Thread poster: Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2007

Does anyone knows any useful CAT tool for interpreters? I can guess there should be some software to improve the interpreter performance when he/she tries to create or to retrieve some terminology or even when he/she is at work in the booth...

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Database lookups Oct 22, 2007

I could imagine that the possibility of searching bilingual material that is stored in a TM could be useful. AFAIK, this feature is offered by any CAT tool, although it is not always as comfortable to use.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:14
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Terminology base Oct 22, 2007

I suppose that if you just want to check glossaries created by yourself beforehand, any terminology software would do.

For starters, you could check ApSIC Xbench, a free tool created for that purpose:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Electronic dictionaries, own dictionaries Oct 22, 2007

Hi,
In the booth I usually have my laptop where I have several bilingual dictionaries as well as my own glossaries and of course reference materials sent by client. However, it's rather a backup or a last resort help - I always try to rely on my memory and do proper research before the assignment. But the laptop (and Internet) certainly helps: I remember a conference where one of the speakers listed a number of (not so common) chemical substances - at this point both me and my booth partne
... See more
Hi,
In the booth I usually have my laptop where I have several bilingual dictionaries as well as my own glossaries and of course reference materials sent by client. However, it's rather a backup or a last resort help - I always try to rely on my memory and do proper research before the assignment. But the laptop (and Internet) certainly helps: I remember a conference where one of the speakers listed a number of (not so common) chemical substances - at this point both me and my booth partners relied heavily on a bilingual chemical dictionary we had on our laptops. Finding the entry WHILE interpreting is not an easy task, however

I also experimented with CAT tools in the research phase: I used Wordfast and one other tool to create bilingual word lists from reference materials to quickly retrieve relevant terminology. It didn't worked well I must say. First, because 90% of materials are in PowerPoint and CAT tools do not like this format, second the time spend on cleaning the list from unnecessary words was not worth it. So I rather rely on traditional method: reading the files and making notes.

HTH,
Magda
Collapse

Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some useful tools Oct 26, 2007

Hi Magda, Wolfgang and Jabberwock, thanks for your comments.

I received some very intersting suggestions from Bruno Ciola, in the Italian post of this same question. He suggested me these softwares:

- interplex: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article1028.htm... See more
Hi Magda, Wolfgang and Jabberwock, thanks for your comments.

I received some very intersting suggestions from Bruno Ciola, in the Italian post of this same question. He suggested me these softwares:

- interplex: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article1028.htm
- LookUp: http://www.lookup-online.de/
- TermDB (sviluppato da Christian Vogeler)
- InterpretBank (in fase di sviluppo da parte di Claudio Fantinuoli).
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Reference search Oct 26, 2007

Magda Dziadosz wrote:
I also experimented with CAT tools in the research phase: I used Wordfast and one other tool to create bilingual word lists from reference materials to quickly retrieve relevant terminology. It didn't worked well I must say. First, because 90% of materials are in PowerPoint and CAT tools do not like this format, second the time spend on cleaning the list from unnecessary words was not worth it. So I rather rely on traditional method: reading the files and making notes.
Magda

The best plan with Wordfast is to put such material in WF's "Reference" directory. Everything is converted into plain text (so use a copy!) and you then get a display of all instances of a term or expression (and its translation, if any) by just pressing the "Reference search" button on the WF toolbar. It' lightning fast.

HTH
David

Gregor_Mikesa
Gregor_Mikesa
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
InterpretBank experience Dec 29, 2015

Hello!

I am writing a paper about the tool InterpretBank. This software was created for Interpreters by Mr. Claudio Fantinuoli. Is here anybody, who is experienced in this software? I am searching 2 or 3 people for an interview for my paper. It would be very helpful if somebody would like to get interviewed. If you are interested, send me a PM or an Email ([email protected]).

Thank you!!!

With best regards
Gregor

[Edited at 2015-12-29 15:3
... See more
Hello!

I am writing a paper about the tool InterpretBank. This software was created for Interpreters by Mr. Claudio Fantinuoli. Is here anybody, who is experienced in this software? I am searching 2 or 3 people for an interview for my paper. It would be very helpful if somebody would like to get interviewed. If you are interested, send me a PM or an Email ([email protected]).

Thank you!!!

With best regards
Gregor

[Edited at 2015-12-29 15:35 GMT]
Collapse

Gregor_Mikesa
Gregor_Mikesa
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
CAT-Tools for Interpreters Dec 29, 2015

humana wrote:

Does anyone knows any useful CAT tool for interpreters? I can guess there should be some software to improve the interpreter performance when he/she tries to create or to retrieve some terminology or even when he/she is at work in the booth...

Hello!

InterpretBank is the newest, I think. There are some others of Course, for example Interpley, LookUP and TermDB.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for Interpreters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »