https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/2409-agency_posting_actual_job_in_kudoz_for_free_service.html&phpv_redirected=1

Agency posting actual job in KudoZ for free service
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 23, 2002

The following is a KudoZ question posted in Chinese pair. What do you think about this. Should I squash it or not?

This is from an agency and a non-paying member.

Here is the link for the posting:

http://www.proz.com/glossary/188267

... See more

The following is a KudoZ question posted in Chinese pair. What do you think about this. Should I squash it or not?

This is from an agency and a non-paying member.

Here is the link for the posting:

http://www.proz.com/glossary/188267

>>>>>>>>>

Please see Context - Taiwan

Our client is looking at new names for their organization. Before finalizing a list of

options, they would like to determine if potential monikers have negative

implications in other languages, i.e. Nova as a car model moniker.

We need you to review the 4 words below to ensure that they do not have negative meanings -

Fusion

Contex

Imagent

Intellicoat

Asker: Janna Lundberg

7:20pm

Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Squash that free work requester Apr 23, 2002

Too much...

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too Much Apr 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-23 23:51, nonogogo wrote:

Too much...

Werner George Patels has squashed it.

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:40
German to Italian
+ ...
Actually Apr 24, 2002

do you really think that was the only agency

doing such a trick???

Wake up, peers!

Anthony Indra
Anthony Indra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
Member (2002)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The agency is also asking the same Freebies questions in Indonesian, and Malay! Apr 24, 2002

The agency is also asking the same freebies questions in Indonesian.

One translator answered it, and the agency asked him again about Malay translation.

For this kind of work, translators usually can earn honest money, but now it\'s \'kudoz\'.

Hmm. Well.

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Worthless question and most likely worthless answer Apr 24, 2002

The question iteslf made no sense. Does the asker want to know what conotations these words would have if pronounced to a non-English speaking speaker in Oxford English? or American English or if spoken by a non-English speaker with a heavy Chinese accent (and if so from where?). Research should be done on different regions too. I agree with Bin Li entirely that this is a job and also one that requires some time, though, research and considerable background knowledge. Any random and partial answ... See more
The question iteslf made no sense. Does the asker want to know what conotations these words would have if pronounced to a non-English speaking speaker in Oxford English? or American English or if spoken by a non-English speaker with a heavy Chinese accent (and if so from where?). Research should be done on different regions too. I agree with Bin Li entirely that this is a job and also one that requires some time, though, research and considerable background knowledge. Any random and partial answers from well-intentioned and charitable answerers might well be of more harm that benefit. On this subject, I will inform anyone out there who wants to sell the Lupo brand car (sells okay in Taiwan) in Shanghai that this name would certainly incur great ridicule in Shanghai Tan!!! (a Nova on a more vulgar dimension). Also the French word for umbrella always has the locals pissing themselves in bars.Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 18:40
German to English
+ ...
Yep, I squashed it: guilty as charged ;-) Apr 24, 2002

This particular job is very common in our job: analyzing product names, etc. and their \"local impact\" (e.g., does it sound like an offensive word in another language?).

This is a growing segment of the translation/language industry and, therefore, should not have been posted as a freebie.

But I would not worry about it too much: this site is self-regulated; we can ignore such ridiculous requests or squash them. These things will always happen, and sinc
... See more
This particular job is very common in our job: analyzing product names, etc. and their \"local impact\" (e.g., does it sound like an offensive word in another language?).

This is a growing segment of the translation/language industry and, therefore, should not have been posted as a freebie.

But I would not worry about it too much: this site is self-regulated; we can ignore such ridiculous requests or squash them. These things will always happen, and since we do not want to become a fortress (i.e., ensuring free access to this site), we will just have to keep our eyes open and take appropriate action wherever and whenever necessary.
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A free-loader got caught? Apr 24, 2002

It is nice to see you all here!

I totally agree this should be handled as a paid job. I helped some similar cases in the past years. Such jobs are usually from a translation company or a survey agency. They are paid to gather such information or conduct such a survey by those manufacturers. This usually happened when a manufacturer wants to sell its product in China or target the Chinese population as its major consumer group. The business people become more aware nowadays
... See more
It is nice to see you all here!

I totally agree this should be handled as a paid job. I helped some similar cases in the past years. Such jobs are usually from a translation company or a survey agency. They are paid to gather such information or conduct such a survey by those manufacturers. This usually happened when a manufacturer wants to sell its product in China or target the Chinese population as its major consumer group. The business people become more aware nowadays the importance that the translation of their product name or company name sounds good or appeals to the targeted market, and does not associate with anything bad meanings. However, I was approached a couple of times by my established clients for such job and ended up by providing my opinion as doing a �favor�, because the job is so �small�. Perhaps I should set a rate for such service in future. I did hear from other fellow translators said to me that \"it\'s too small to charge when I had a one-sentence job. Perhaps we should discuss the topics such as \"too small to charge\" and \"too small to bid\".

Such job should be conducted by a qualified person who has knowledge in translation and geography. Agree with David�s comment above, China is so large and has such a large variety of dialects and accents, it seems very risky to ask such question so general and assume a few answers would represent the Chinese people as a whole. Well, one thing is for sure that someone is trying to free load the free resources here and got caught.

Collapse

Local time: 18:40
German to English
+ ...
Fully agree, Kevin Apr 25, 2002

With the Chinese market, in particular, this is absolutely true (Mandarin, Cantonese, several different dialects, etc.).

This particular assignment should never be done for free, in my opinion. It is actually a business-consulting service, with a bit of translation/language thrown in there. And business consulting pays big bucks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »