Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
German to English
Mar 19, 2003

Hi to all FrameMaker experts!

I have a question about FrameMaker and Trados. I\'ve never used FrameMaker but it looks like I\'ll need to in the future so the learning curve starts here. I have Trados 5.5 which includes the FrameMaker tag verifier and font mapper. Do I need to install FrameMaker on my PC or can I work without it? Do you check the files in FrameMaker? What is the actual process you use when you receive a FrameMaker file - or where can I learn how to do it? Do I need to d
... See more
Hi to all FrameMaker experts!

I have a question about FrameMaker and Trados. I\'ve never used FrameMaker but it looks like I\'ll need to in the future so the learning curve starts here. I have Trados 5.5 which includes the FrameMaker tag verifier and font mapper. Do I need to install FrameMaker on my PC or can I work without it? Do you check the files in FrameMaker? What is the actual process you use when you receive a FrameMaker file - or where can I learn how to do it? Do I need to download extra drivers (or anything else) before starting to use Trados with FrameMaker?

Thanks for all and any help and happy translating.

Gillian
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:34
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It depends Mar 19, 2003

on which kind of files will you get from your customer.

If you get *.MIF (Maker Interchange Format), then it will not be necessary to have FM on your PC. But if you get *.fm files, you will need the proper or higher version of FM on your PC in order to save the files as MIF.

Working with *.MIF files is quite easy then.

But what isn´t very easy for the first time is working with WorkSpace. And this is the tool you will need to convert MIF to translatable
... See more
on which kind of files will you get from your customer.

If you get *.MIF (Maker Interchange Format), then it will not be necessary to have FM on your PC. But if you get *.fm files, you will need the proper or higher version of FM on your PC in order to save the files as MIF.

Working with *.MIF files is quite easy then.

But what isn´t very easy for the first time is working with WorkSpace. And this is the tool you will need to convert MIF to translatable format. After geeting out how it works with WorkSpace it is then easy to use it. Only the first steps with setting a new project are quite complicated and not well described.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Frustration in workspace Apr 2, 2003

Hi Jerzy,

I managed to import the .fm files first to .mif and then apparently to STF - I managed to find the .STF file and import it and translate it in tageditor. (Is it best to do it there or in word as an .rtf?) I saved the tageditor file and went back to workspace. I asked it to convert the stf back to mif which it has apparently done but where is that .mif file? I can\'t reimport it into FrameMaker unless I can find it and right now I can\'t find it!!! Did I miss a step somewhere?
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

I managed to import the .fm files first to .mif and then apparently to STF - I managed to find the .STF file and import it and translate it in tageditor. (Is it best to do it there or in word as an .rtf?) I saved the tageditor file and went back to workspace. I asked it to convert the stf back to mif which it has apparently done but where is that .mif file? I can\'t reimport it into FrameMaker unless I can find it and right now I can\'t find it!!! Did I miss a step somewhere? Do I have to clean the file first - I seem to remember not. Using workspace creates so many files and directories I\'m baffled as to where the file has gone and can only find source versions on my system but no target ones aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhh!!! Did the name change somewhere? I can find a target rtf file but not the target mif. Thanks for any enlightenment you may have.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FrameMaker/Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »