https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/884-speech_recognition_softwares.html&phpv_redirected=1

Speech recognition softwares
Thread poster: Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 22, 2001

Does anybody know a fast and reliable product to recommend?

Hans-Gerhard Leppert
Hans-Gerhard Leppert  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking Dec 22, 2001

I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred for a while now. It works quite well. But do not overestimate it - you must re-read very carefully and correct a lot. But I consider it a big help anyway, as you simply save a lot of typing work - and typing errors.

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Power Dictate Generation 4 Dec 22, 2001

Ciao Barbara,

Power Dictate Generation 4 is not expensive and it works pretty well. It uses Via Voice technology. It does take some exercise to get acquainted with the use of the programme and you have to speak very clearly and consistently.

It also recognizes orders like:\'new line\' or \'new paragraph\', \'question mark\'.

Works best if you are in a quiet place. Anzi, you HAVE to be in a quiet environment. Traffic noise in the background or
... See more
Ciao Barbara,

Power Dictate Generation 4 is not expensive and it works pretty well. It uses Via Voice technology. It does take some exercise to get acquainted with the use of the programme and you have to speak very clearly and consistently.

It also recognizes orders like:\'new line\' or \'new paragraph\', \'question mark\'.

Works best if you are in a quiet place. Anzi, you HAVE to be in a quiet environment. Traffic noise in the background or a vacuum cleaner.... forget it!

All in all, this dictating system is useful but not perfect yet.

Regards,

Thijs van Dorssen, Cologne, Germany
Collapse

Perereinger (X)
Perereinger (X)
Speech recognition software Jan 15, 2002

I have been using IBM via voice for 6 years now through various upgrades and provided you have a powerful enough machine I find it almost 99% accurate. Indeed I use it alongide Trados freelance, copy and pasting the translated material into trados for much quicker translating.

You need a 21 inch monitor to be able to do this without hassle!

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
German to English
+ ...
How powerful does your PC have to be? Jan 21, 2002

Hi Ken,

How powerful does your machine have to be? Does this mean RAM or processor speed or both?

Do the newer programs handle background noise well? I live on a busy street, so I can\'t eliminate it completely by closing the door.

Thanks for any info,

Daina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech recognition softwares

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »