David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Some do without them, some can't live without them. May 11, 2019

《求之不得,得之不求》

Those who translate well don't really need them.
Those who don't, can't really make good use of them.

That's just my point of view, from an old translator who believes that translation is more of an art than science, even though translation as an industry is relying more and more on Cat tools nowadays.

You will get very different answers from different individuals: translators of different age groups, people who play
... See more
《求之不得,得之不求》

That's just my point of view, from an old translator who believes that translation is more of an art than science, even though translation as an industry is relying more and more on Cat tools nowadays.

You will get very different answers from different individuals: translators of different age groups, people who play different roles in the translation industry such as agency owners or project managers, not to mention software companies who are developing and marketing them.

At this point, I am not sure we can say that the translation industry is now dominated by CAT tools already, but it is certainly going towards that direction.

When I work on a large project (a file over 10 pages or a book), I do use machine translation for efficiency in typing. But that is a bit different from using CAT tools with term match functions and libraries etc. I tried a couple of them about ten years ago, but stopped using them.

Again, that's just my personal point of view and, by the way, welcome to this wonderful forum!

[Edited at 2019-05-11 20:50 GMT]
Collapse

Nico Qiao

Nico Qiao
Nico Qiao
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your opinion~ May 12, 2019

Thank you for your opinion~

Jimmy Gong
Jimmy Gong
China
Local time: 07:18
译员与CAT tools的关系 May 13, 2019

1)译员与CAT tools之间属于相辅相成,熟练地运用工具可以减少译员的重复作业,同时解决一些人工较难解决的问题,比如格式对应等。但是不应该过分依赖工具,还是要不断提高自我水平,主动分析翻译策略。
2)更多的应该是利用。人创造工具是为了辅助人类完成各项事物,一旦过分依赖,就失去了人的主动性。
3)软件操作是最大的问题
4)多练多运用,尽量熟悉各项操作,各种状况见多了自然会总结出应对方法

David Shen
Nico Qiao
Jacky Chien

Nico Qiao
Nico Qiao
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
求助 May 13, 2019

如果您还有认识的译员愿意帮忙回答一下问题 烦请您邀请一下 感谢🙏

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
回答 May 14, 2019

1)就是一种工具,一种提高生产力的方式。能够帮助提高收入却不能帮助提高翻译技能,这是使用者的悲哀。
2)当然是利用了,你吃饭的碗你会说你依赖这个碗吗?没有碗还有盘子,什么都没有就用手,总之不会饿着。
3)这个要根据具体的软件而定了,比如说塔多思,有时候会出现文件导不进去,翻译完了无法导出的问题。
4)论坛求助、Google和百度找答案、请教高手、自己捣腾等方案。

Nico Qiao

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
labor May 14, 2019

David Shen wrote:

《求之不得,得之不求》

You will get very different answers from different individuals: translators of different age groups, people who play different roles in the translation industry such as agency owners or project managers, not to mention software companies who are developing and marketing them.

At this point, I am not sure we can say that the translation industry is now dominated by CAT tools already, but it is certainly going towards that direction.

When I work on a large project (a file over 10 pages or a book), I do use machine translation for efficiency in typing. But that is a bit different from using CAT tools with term match functions and libraries etc. I tried a couple of them about ten years ago, but stopped using them.

Again, that's just my personal point of view and, by the way, welcome to this wonderful forum!

[Edited at 2019-05-11 20:50 GMT]

It's more like a labor than art or science. People are losing their professional pride and the situation could only get worse.

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 03:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
一段冷淡的关系 Jun 21, 2019

我不喜欢CAT,因为坦白说作为一个小白,在研究它的各种功能的时候,简直令我怀疑人生的意义……所以我目前只用一些基本的功能(segments, glssory, memories),认为还是有好处的。至于其它更高级的功能,我没意向要成为一名黑客;)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

译员与CAT tools的关系

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »