https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/209312-how_to_build_up_my_resume-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to build up my resume?
Thread poster: Jun Ng
James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
人与人不同 Oct 11, 2011

《侏罗纪公园》里,在格兰博士与两个小孩逃命时,发现一堆已经破了壳的恐龙蛋。此前,他听园区管理员有信心地表示过:公园里饲养的全部恐龙都只是雌性,也就是恐龙的自体繁殖是受控的。看着这些依靠单性繁殖破壳而出的恐龙留下的蛋壳,他震惊半响,心惊有余悸地说了一句:Life find its way(生命自有其法:)

ysun wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

遇到一個大單﹐做了三年時間﹐單價超過20分﹐每天都有新文件。

傅雷为保证质量而日译不逾千字。有些人以此为楷模,每天工作8小时,每天只译2000 words。以单价$0.20/word 计,日挣400美元。而有天赋聪明、后天努力者,以近“同声译”速度每天翻译15小时,日译近两万字。以每千字60元计,日挣约1200 元人民币(不到200美元),还觉得“翻译的报酬算是极高也不为过”。看来人与人确实大不相同。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just for reference Oct 11, 2011

ATA’s Translation and Interpreting Compensation Survey 2007

http://www.atanet.org/docs/compensation_survey_2007.pdf
Rates Per Word and Hourly Rates:
At an average of $0.19 per word, the language combinations commanding the highest rate per word were English into Arabic and English into Danish. At an average of $0.12 per word, the language combinations commanding the lowest rate were English into Italian and English into Portuguese.

The highest average hourly rates by language combination were English into Chinese ($74.92) and Chinese into English ($65.79).

Jun Ng
Jun Ng
Local time: 19:33
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
市场现状 Oct 11, 2011

这是不是说明了中英翻译含金量不高,靠的是以量取胜啊?

ysun wrote:

ATA’s Translation and Interpreting Compensation Survey 2007

http://www.atanet.org/docs/compensation_survey_2007.pdf
Rates Per Word and Hourly Rates:
At an average of $0.19 per word, the language combinations commanding the highest rate per word were English into Arabic and English into Danish. At an average of $0.12 per word, the language combinations commanding the lowest rate were English into Italian and English into Portuguese.

The highest average hourly rates by language combination were English into Chinese ($74.92) and Chinese into English ($65.79).

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
不能一概而论 Oct 11, 2011

Jun Ng wrote:

这是不是说明了中英翻译含金量不高,靠的是以量取胜啊?

不能一概而论。以量取胜的是以“同声译”速度每天翻译15小时,日译近两万字的翻译大师。

Jun Ng
Jun Ng
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
那我有小孩不行 Oct 11, 2011

[quote]James_xia wrote:
做翻译的人,多以维持生活为目标。若希望达到‘发财’,却不太现实。一年三、五十万美元虽很牛,但个人付出的代价是巨大的。翻译对要求个人具备及付出的东西太多,除了语言水平、文化背景,译者还要求做事时长时间保持高度专注。仅长时间坐着不动的这种工作方式就身体非常不利。此外,还有人际关系也会受到较大影响,通常自由翻译做了几年后,你的社会圏扩大会非常有限,你的人脉甚至会出现收缩...这些都是做职业翻译可能付出的隐性代价。

自己常对那些‘羡慕’做翻译的朋友开玩笑说:做职业翻译的人不需要朋友,因为他们没多少时间和朋友聚会; 也不需要父母,因为他们生病时你管不到;也不需要老婆、孩子,因为你没时间照顾她们的感受!所以,为了生存,你可以做翻译。但之后,还有很多路可以走的。[quote]

天哪,如果是这样的话,我是铁定不能当翻译了,至少现阶段不能,因为小孩还小呢,我不想为了自己的喜好错过他们成长的过程,这样我老了一点会后悔的。

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
不用做全职 Oct 11, 2011

Jun Ng wrote:

做翻译需要一些牺牲精神是真的,具体到多少,得看你有多少的决心和勇气去走这条路。在最后确定投入这行之前,前面的同事和我告诉你的是一些基本常识和体验。你可以如许许多多的其他翻译一样,从兼职翻译开始做起,以后再考虑是否值得全部投入就OK了。

Jun Ng
Jun Ng
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
师傅带进门,修行靠个人 Oct 12, 2011

说的是哦,谢谢!现在先兼着,等时机对了再说。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:33
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Great comments all around Oct 13, 2011

James_xia wrote:

Jun Ng wrote:

做翻译需要一些牺牲精神是真的,具体到多少,得看你有多少的决心和勇气去走这条路。在最后确定投入这行之前,前面的同事和我告诉你的是一些基本常识和体验。你可以如许许多多的其他翻译一样,从兼职翻译开始做起,以后再考虑是否值得全部投入就OK了。

I have a full-time job and I freelance on the side. It's tiring, it's tough and it kills my health. But I love it. Still, I think I'd be more stressed out if I rely on translation to make a living- it's too unstable and won't help me fulfill life's basic necessities. Clearly, i am not a stage like most veterans here so I can't comlain My two cents is that you clearly want to get back into it becuase you love it. But when life's burden is on your shoulders it really isn't wise to jump into it. I am happy reaping the benefits off of my full time job, while handling the freelance projects on the side and earning extra cash

If one day, some day, I will be qualified and lucky enough to land a good client, and still have other means to fall back on if translation doesn't go through, then I will consider doing this full-time.

Good luck!

Jun Ng
Jun Ng
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My fall back plan Oct 13, 2011

Rita Pang wrote:

If one day, some day, I will be qualified and lucky enough to land a good client, and still have other means to fall back on if translation doesn't go through, then I will consider doing this full-time.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your story Rita! Actually I was thinking about going into the insurance business if I am to quit my full time job. My husband runs his small office and he always says I will be a big help if I join him because we can sell different products that offer customers better prices and options. This way I can dedicate some down time to my freelance work. I know it's gonna be hard financially at the beginning, but it might be more interesting than my current job...I just have to find out if I am a good sales person

Jun Ng
Jun Ng
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which perspective do you like? Oct 13, 2011

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle." - Steve Jobs

"If you tell y
... See more
"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle." - Steve Jobs

"If you tell yourself that your job has to be something you'd do even if you didn't get paid, you'll be looking for a long time. Maybe forever. So why set that standard? The reward for doing a job is contributing to something larger than you are, participating in society, and being valued in the form of money...Do not what you love; do what you are. It's how I chose my career. ...It's a myth mostly propagated by people who tell you to do what you love. Doing what you love will make you feel fulfilled. But you don't need to get paid for it." - Penelope Trunk (writer and blogger who examines the life of people in their 20s and their interaction between work and life.)

Which one do you believe in?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to build up my resume?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »