Canada
Local time: 04:46
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Mar 24, 2003

Hello all,

I have a serious problem here:

When I first bought Trados 5.5 FL I zoomed around it, tried the tutorials, and saw how WS works. But ever since then I\'ve used Trados without WS. I\'ve also never used MultiTerm.

I\'ve always created my TMs from scratch, for each project.

Now I have a large project with a client who has sent me a .txt file for a termbase. She has told me repeatedly how to import it into workbench, after I ha
... See more
Hello all,

I have a serious problem here:

When I first bought Trados 5.5 FL I zoomed around it, tried the tutorials, and saw how WS works. But ever since then I\'ve used Trados without WS. I\'ve also never used MultiTerm.

I\'ve always created my TMs from scratch, for each project.

Now I have a large project with a client who has sent me a .txt file for a termbase. She has told me repeatedly how to import it into workbench, after I have created my project, but to create a project, one needs to use WS. My problem is that it has disappeared: Under Programs-Trados- I have four choices: Font Mapper; MultiTerm; T-Windows, and Translation, which includes WinAlign, Workbench and TagEditor. The docs she sent me are in TagEditor. I could just go ahead and translate, but she sent me a large database and I would like to apply it, if only to learn how to use this feature! Help! TIA

Note added:

Yes, Ralf: I meant I always created my TMs from scratch.

How do I transform this .txt file into a Multi-term database, and how do I use it once that\'s done? I understand now from your replies that WS is not necessary.

Nancy

[ This Message was edited by: NancyLynn on 2003-03-24 17:24]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
a Termbase is for Multiterm! Mar 24, 2003

As far as I know, a term base is for Multiterm. And you don\'t need Workspace for working with a huge volume translation. TagEditor, Workbench and Multiterm.

I you need some help to import the termbase into Multiterm, I can help you.

Regards,

Clarisa

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
English to German
+ ...
Let's clarify a few things Mar 24, 2003

Hi, Nancy Lynn,

First of all, unless your customer sends you a translation package (.twp), there\'s no need to use Workspace. It\'s very unlikely that they did that, actually, since that would mean they use Workspace to manage their projects (which even I, as a convinced Trados addict, cannot believe...).

There\'s a few things I don\'t get straight (yet):

Quote:

I\'ve also never used... See more
Hi, Nancy Lynn,

First of all, unless your customer sends you a translation package (.twp), there\'s no need to use Workspace. It\'s very unlikely that they did that, actually, since that would mean they use Workspace to manage their projects (which even I, as a convinced Trados addict, cannot believe...).

There\'s a few things I don\'t get straight (yet):

Quote:

I\'ve also never used MultiTerm.

I\'ve always created my termbases from scratch, for each project.

If you never used MT, how did you create your termbases? Or were you referring to translation memories?

Quote:

Now I have a large project with a client who has sent me a .txt file for a termbase. She has told me repeatedly how to import it into workbench, ...

Here I have a problem - if that .txt file is for a termbase, you would need to know how to import it into MultiTerm. If it\'s a translation memory export, you need to import it into your TM (in Workbench), or to create a new TM on that basis.

Just to get this straight: MultiTerm is for terminology (\"termbase\"), while Workbench is used to store sentences or phrases (\"translation memory\").

If you\'re unsure as to what\'s in that text file your customer sent you, contact me through my profile - if you send the file over, I\'ll have a look at it.

Best regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
German
+ ...
Proposal Mar 24, 2003

Hi Nancy Lynn,

without getting into much details, here my suggestion:

open Multiterm and create a new, empty Termbase. Select import in the file menu.

Take a look at the dialog that opens, if everything looks OK to you, klick on OK and select the txt file from your client.

Now, this only works, if the settings you select, correspond with the settings of the txt. If it doesn\'t work, go to the Trados website or look at your manual.

... See more
Hi Nancy Lynn,

without getting into much details, here my suggestion:

open Multiterm and create a new, empty Termbase. Select import in the file menu.

Take a look at the dialog that opens, if everything looks OK to you, klick on OK and select the txt file from your client.

Now, this only works, if the settings you select, correspond with the settings of the txt. If it doesn\'t work, go to the Trados website or look at your manual.

After successfully importing your Termbase (leave it open), open Tag editor via Start, Trados, Translation, Tageditor and open one of the client\'s files there. Now you can play around and see how it works (again, I don\'t want to get into details here).

Hope it helps.

Frank

Oh, I forgot that there is Ralf. Follow whatever he says. He\'s forgotten more about Trados than I will ever know.

[ This Message was edited by: frankbr on 2003-03-24 16:59]
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pity you did not put all your TU's into one TM. Mar 26, 2003

Hi Nancy Lynn, if you still need help, first of all I would suggest not to use MultiTerm (MT) as it\'s too much of a hassle to import terminology. I could tell you how to do it though, just ask. In addition, I find it bothersome that the MT box goes off and on my screen, besides, anything you want to find you can find through the Concordance function by highlighting the word and pressing Alt and Arrow Up. You will then get a list with all the sentences, a better selection thatn MT alone can off... See more
Hi Nancy Lynn, if you still need help, first of all I would suggest not to use MultiTerm (MT) as it\'s too much of a hassle to import terminology. I could tell you how to do it though, just ask. In addition, I find it bothersome that the MT box goes off and on my screen, besides, anything you want to find you can find through the Concordance function by highlighting the word and pressing Alt and Arrow Up. You will then get a list with all the sentences, a better selection thatn MT alone can offer. Having gotten that out of the way, there is no need to concern yourself with MT. As it is very unlikely that the client sent you a TM base, s/he must have sent you a TM.

This consists of 5 Trados files, by clicking on the file with the extension *tmw (I think that\'s what it is) will bring you right into Workbench with the appropriate memory running. So far so good, now you can work. When you are done, you go to file and export (*.txt), which you can then import into you own TM. It looks more difficult than it is. By the way, I suggest you open up all your memories and export these and then import into one so you get all your ducks in a row. Having separate memories won\'t do you any good as your concordance won\'t work either as it only looks in the current opened memory. Try it and you\'ll see, holler help if needed.

Marijke

[ This Message was edited by: MarikaJoan on 2003-03-26 12:28]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:46
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marijke Mar 26, 2003

You make a very good point of \'getting all the ducks in a row\'. Everyone has been so helpful. I fell so much more confident knowing I can contact my professional colleagues who will take time out of their busy workday to help me.

Thanks, everyone, and thanks Henry for Proz.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WorkSpace doesn\'t exist

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »