Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 17, 2003

Hey, D.

What a pleasant surprise to hear from you! I was delighted to read your lovely email and learn that you have been doing well. That is awesome! I hope you are in an area where there is NO risk of SARS attack. I think it is safer to stay home and not go to the public places. The people in Portland, Oregon, start to talk more about it now and wonder how to deal with it. What a crazy year so far! War, SARS... I wonder what would be the next. Thank goodness, I am mostly
... See more
Hey, D.

What a pleasant surprise to hear from you! I was delighted to read your lovely email and learn that you have been doing well. That is awesome! I hope you are in an area where there is NO risk of SARS attack. I think it is safer to stay home and not go to the public places. The people in Portland, Oregon, start to talk more about it now and wonder how to deal with it. What a crazy year so far! War, SARS... I wonder what would be the next. Thank goodness, I am mostly working at my home office with 4 computers. I guess I should be considered to be at the safest place. Does this sound too much like a symptom of agoraphobia? Hope not.

Thank you for your support to the Chinese Forum! Yes, it has been slow. I think the first crop of translators might decide to move on with their own life and only check in occasionally, whereas the newcomers are still testing the water and learning to work with the system. I look at it as a tea-house effect, the patrons come and go, the regulars can also grow out of it. I think it is normal, and nothing wrong with it. That抯 how life goes. I saw Bin Li at ProZ.com the other day, and we exchanged greetings, and it felt like a breeze of the Spring.

I have exchanged emails with some translators like yourself, they also told me they were disappointed with the behavior and attitude of some individuals in the Chinese KudoZ translation and the Chinese Forum. I also sensed those individuals have a fit with me. Do I give a rat抯 butt? Of course NOT! I chose to keep doing what I always like to do and offer help to those translators who can appreciate. You have lived in China for all these years, I am sure that you have seen the Chinese men of letters tend to scorn each other. The stink mannerism of Chinese scholars has been carried on for thousands of years. So we should not be surprised if one can spot it here and there from time to time.

I think of you highly. Keep up with you passion in translation. Please drop by more often when you can! You have very unique perspectives and should share them with us here.

Thank you for your invitation! I promise I will give you a jingle if I visit your city. I love that great restaurant named SHUN FENG by the People抯 Square.

Ciao!

Kevin

[ This Message was edited by: TongliUSA on 2003-04-21 00:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thank you for your email!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »