Marina Capalbo  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2003

Dear Proz Mates

here\'s my question:

I have Trados 5.0 installed on my PC

I\'ve been offered a great job, but I need Trados 3.0 for that. The client will provide me with the software and its own dongle.

Two questions:

Can I install Trados 3.0 without uninstalling Trados 5.0? Would that cause a conflict?

Second: Do I need to remove my own dongle and replace it with my client\'s dongle?

Thanks
... See more
Dear Proz Mates

here\'s my question:

I have Trados 5.0 installed on my PC

I\'ve been offered a great job, but I need Trados 3.0 for that. The client will provide me with the software and its own dongle.

Two questions:

Can I install Trados 3.0 without uninstalling Trados 5.0? Would that cause a conflict?

Second: Do I need to remove my own dongle and replace it with my client\'s dongle?

Thanks a lot for your help

Collapse

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, Marina! Mar 5, 2003

When I installed 5.5 I already had 3.0 in my PC, but the program itself searche for unnecessary program files and replaced as needed.

As regards the dongle, I guess you should use the one your client provides. There is only one slot in the CPU where you can insert it, so you won\'t be able o have both at the same time.

Hope this helps you!

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe Mar 5, 2003

Hello,

first it is not necessary to work with Trados 3. You can work in Trados 5.

We know, that it is not possible to work with Trados 3 and Trados 5.5 on the same pc.

Hans

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I'd be careful Mar 5, 2003

I don\'t think that you will need to replace the dongle; your own dongle should be backwards compatible. I had both versions, 3 and 5, on my old system, with the dongle upgraded to be compatible with v. 5. (I must admit, though, that I never went back to V.3 after having switched to 5.5, and never had any compatibility issues with clients who wanted uncleaned files).

I imagine you can install v. 3 on your system without uninstalling v.5. You must, however, clearly separate t
... See more
I don\'t think that you will need to replace the dongle; your own dongle should be backwards compatible. I had both versions, 3 and 5, on my old system, with the dongle upgraded to be compatible with v. 5. (I must admit, though, that I never went back to V.3 after having switched to 5.5, and never had any compatibility issues with clients who wanted uncleaned files).

I imagine you can install v. 3 on your system without uninstalling v.5. You must, however, clearly separate the two versions on your system. They must be installed in separate folders, and you must register the version you wish to use with the operating system (each version has a file called SelfRegister.bat or similar).

There is an article in the Trados Knowledge Base (at least there used to be) called \"What is important when you have a parallel installation of former Editions (3.x or earlier) and Trados 5?\" (Article ID is 879) I would urge you to read this before making any changes to your system. That KB article also contains instructions on how to register each version of Trados in the registry.

You might also find some good information (and help!) in the tw_users group (on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tw_users) or in their archives (you must be a member to search the archives, but it\'s very easy to join).

But why do you need to use Trados V. 3? If there is an existing TM, your client could export it for you, and you could provide them with an exported text file of your TM when the translation is finished. Trados no longer supports FL V.3, and I personally would be hesitant to install old software on my system.

Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another important comment Mar 5, 2003

Elaborating on what Ulrike Lieder says, I must warn you not to install Trados 3 (or any other 16-bit (older) application) if your computer has Windows XP installed. If you do, you are asking for serious trouble.

Former Windows versions (ME, 98, 95) do not exhibit this problem.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:39
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
They are compatible Mar 5, 2003

I\'m not aware of any compatibility problem between Trados 5.0, 5.5 and 3.0x

Ask the Trados support or just perform a test (small file) with your 5.x version and ask the customer to check the files that you deliver.

They should be able to use both, your files and your TM.

Gianfranco

Marina Capalbo
Marina Capalbo  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a bunch Mar 5, 2003

thanks a bunch for your useful help

I think I\'ll do a test first and then I\'ll ask my client

He said I could only work with Trados 3.0 but he might not be aware the two versions are compatible .....

Many many thanks

Marina

Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)
Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
but be careful - formatting issues Mar 5, 2003

Hi there,

I ignore whether you can have Trados 3 and Trados 5 on the same machine,

but I do know that the backward compatibility may not be 100% OK because I\'ve had problems with this myself:

I use Trados 3 and received an exported tm from Trados 5. Client assured that wordcount was, say, 10000. Well, after importing the tm into my Trados 3, wordcount was, say, 14000.

The explanation lied in the fact that, a
... See more
Hi there,

I ignore whether you can have Trados 3 and Trados 5 on the same machine,

but I do know that the backward compatibility may not be 100% OK because I\'ve had problems with this myself:

I use Trados 3 and received an exported tm from Trados 5. Client assured that wordcount was, say, 10000. Well, after importing the tm into my Trados 3, wordcount was, say, 14000.

The explanation lied in the fact that, after importing, my Trados 3 tm did not \"receive\" all tags as such tags, but as text elements instead.

So, if there was say a <fc:> TAG, in the Trados 3 tm it didn\'t show up as such TAG, but as the text \"<fc:>\" instead.

Apply this to many different tags and that\'s why my imported Trados 3 tm said 14000 words instead of the 10000 words of the original Trados 5 tm.

Conclusion is - if you are able to export your tm to Trados 3 after using Trados 5, be careful to make sure that tags will come up as tags in Trados 3, and not as mere text.

Otherwise, the client using Trados 3 will have a great deal of problems when trying to use their Trados 3 tm with other Trados 3 projects (if the tag comes out as mere text, they\'ll have to re-write the whole segment. Multiply this by many tags and you have many segments that they\'ll have to re-write).

Cheers & Good luck

Collapse

Lesley Costa
Lesley Costa  Identity Verified
Monaco
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
trados Mar 13, 2003

I would like to have a training for Trados.Who can I call or mail in order to have a training?

thank you very much.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the Trados Website Mar 14, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-13 15:43, lesly wrote:

I would like to have a training for Trados.Who can I call or mail in order to have a training?

thank you very much.

Go to www.trados.com/officelo_de.asp?lang=de&cat=5&site=262&action=officelo select your country and hit \"G... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-13 15:43, lesly wrote:

thank you very much.

Go to www.trados.com/officelo_de.asp?lang=de&cat=5&site=262&action=officelo select your country and hit \"Go\".

Best, Ralf ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 3.0 and Trados 5.0

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »