https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/3296-strange_symbols_popped_up_on_the_screen.html&phpv_redirected=1

Strange symbols popped up on the Screen!
Thread poster: Chinoise
Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 11, 2002

Today, when I was trying to add some notes to my previous answer to a question posted in the English-Chinese pair(about the translation of \"phonology\",actually.), some strange symbols, instead of the appropriate Chinese characters, appeared on my screen. looks terrible! This is not the first time for me to encounter this kind of troubles.(Many times, the Chinese font automatically changed immediately after I posted the answer.)

Could anyone tell me how to cope with this so
... See more
Today, when I was trying to add some notes to my previous answer to a question posted in the English-Chinese pair(about the translation of \"phonology\",actually.), some strange symbols, instead of the appropriate Chinese characters, appeared on my screen. looks terrible! This is not the first time for me to encounter this kind of troubles.(Many times, the Chinese font automatically changed immediately after I posted the answer.)

Could anyone tell me how to cope with this sort of situation?
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think this would help. Jun 11, 2002

Hi, BBW

Isn\'t that annoying? I think I figured it out myself how to solve this problem because I had it before. The web page of ProZ.com cannot figure out the font you need to use for posting or reading a message. You need to select the language code every time BEFORE you start to write or read a message. For example, you will need to go to \"View\" in the menu bar, select \"Encoding\", select \"More\", then select the language code you want to use. I like to use \"Chinese
... See more
Hi, BBW

Isn\'t that annoying? I think I figured it out myself how to solve this problem because I had it before. The web page of ProZ.com cannot figure out the font you need to use for posting or reading a message. You need to select the language code every time BEFORE you start to write or read a message. For example, you will need to go to \"View\" in the menu bar, select \"Encoding\", select \"More\", then select the language code you want to use. I like to use \"Chinese Simplified (2312)\" for the Simplified Chinese. After you done with such encoding selection, you can begin to write your message in the pane. Your message will turn out correctly after it is posted. I am pretty sure you will not have the font corruption problem again. I know it\'s a pain in厃ou know where. But we just have to deal with it.

Kevin

Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for your advice! Jun 11, 2002

Thank you, Kevin. Following your tips, I tried to post the notes again, I made it! Now I am sure I will not have this problem again. Merci beaucoup!

Betty

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Watch out! Jun 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 17:50, BBW,linguist wrote:

Thank you, Kevin. Following your tips, I tried to post the notes again, I made it! Now I am sure I will not have this problem again. Merci beaucoup!

Betty

Hey, Betty,

Be Careful! Speak French to me can make me melt!

Kevin

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-11 17:50, BBW,linguist wrote:

Betty

Hey, Betty,

Be Careful! Speak French to me can make me melt!

Kevin

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 13:53 ]Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Another trick to try Jun 12, 2002

Betty, Kevin\'s suggestion is a fool-proof way and you cnnot go wrong with that.

If you use Internet Explorer, another thing you might try is to go to Tools > Internet Options, click on language and make sure Chinese (China) [zh-cn] is at the very top.

Then click on Fonts, select \"Chinese Simplified\" as the Language script and 宋体 for Web Page font and 新宋体 for Plain text font.

This way, when you go to a webpage that does
... See more
Betty, Kevin\'s suggestion is a fool-proof way and you cnnot go wrong with that.

If you use Internet Explorer, another thing you might try is to go to Tools > Internet Options, click on language and make sure Chinese (China) [zh-cn] is at the very top.

Then click on Fonts, select \"Chinese Simplified\" as the Language script and 宋体 for Web Page font and 新宋体 for Plain text font.

This way, when you go to a webpage that does not specify language encoding, IE will automatically default to Simplified Chinese.

Hope this will help.

Bin

Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good suggestion! Jun 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-12 05:16, libin wrote:

Then click on Fonts, select \"Chinese Simplified\" as the Language script and 宋体 for Web Page... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-12 05:16, libin wrote:

This way, when you go to a webpage that does not specify language encoding, IE will automatically default to Simplified Chinese.

Hope this will help.

Bin

Bin,

That\'s correct. I totally agree with you. But the catch is that you might experience some corruptions in Romance languages, especially those letters with accents and certain marks. The good news is that it is not crucial because Betty does not work with those languages.

Kevin

Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢! Jun 12, 2002

多谢各位的帮助。下次有问题一定再向大家讨教。

顺祝午安!

Betty 3.22 pm (EST)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange symbols popped up on the Screen!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »