https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/202807-cnn%E4%B8%BA%E2%80%9C%E7%9A%AE%E8%9B%8B%E6%81%B6%E5%BF%83%E8%AF%B4%E2%80%9D%E9%81%93%E6%AD%89_%E7%A7%B0%E6%97%A0%E6%84%8F%E5%86%92%E7%8A%AF%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E6%96%87%E5%8C%96-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: CNN为“皮蛋恶心说”道歉 称无意冒犯中国文化
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
Clearing the air Sep 5, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin,

Try to say something that is in line with the rules of this professional website. I would definitely not silence you.

I don't think you have tried to silence me.

Good then. In that case, please don't go around hinting it. I'd appreciate it if you could please clarify what you mean by what you said in this other thread.

Bin Tiede wrote:

http://www.proz.com/post/1800316#1800316

Silencing majority

发言的人不太多,大部分同事都一瓶子不响地沉默着……

Most people just keep silent (maybe only reading the posts), while only a few express their opinions on the forum.

Why do you think I am suggesting you ?

Well, I guess you meant well. The correct English is "Silent Majority".

I apologize if I read too much into your post. BTW, I don't think we're on the greatest terms at this point, are we? I typically don't hold any grudges against anyone. But frankly, it might take me awhile to really get over that dog post of yours.

[Edited at 2011-09-05 17:28 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 16:10
TOPIC STARTER
My English isn't that good Sep 5, 2011

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin,

Try to say something that is in line with the rules of this professional website. I would definitely not silence you.

Good then. In that case, please don't go around hinting it. I'd appreciate it if you could please clarify what you mean by what you said in this other thread.

Bin Tiede wrote:

Silencing majority

Most people just keep silent (maybe only reading the posts), while only a few express their opinions on the forum.

Well, I guess you meant well. The correct English is "Silence Majority".

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for that Sep 5, 2011

wherestip wrote:

I apologize if I read too much into your post. But I don't think we're on the greatest terms at this point, do you? That dog post of yours really offended me.

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
silent majority or silence majority? Sep 5, 2011

I am a bit confused.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Silent Majority Sep 5, 2011

Donglai Lou wrote:

I am a bit confused.

Donglai,

It is silent majority. Sorry about the typo.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Anyhow Sep 5, 2011

Donglai Lou wrote:

silent majority or silence majority?

Not "silencing majority".

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Again Sep 5, 2011

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin,

Bin Tiede wrote:

Silencing majority

Well, I guess you meant well. The correct English is "Silent Majority".

I apologize if I read too much into your post. BTW, I don't think we're on the greatest terms at this point, are we? I typically don't hold any grudges against anyone. But frankly, it might take me awhile to really get over that dog post of yours.

I am very sorry about that, Steve. I didn't think about any person in particular when making that statement. It is certainly outrageous for any dog owner who also considers other people when walking his dog. Indeed most of them do, but a few do not.

[Edited at 2011-09-05 18:04 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Is there anything I can do? Sep 5, 2011

wherestip wrote:
I typically don't hold any grudges against anyone. But frankly, it might take me awhile to really get over that dog post of yours.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
说者无意 听者有心 Sep 5, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

I am very sorry about that, Steve. I didn't think about any person in particular when making that statement. It is certainly outrageous for any dog owner who also considers other people when walking his dog. Indeed most of them do, but a few do not.

... Maybe that was the case. I definitely want to apologize to you for being overly sensitive.

I always keep my dogs on a tight leash while walking them. Indeed one has to be considerate of others at all times. It's true that not everyone is a dog-lover.

Anyway, no hard feelings on my part. I hope you forgive me also.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
No, Sep 5, 2011

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

... Maybe that was the case. I definitely want to apologize to you for being overly sensitive.

I always keep my dogs on a tight leash while walking them. Indeed one has to be considerate of others at all times. It's true that not everyone is a dog-lover.

Anyway, no hard feelings on my part. I hope you forgive me also.

I've never had anything against you.

As I saw your reaction, I knew immediately that you have dogs. If I'd known it earlier, I certainly wouldn't have made that post.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
一些看法 Sep 7, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

I am very sorry about that, Steve. I didn't think about any person in particular when making that statement.

Labor Day 长周末我出外旅游,今天才看到上面这些帖子,简单说几句。

美国人视猫、狗为朋友、为家庭成员一部分,而不是玩物或下贱动物。一旦发生地震、火灾等自然灾害,他们首先抢救的是家庭成员以及猫、狗,其次才是家中财产。德国人也是如此。这恐怕也属于中西方文化的差异。你在德国生活多年,不会没有一点体会吧?不养狗的人,应该懂得尊重别人的选择。尽管网上有不少人以“与狗为伍”自嘲,但“与狗为伍”这种说法,基本上是贬义的。西方国家的人认为你的说法 offensive,这是很自然的事情,并非是过分敏感。

CNN 将皮蛋列为“全球十大最恶心食物”,结果冒犯了很多中国人。因此,CNN 正式道歉,“称报道本意不是要冒犯任何人,更无意冒犯中国文化”。也许你也无意冒犯任何特定的个人,但你恰恰与 CNN 一样,犯了同样的错误。当然,我无意小题大做,但建议你今后在出帖时要慎重一些。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
养狗究竟有多麻烦? Sep 7, 2011

我女儿很羡慕别人家养狗,曾经多次向我提出要养狗的要求,都被我拒绝了。虽然她们信誓旦旦地保证,一但弄条狗回来她们绝对会自己照顾, 但我估计小孩子只是图一时新鲜,最多过不了两个星期,遛狗的任务就全部落到我头上。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CNN为“皮蛋恶心说”道歉 称无意冒犯中国文化

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »