United Kingdom
Local time: 00:35
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Oct 21, 2018

Add oil: Encouraging Chinese phrase enters English dictionary

"Jia you" is a Mandarin Chinese expression used in cheers at sporting events and rallies or to encourage someone. In Cantonese, it's "ga yau".

Now the English translation - "add oil" - has been recognised by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Vid
... See more
Add oil: Encouraging Chinese phrase enters English dictionary

"Jia you" is a Mandarin Chinese expression used in cheers at sporting events and rallies or to encourage someone. In Cantonese, it's "ga yau".

Now the English translation - "add oil" - has been recognised by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Video by Tessa Wong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-45890216/add-oil-encouraging-chinese-phrase-enters-english-dictionary

Enjoy translating 加 油!
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
"Add oil" Oct 23, 2018

"jiayu" in Mandarin, literally "add oil" is best translated as:

"Go Red Sox!" or "Forza Italia!" or "Gambatte [whatever team you want]!"

David Lin

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
加油 Red Sox and Teamwork Oct 23, 2018

Hi Michael,

I don't have a team, so the Red Sox does not sound encouraging to me, but I have many reasons to love Boston.

出了波士顿,红袜踩小人。
今年是狗年,此袜特流行。
未必能加油,却可旺本命。
那位狗年生,但愿开鸿运。

http://www.jd.com/chanpin/2500869.html

[Edited at 2018-10-23 21:58 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
"add oil" noch einmal Oct 23, 2018

If you are in France, you could say "Allez, les bleus!"

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
How about adding a drop of purple! Oct 23, 2018

Michael,

I agree with you that some expressions for the ear only make sense in a specific geographical region. If you are not close to that to region or out of its area, that may not mean anything to you.

But most expressions for the eye work differently, the further away you are to the objects in a picture, the better they appear to you (until you can't see the objects anymore).

I love the French by the way, especially their art. but despite all the fuss a
... See more
Michael,

I agree with you that some expressions for the ear only make sense in a specific geographical region. If you are not close to that to region or out of its area, that may not mean anything to you.

But most expressions for the eye work differently, the further away you are to the objects in a picture, the better they appear to you (until you can't see the objects anymore).

I love the French by the way, especially their art. but despite all the fuss about impressionism however, most of Monet's waterlilies seem like French doodle to me at close inspection. Here is an example, with lots of blue and purple:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Claude_Monet_-_The_Water_Lilies_-_Setting_Sun_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

I am seriously thinking about how I could afford a cabin somewhere along the Loire, but that means I need much more than a few drops of oil.
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:35
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
A funny clip on ‘add oil’ Oct 24, 2018

About two weeks ago, before "Add oil" was included in Oxford Dictionary, this guy, apparently an ABC, shared what "加 油" can be said in plain English - one of which is as suggested by Michael Newton ”go xxxx“ - in the funny clip below.

Enjoy watching !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWi_XgmZeWw

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Go Sox Oct 24, 2018

10585504364_fa3ec5acd6_k1

David Lin

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
加油 Oct 28, 2018

pkchan wrote:

10585504364_fa3ec5acd6_k1

CITGO ... "See It Go"

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The Red Sox have WON the World Series! Oct 29, 2018

800px-Citgo_boston

The Boston Citgo sign is a large, double-faced sign featuring the logo of the oil company Citgo that overlooks Kenmore Square in Boston. The sign was installed in 1940 and updated with Citgo's present logo in 1965. The sign has become a landmark of Boston through its appearance in the background of Boston Red Sox games at Fenway Park. In 2016, the Boston Landmarks Commission granted preliminary landmark status to the sign to study whether the sign should receive historic preservation protection as a Boston Landmark.

We're LIVE at Kenmore Square near Fenway Park, where a crowd is celebrating the win.

[Edited at 2018-10-29 04:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-10-29 04:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Oxford Dictionary and Add oil

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »