Ada Gianfreda  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:26
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2010

Dear all,

Does anybody know a tool or a webpage where I can generate or find what is the foreign name corresponding to its Chinese transcription?

I have foreign names written with Chinese characters and I do not know nor I can guess what names are.
Does somebody know how to solve this problem?

Thank you!

Ada

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:26
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
One by one Mar 16, 2010

I think you will have to have them translated back to English one by one. There are often quite a few Chinese translations for one English/foreign name, mostly based on the pronunciation. Some could be solved by typical machine translation tools, such as Google, but you will have to spend time on investigation case by case for some hard nuts.

[Edited at 2010-03-16 17:11 GMT]

Ada Gianfreda
Ada Gianfreda  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:26
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one by one Mar 17, 2010

Thank you Ibone for your reply.
The "one by one" method is just the one I use but sometimes I am not sure about the results. I hoped there was a better one...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Foreign names transcripted with Chinese characters

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »