How often do you use Chinese on-line dictionaries?
Thread poster: Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 22, 2002

Dear fellow translators,

It looks like there are many websites offering on-line dictionary service. ProZ.com also has a nice collection of the glossaries. Lately, I tried some of the popular Chinese on-line dictionaries. I did not find the Chinese translation for the word I was looking for. It seems to me if any word not found in my dictionaries at hand, it will not be found it in the on-line dictionaries. I do not know where I got the idea that the on-line dictionaries woul
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

It looks like there are many websites offering on-line dictionary service. ProZ.com also has a nice collection of the glossaries. Lately, I tried some of the popular Chinese on-line dictionaries. I did not find the Chinese translation for the word I was looking for. It seems to me if any word not found in my dictionaries at hand, it will not be found it in the on-line dictionaries. I do not know where I got the idea that the on-line dictionaries would have all the new words that the printed dictionaries do not have.

I wonder how often you people would use on-line dictionaries for reference? Are you happy with them? Any successful stories? Any highly-recommended URL?

Thanks!

Kevin

Collapse

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Sunrain seems be very complete and useful Mar 22, 2002

I have found \"Sunrain\" to be very useful. Don\'t know much about it but it would seem that people can contribute new entries to the dictionary too. Sorry, can\'t think of the URL off the top of my head but a Google of Sunrain should get you there.

Tingting Hu
Tingting Hu
English to Chinese
+ ...
my experience with online dictionaries Mar 22, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most of the online dictionaries are only for ordinary learners not for the professional people. thus, it\'s rather difficult to get a good one.

for a specific topic, such as gem stone, i ever got a complete glossary after visited several jewelers\' website. however, it may cost you a lot of time.

We may setup an forum on proz or somewhere else to put the glossary set we\'ve found. th
... See more
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most of the online dictionaries are only for ordinary learners not for the professional people. thus, it\'s rather difficult to get a good one.

for a specific topic, such as gem stone, i ever got a complete glossary after visited several jewelers\' website. however, it may cost you a lot of time.

We may setup an forum on proz or somewhere else to put the glossary set we\'ve found. that will benefit everyone.
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good suggestion! Mar 22, 2002

Thank you, David and tiger! Very good suggestions. Since we have this folder setup already. Let\'s list the recommended URLs in this fold if anyone would like to share with us.

True, a dictionary or glossary is updated or not relies on everyone\'s effort to input the new translations and terms. This is how important to build the \"Glossaries\" at ProZ.com. To be updated quickly with new words and translations is the advantage of online dictionary over the printed dictionary.
... See more
Thank you, David and tiger! Very good suggestions. Since we have this folder setup already. Let\'s list the recommended URLs in this fold if anyone would like to share with us.

True, a dictionary or glossary is updated or not relies on everyone\'s effort to input the new translations and terms. This is how important to build the \"Glossaries\" at ProZ.com. To be updated quickly with new words and translations is the advantage of online dictionary over the printed dictionary. We all can help with that.

Kevin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How often do you use Chinese on-line dictionaries?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »