenzhen. Good luck!

Zhou Dan

Zhaxe
Zhaxe
English
auto jumping to specific language Dec 4, 2002

Regarding this website: www.openfind.com, if you don\'t want it to jump automatically to the .cn page, you can change your browser settings. For example in IE, choose Internet settings under tools, and click languages, then you can change or add languages you want to use. The language at the top of the list is what websites will detect as your browser language. I know certain websites like hotmail will detect this and display y... See more
Regarding this website: www.openfind.com, if you don\'t want it to jump automatically to the .cn page, you can change your browser settings. For example in IE, choose Internet settings under tools, and click languages, then you can change or add languages you want to use. The language at the top of the list is what websites will detect as your browser language. I know certain websites like hotmail will detect this and display your language if it supports it.Collapse

DaelynnDai
DaelynnDai
English to Chinese
+ ...
You can set your own language configuration on www.openfind.com Jan 22, 2003

Go into personal configuration and change it back from simplified chinese into English or whatever language you want. It\'s not that hard.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please try this new, fast and more powerful search engine!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »