https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/1698-be_careful_with_ewebtranslator_question_on_canadian_collection_agency.html&phpv_redirected=1

Be Careful with EwebTranslator + question on canadian collection agency
Thread poster: iLen
iLen
iLen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 10, 2002

I worked for this company for over 2 years, normally they pay my payments, but with some short delay. However, at the beginning of last year I translated a medium size job for them, and they did not pay for that (near US$1000). I chased them and just got a answer saying \"the client is not happy with your quality so they did not pay us, thus we can not pay you\". When I request the contact person (Brian Fukuma) in EwebTranslator to provide the comments from the client, they simply give this and ... See more
I worked for this company for over 2 years, normally they pay my payments, but with some short delay. However, at the beginning of last year I translated a medium size job for them, and they did not pay for that (near US$1000). I chased them and just got a answer saying \"the client is not happy with your quality so they did not pay us, thus we can not pay you\". When I request the contact person (Brian Fukuma) in EwebTranslator to provide the comments from the client, they simply give this and that excuses and do not communicate with me again. Any colleague here have suggestions to deal with this kind of problem? I know there is a payment chasing company based in canada stating that they can affect the company\'s credit if they do not pay money they ought to pay, but will charge 15% as the fee for chasing back the payment. Is such company reliable? Any comment is appreciated.Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:27
French to English
Collection agency Mar 10, 2002

Perhaps the collection agency you\'re referring to is Marathon (http://www.marathon-ltd.com/anglais/accueil.htm). I had to use them once to collect an overdue payment, and at the time, they took 25% (this was fine with me, because getting 75% is better than getting nothing at all).

Have a look at their Web site. They have a sliding commission scale, so the larger the
... See more
Perhaps the collection agency you\'re referring to is Marathon (http://www.marathon-ltd.com/anglais/accueil.htm). I had to use them once to collect an overdue payment, and at the time, they took 25% (this was fine with me, because getting 75% is better than getting nothing at all).

Have a look at their Web site. They have a sliding commission scale, so the larger the amount to collect, the less they take.

Something I used once to collect an overdue payment (when the first 3 faxes didn\'t have an effect) was to send another fax threatening to put their name on all the translation mailing lists and forums on the Internet (I made a detailed list). I received payment within 10 days, and the agency had the nerve to offer me another job, which I naturally declined.

I hope that helps,

Erika

Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Erika, you are brilliant! Mar 10, 2002

Hi, BestTrans and Erika,

I am so sorry to hear what BestTrans had to go through. Your client is definitely wrong by refusing to pay for your translation service. The normal practice is that the client should let you know the feedback or comments they have about your translation, then you review the comments and make necessary revision to your translation, then re-submit your translation.

This subject should be discussed further, especially how to handle
... See more
Hi, BestTrans and Erika,

I am so sorry to hear what BestTrans had to go through. Your client is definitely wrong by refusing to pay for your translation service. The normal practice is that the client should let you know the feedback or comments they have about your translation, then you review the comments and make necessary revision to your translation, then re-submit your translation.

This subject should be discussed further, especially how to handle it as a translator. Although in translation business there is no such a thing called \"As Is\" policy like buying a used car, but it always puts you in a better situation if you write an agreement or contract that includes the term of payment, dispute resolving approach, etc. Make such a contract a standard document, and request your client to to have an authorized manager to sign, print name and date it. This is very important especially when you are dealing with a new client. Sorry to say that we are no longer in an age that oral agreement is sufficient for everything.

As for collection agency, I heard of the Canadian company, but never used their service before. Bin Li was suggesting to use ATA\'s collection service agent, Dun & Bradstreet. ATA is American Translators Association. They can get the debtors into some national lists and ruin the debtors business reputation.

I begin to notice that such things seem happening more often to the translators who are operating overseas. As a translator in America, I have never been treated this way. I guess I should never say \"never\".

Erika, you are brilliant! I love your approach of telling your client who is not paying you that you will post that company as bad company in all of the translation sites in Internet and list as many URLs as possible. Be sure to include ProZ.com! I think this is extreemly effective. For example, in this Chinese Forum,I notice that each of the last three postings have been read by more than 100 people within last three days. Be sure to try it before hiring a clloection agency.

Again, I want to remind everyone, please remember to rate each company you worked for in \"Agency rating\" in ProZ.com.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Kevin

Collapse

iLen
iLen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Mar 11, 2002

Thank you all, my colleagues, I will try the approaches you suggested. Thanks again and good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be Careful with EwebTranslator + question on canadian collection agency

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »