Thread poster: chooi
chooi
chooi
Malaysia
Local time: 09:54
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2002

I would like some help and advice on translator accreditation, certification or any qualification.

I have only started doing translation for less than 1.5 years. Even though I have a BSc. (medical) and a Master degree in Commerce, I have no qualification in any linguistic field whatsoever.

What options do I have, in terms of accreditation, qualifications (Chinese/English), etc? I am looking for something that is more accessible to me, such as distance le
... See more
I would like some help and advice on translator accreditation, certification or any qualification.

I have only started doing translation for less than 1.5 years. Even though I have a BSc. (medical) and a Master degree in Commerce, I have no qualification in any linguistic field whatsoever.

What options do I have, in terms of accreditation, qualifications (Chinese/English), etc? I am looking for something that is more accessible to me, such as distance learning, or accreditation from countries nearer to home (i.e. Malaysia) but widely recognised. (The accreditation from Malaysian bodies focussed mainly on Malay language).

Collapse

Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
China now have this kind of program in progress developed by Mar 12, 2002

Beijing Foreign Language Studies University

http://www.bfsu.edu.cn/chinese/zhfw/kspx/fyzsks/zxjj.htm(Chinese version)

You may find what you are searching for.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Have you visited ATA's website? Mar 20, 2002

Hello, chooi

Sorry, it took me so long to get to you. I was distracted by the other folders.

I think you should visit the website of American Translators Association (ATA). The URL is as follows:

http://www.atanet.org/membro.htm

From this site you can find lots of information and get your question answered.

Good lu
... See more
Hello, chooi

Sorry, it took me so long to get to you. I was distracted by the other folders.

I think you should visit the website of American Translators Association (ATA). The URL is as follows:

http://www.atanet.org/membro.htm

From this site you can find lots of information and get your question answered.

Good luck!

Kevin
Collapse

chooi
chooi
Malaysia
Local time: 09:54
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Somewhere nearer to Asia? Mar 20, 2002

Yes Kevin, I have checked out the ATA website,found out that they only conduct exams in US and Canada. That is a bit too far away for me at the moment. I am considering the accreditation from Australian Interpretor and Translator Association or the alternative is diploma of Translation from UK (hopefully I can sit for the latter in my home country). Anyone has any suggestion or advice on those?

shannonyu
shannonyu
United States
Local time: 18:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
To improve my translation skills Mar 23, 2002

Hi,

I\'m just starting doing translation, and I\'d like to improve my skill. There are very few school that offer translation courses in English to Chinese. But I think the best way is probally to get a degree in English major? Chinese is my native language, but I\'ve been living in the U.S. for 10 years now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese/English translator accreditation/qualification

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »