How to treat tables of contents and other automatic features when using TRADOS?
Thread poster: Planogroup
Planogroup
Planogroup
Greece
Local time: 13:49
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 8, 2003

I am currently working on a document containing many automatically created features such as a table of contents and links to various pages and titles. My client has asked me to use Trados. I am afraid that all such features will be lost during clean-up and major re-formatting will be needed.

Any suggestions?

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
English to German
+ ...
Use Bookmark Handler Mar 8, 2003

If there are more bookmarks than only TOC, these can get pretty messed up. Trados has released a Bookmark Handler to prepare files containing bookmarks. The Zip-file has 33 KB, please contact me via my profile page, and I can send it to you. If it´s only TOC, just skip it, translate the file and after cleanup right-click on the TOC and select \"update content\".

Daniel

Planogroup
Planogroup
Greece
Local time: 13:49
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 8, 2003

Thanks for the tip Daniel. Fortunately the bookmarks are TOC, so I will cross my fingers and pray that the damage will be limited to a minimum.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados and fields Mar 8, 2003

I don\'t know if this will work for everything but I usually check mark the box Field Codes under Tools -> Options -> View -> Show while translating. Trados will then skip all fields (including the TOC). The only thing you will see in your document is something like:

{TOC...} marked in grey.

I usually do the translation in Normal View. After clean-up, these fields do not seem to be affected.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to treat tables of contents and other automatic features when using TRADOS?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »