+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 03:46, Liebling wrote:

Kevin你也说德文吗? 不知在美国与加拿大地区德文翻中文的待遇如何?

-Liebling

Hello, Liebling

It is wonderful to see you \"in person\"! You left so many ripples behind after last posting. Many translators were trying to help you. It seems the suggestions worked.

Sor... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-22 03:46, Liebling wrote:

Kevin你也说德文吗? 不知在美国与加拿大地区德文翻中文的待遇如何?

-Liebling

Hello, Liebling

It is wonderful to see you \"in person\"! You left so many ripples behind after last posting. Many translators were trying to help you. It seems the suggestions worked.

Sorry, I do not speak German. I only can say a few Gernman words to tease around. As for the rate for German translation in America, I cannot speak for all the German translators, but as a translation coordinator, I managed last year an English to German translation of 800 words in general marketing subject at the rate of USD $0.16 per English word. The Japanese translator\'s rate is also much better than the Chinese. I guess one of the reasons is that there are many Chinese translators available to provide services.

Kevin ▲ Collapse

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
quite agree, each word has its own meaning according to each culture & time as well Jun 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-26 16:45, AbacusTrans wrote:

It has nothing to do with memory; it is simply impossible (and will remain so) to program a machine - no matter how sophisticated it may be - to apply human instinct and emotions to the analysis of a text.

I mean, we don\'t even know yet how the human brain works. So, how could we program a machine to do something that even the smartest scientists in the world have... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-26 16:45, AbacusTrans wrote:

It has nothing to do with memory; it is simply impossible (and will remain so) to program a machine - no matter how sophisticated it may be - to apply human instinct and emotions to the analysis of a text.

I mean, we don\'t even know yet how the human brain works. So, how could we program a machine to do something that even the smartest scientists in the world have not come to grasp yet?

Translation is more - a whole lot more - than just words, sentences and syntax. Understanding the information (including the information \"between the lines\", i.e., nuances) contained therein and conveying it in another language is something that no machine will ever be able to do - not even 500 years from now.

So, to those Trekkies out there who firmly believe that the \"Universal Translator\" will one day become reality I have this to say: dream on!

Collapse

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
May be we need to plea to UN for a univ8ersal minimum wage for world-wide translator? Jul 6, 2002

It\'s certainly an interesting question. What is the lower, lowest fee should a translator charge or accept.

When one is starved to death, he/she would accept any penny\'s work. What is happening in this world is: we might be on the Information Super-Hiway and forget about the local people who are yet, have a ticket to next city or town or money for next meal.

The minimum wage on the global scale would be:\"guess what\" As long as one can be well fed in
... See more
It\'s certainly an interesting question. What is the lower, lowest fee should a translator charge or accept.

When one is starved to death, he/she would accept any penny\'s work. What is happening in this world is: we might be on the Information Super-Hiway and forget about the local people who are yet, have a ticket to next city or town or money for next meal.

The minimum wage on the global scale would be:\"guess what\" As long as one can be well fed in according to his/her appetite at that very moment.

We all experience the moment of craving

for money in our lives, this topic reminds me of \"Is Chinese translator threatening the translation industry\"

Collapse

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
rate vs translator Jul 11, 2002

Dear Kevin,

Wish you don\'t mind I simply skip all others\' comments and address directly to the subject quesion.

Fair rate vs. Translator

First thing comes into mind is: the question is more than 2 folds

My opinion is:

fair rates varied in according to that person\'s economics being at that very moment. \"一分钱可以急死一个英雄。

The 2nd fold is being:

... See more
Dear Kevin,

Wish you don\'t mind I simply skip all others\' comments and address directly to the subject quesion.

Fair rate vs. Translator

My opinion is:

fair rates varied in according to that person\'s economics being at that very moment. \"一分钱可以急死一个英雄。

The 2nd fold is being:

translator is kind of a general term, how about Japanese translator. (at least twice as high than English or Chinese) for example, may be it should subject to: 物以稀为贵 or the career path of each translator. Junior, Senior, ...

well, we all know, 2 to 2\'s square equals 4, not to mention to include translator\'s own mentality.

just a note

really appreciate your contribution in Chinese community
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comment! Jul 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-11 10:56, Summit wrote:

Dear Kevin,

Fair rate vs. Translator

My opinion is:

fair rates varied in according to that person\'s economics being at that very ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-11 10:56, Summit wrote:

Dear Kevin,

Fair rate vs. Translator

My opinion is:

The 2nd fold is being:

translator is kind of a general term, how about Japanese translator. (at least twice as high than English or Chinese) for example, may be it should subject to: 物以稀为贵 or the career path of each translator. Junior, Senior, ...

well, we all know, 2 to 2\'s square equals 4, not to mention to include translator\'s own mentality.

just a note

really appreciate your contribution in Chinese community

Dear Summit,

Thank you for your comment! I am so glad to see you being an active advocator in the Chinese Forum! I wish to see more people like you who can speak mind here. Please keep up with your enthusiasms!

Kevin

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a fair rate for a translator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »